cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maximus VII Hero and Corsair H105 CPU Cooler Wiring

JeffRakes
Level 7
Hi All,
Building rig for son (Christmas present)

Corsair Carbide Air 540
ASUS Maximus VII Hero
i7 - 4790k
Corsair H105 CPU Cooler
(2) EVGA GeForce GTX 660 SC in SLI (Existing from previous build)
16 Gb G.SKILL Trident X DDR3 2400
Corsair AX860 Power Supply
Samsung 840 Pro 256 Gb SSD
(2) Western Digital Black 1 Tb HDD (Existing from previous build)
LG DVD (Existing from previous build)

My Question ...
I assume the best way to wire the H105 is pump to PS via 4 pin molex / 3 pin fan and wire the fans to CPU_FAN header via y-connector. This way fans are controllable and pump is always full power. On Corsair forum a Corsair rep said to wire pump to CPU_OPT header and fans to CPU_FAN via y-connector. I was under the impression CPU_OPT header mirrors CPU_FAN on VII Hero. Wouldn't this mean if fans aren't running full power, pump wouldn't get full power either?

Thx for you help!
5 REPLIES 5

ConkersGrillfor
Level 9
Why do you want to run the pump at full power all the time with a four-core Intel processor? :confused:
Connect the pump to the CPU_FAN header and the fans to the CPU_OPT header and you'll be just fine.
Desktop: Xigmatek Elysium | Rampage IV Extreme | i7-3960X | G.Skill 32Gb DDR3 2133Mhz|fastest Asus MarsII on the planet:cool: core 950Mhz| Kingston HyperX SSD 240Gb + 300Gb Intel 300series SSD + Velociraptor 600Gb + 3TB HDD | Enermax Maxrevo 1500W| 3xDell U2412m |
Laptop: Samsung 940X3G | i7-4500U | 8Gb RAM | 256Gb SSD | 13.3" 3200x1800 |

jab383
Level 13
Hi Jeff Rakes, and welcome

Good looking list for the new build. It should work for daily use and extended gaming.

I must disagree about the pump arrangement. The pump, especially the little pumps on all-in-one water kits, needs to run full power full time. There is nothing to gain from reducing pump power and perhaps something to lose. How much current does the pump draw? The MB headers are rated for 1 amp each. If the pump draws more than that, the MB can be damaged.

The fans can run from a single CPU header through a Y or one can connect to CPU_FAN and the other to CPU_OPT. Fans should make all the noise which can be mitigated by a profile set in BIOS that makes noise only when things warm up.

I'm glad you're not considering Corsair Link - it's known to not play well with others.

Jeff

Hi Jeff
Thanks for confirming my thoughts. The H105 fans get really loud at full power so I felt running them through CPU_FAN will allow control via a profile. Most reviews say running the SP120 fans at mid power will keep the 4790k pretty cool except during overclocking and then they may need to be run at a higher rpm. I also read where Corsair Link and the Maximus VII board software didn't play well together, thanks for the confirmation. I noticed you have a nice custom cooling setup. I assume your're running your pump straight off the PSU.

Thx
Jeff

jab383
Level 13
That's right - pump straight from the PSU. I use a separate water temperature sensor and one of the OPT_SENS / OPT_FAN sets of the M6F to control the radiator fans -- one advantage of a custom loop. Front, back and side fans standard CHA-FAN connections.

Jeff

jab383 wrote:
Hi Jeff Rakes, and welcome

Good looking list for the new build. It should work for daily use and extended gaming.

I must disagree about the pump arrangement. The pump, especially the little pumps on all-in-one water kits, needs to run full power full time. There is nothing to gain from reducing pump power and perhaps something to lose. How much current does the pump draw? The MB headers are rated for 1 amp each. If the pump draws more than that, the MB can be damaged.

The fans can run from a single CPU header through a Y or one can connect to CPU_FAN and the other to CPU_OPT. Fans should make all the noise which can be mitigated by a profile set in BIOS that makes noise only when things warm up.

I'm glad you're not considering Corsair Link - it's known to not play well with others.

Jeff

If there is nothing to gain only to loose with lower pump speeds, then explain me please why does many watercooling (not AIO) pumps have speed settings?!?
It's true that a pump can take damage, if it runs at speeds, where it isn't able to push the water through the loop. That's why one can find such pump curve diagrams to determine, which minimum speed setting is necessary.

Corsair AIO watercooler work just fine with the power delivered directly from the motherboard. Otherwise it would be wierd why they would recommend to install the pump to the CPU_FAN header and the fans to the CPU_OPT header. Anyway I don't think pump speeds vary that much on such small pumps, possibly it always runs at 100%.

JeffRakes wrote:
Hi Jeff
Thanks for confirming my thoughts. The H105 fans get really loud at full power so I felt running them through CPU_FAN will allow control via a profile. Most reviews say running the SP120 fans at mid power will keep the 4790k pretty cool except during overclocking and then they may need to be run at a higher rpm. I also read where Corsair Link and the Maximus VII board software didn't play well together, thanks for the confirmation. I noticed you have a nice custom cooling setup. I assume your're running your pump straight off the PSU.

Thx
Jeff

Buy two or four Noiseblocker NB-eLoops or Corsair Air Series Quiet then to reduce noise in comparison to the fans included in the package.
Desktop: Xigmatek Elysium | Rampage IV Extreme | i7-3960X | G.Skill 32Gb DDR3 2133Mhz|fastest Asus MarsII on the planet:cool: core 950Mhz| Kingston HyperX SSD 240Gb + 300Gb Intel 300series SSD + Velociraptor 600Gb + 3TB HDD | Enermax Maxrevo 1500W| 3xDell U2412m |
Laptop: Samsung 940X3G | i7-4500U | 8Gb RAM | 256Gb SSD | 13.3" 3200x1800 |