cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rampage V Extreme M.2 Setup And Windows Installation FAQ

Chino
Level 15

Installing Windows isn’t exactly rocket science. Most of us have probably gone through this process more than once in our lifetime. But M.2 is a relatively new technology after all so it’s normal that some questions will arise. If you’re planning to use this new form factor, I’ve put together a list of the most commonly asked questions.

Just a quick note. The tests in this FAQ were done on the Plextor M6e PX-AG256M6e 256GB which comes with its own OPROM. There are a few drives out there that lack an OPROM so you might need to modify additional settings to make it bootable. Unfortunately, I do not own one of those drives so I can’t tell you what to change. But if I happened to get my hands on one later on, I’ll update this post.

What types of M.2 SSD does the ASUS Rampage V Extreme support?
The ASUS Rampage V Extreme only supports M.2 PCI-Express SSDs. Before you go out and make your purchase, you should first verify that the SSD that you are considering is PCIe based.

What settings do I need to change in the BIOS?
There is only one setting that needs changing. If you were previously fiddling with other settings in the Boot tab, press F5 to load the optimized defaults. Then navigate to the Advanced tab and look under the Onboard Devices Configuration. Change the PCIEx8_4 and M.2 Configuration from Auto to M.2.

Should I install Windows from an USB flash drive or a DVD?
It’s up to you. Personally, I prefer to do my installations from an USB flash drive because it’s quicker. Windows 8.1 PRO took just 7 minutes to install.

Should I install Windows in UEFI mode or legacy mode?
For Plextor M6e owners, you can go with either install. Nevertheless a UEFI installation would be ideal since you get faster boot up times, better integration with hardware and a few extra features.

For Samsung XP941 owners, you're stucked with UEFI. Since the UEFI driver is embedded into the firmware itself, you will have no problems installing in this mode. The problem arises when you want to do a legacy installation because it requires a driver to be loaded during the installation process. With the XP941 being an OEM product, there are no drivers available to install in legacy mode.

How do I install Windows in UEFI mode?
As soon as the ASUS logo pops up during post, spam the F8 key. You will then be presented with a window to choose your boot device. Select your installation media that has the UEFI prefix.

Do I need any additional drivers during the Windows installation process?
No, you do not. I’ve installed the 64 Bit versions of Windows 8.1 Pro and Windows 7 Ultimate onto the Plextor M6e 256GB without the need to introduce any additional drivers during the installation process.

What kind of performance should I be expecting?
Here's a few benchmarks I ran with the Plextor M6e on a fresh Windows 8.1 PRO install.
324 REPLIES 324

Praz
Level 13
Hello

Nice guide Chino. Thanks.

Counteragent77
Level 7
Top job couldn't agree more.... the M.2 is a very amazing Tech... I think it will be a slow take up

tistou77
Level 13
Thanks for this guide 🙂

You have benchmark for the Plextor M6e 256GB (Crystal Disk Mark, AS SSD, etc...)?
Sorry for my english 😄

Case: Lian Li A77F
MB: Rampage VI Extreme Encore
CPU: i9 10980XE
RAM: G.Skill Trident Z RGB Royal 4x8Gb @4000 C16
GPU: EVGA RTX 2080ti XC Ultra
PSU: Seasonic Prime Ultra Titanium 1000W
DATA: Samsung 980 Pro
SOUND: Asus Xonar Phoebus

tistou77 wrote:
Thanks for this guide 🙂

You have benchmark for the Plextor M6e 256GB (Crystal Disk Mark, AS SSD, etc...)?

Benchmarks have been added to the opening post.

tistou77 wrote:
Thanks for this guide 🙂

when will the asus hyper m.2 x4 expansion card be available im in the uk

Randolla
Level 7
If anyone needs help installing Windows on a Samsung XP941, send me a PM. I will try to post some pointers here when I get in front of my computer and I have the time. Peter from Germany asked for help and was able to successfully install Windows 7 on the Sammy.
5930K @4.5
ASUS Rampage 5 Extreme X99
16 Gbs Corsair Dominator 2666Mhz RAM
Two, EVGA Nvidia Titan X's in SLI
Samsung XP941 M2 512 Gb M2 boot drive
EVGA SuperNOVA P1200 PSU
Case Labs Merlin Full Tower
NZXT Kraken X61 AiO CPU cooler with four 140mm Noctura Industrial fans
Overlord Tempest O27X Monitor @ 118 Hz

Randolla wrote:
If anyone needs help installing Windows on a Samsung XP941, send me a PM. I will try to post some pointers here when I get in front of my computer and I have the time. Peter from Germany asked for help and was able to successfully install Windows 7 on the Sammy.

It's good to see some more community guides for installing Windows in UEFI mode on M.2

We wrote a full guide, complete with video capture, for installing Windows 8.1 on the XP941 here. Hope it's useful.

-------------------------

Rod - Vendor rep for ramcity.com.au

RamCity wrote:
It's good to see some more community guides for installing Windows in UEFI mode on M.2

We wrote a full guide, complete with video capture, for installing Windows 8.1 on the XP941 here. Hope it's useful.

-------------------------

Rod - Vendor rep for ramcity.com.au

It was useful. One thing I learned was to use the RUFUS program that you recommended to put the Windows 7 ISO image onto the USB drive instead of using the tool that Microsoft told me to use.

I also purchased my drive from you guys. I was amazed at how fast it showed up in Vermont USA from Australia. Faster than the week it would have taken if it was shipped from Calif. I also received an email checking with me to make sure that I had a compatible motherboard BEFORE you shipped it out to me. I thought that was a nice touch.
5930K @4.5
ASUS Rampage 5 Extreme X99
16 Gbs Corsair Dominator 2666Mhz RAM
Two, EVGA Nvidia Titan X's in SLI
Samsung XP941 M2 512 Gb M2 boot drive
EVGA SuperNOVA P1200 PSU
Case Labs Merlin Full Tower
NZXT Kraken X61 AiO CPU cooler with four 140mm Noctura Industrial fans
Overlord Tempest O27X Monitor @ 118 Hz

Randolla wrote:

Randolla: or anyone else. I am trying to install Windows 7 on the Samsung XP941 drive installed in an ASUS X99-E WS motherboard. ASUS support told me that it could not be done, but I have seen posts that contradict that. I have found instructions for Windows 8. What are the steps for Win 7?