cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New G751JM owner's thoughts

guvadc
Level 7
Ok, so I figured I'd make a new thread just for the G751JM. I haven't had it long, but figured I'd give some thoughts.

I really do love the touch screen. so far, Windows 8 is much better with it. The screen itself is not matte, its much like a screen on your smartphone. I have no if the screens on the higher end models are like this, but I can say that I MUCH prefer this screen to a matt screen. I find it a lot more pleasing to look at and work with.

This model with the GTX860m does have the Optimus drivers. From what I have gathered reading about last years models this is supposed to be bad. I don't know if anything has changed this year to make it better or not. If anyone knows id there is a way to disable the use of the HD4600 let me know. I think I did get a little over 4 hours of battery time and that was messing around with some game demos from Steam , like GRID 2. If the Optimus does improve batter life, then I think that will be a plus for my usage patterns.

I haven been in with PC gaming for a few years ( console game mostly), and am completely new to the ASUS ROG series. If anyone has tips for me , like should I uninstall the Nvidia Experience software, please let me know.

EDIT: So I see that I still can't get the thread title right . I meant it G751JM with the JM in all caps. can that be fixed?

Edit by cl-Albert: Ok, title has been edited to let readers know what to expect, so hope it's okay. Thanks.
23 REPLIES 23

hmscott
Level 12
guvadc wrote:
Ok, so I figured I'd make a new thread just for the G751JM. I haven't had it long, but figured I'd give some thoughts.

I really do love the touch screen. so far, Windows 8 is much better with it. The screen itself is not matte, its much like a screen on your smartphone. I have no if the screens on the higher end models are like this, but I can say that I MUCH prefer this screen to a matt screen. I find it a lot more pleasing to look at and work with.

This model with the GTX860m does have the Optimus drivers. From what I have gathered reading about last years models this is supposed to be bad. I don't know if anything has changed this year to make it better or not. If anyone knows id there is a way to disable the use of the HD4600 let me know. I think I did get a little over 4 hours of battery time and that was messing around with some game demos from Steam , like GRID 2. If the Optimus does improve batter life, then I think that will be a plus for my usage patterns.

I haven been in with PC gaming for a few years ( console game mostly), and am completely new to the ASUS ROG series. If anyone has tips for me , like should I uninstall the Nvidia Experience software, please let me know.

EDIT: So I see that I still can't get the thread title right . I meant it G751JM with the JM in all caps. can that be fixed?

guvadc, first, it's awesome you love your new G751JM 🙂

I was thinking about getting one as a backup, I already have a G750JH I am happy with, but hearing that the G751JM has Optimus, it is now off my list.

There are plenty of people that are happy with Optimus, so I wouldn't let that bother you, but there are a lot of people it does bother because there are a lot of downsides to the Optimus implementation that hasn't changed or improved for 5 years or so. It isn't a new issue.

First the battery gain isn't worth the bother. The G750JZ with Optimus someone tested for battery life got 3 hours and 45 minutes, and I get 3 hours and 15 minutes on my non-Optimus G750JH - the previous version to the G750JZ.

As Nvidia releases newer less battery hungry GPU's there will be less and less of a reason to burden the CPU with enabling an integrated GPU on the same die. In the JM/JS/JZ the CPU runs 10c hotter doing the same load / work as the JW/JX/JH due to Optimus.

You are locked out of using Nvidia controls for managing the video output, so you can set custom resolutions which allow for higher than 60hz refresh - you can't do 3D, you can't interface with an Oculus Rift - but if Intel updates their control panel that could change.

There have been crashing issues with the G750JM using the same GPU as your G751JM, the 860m. Users have reported crashing upon exiting games when trying to use newer Nvidia drivers than 332.60. Some have reported improvements in 344.11 and 344.48, but others are still reporting crashes. You should test this early on in your evaluation / return period so if it happens to you you can still return the laptop.

G750JM Daily BSODS, DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE
http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?48428-G750JM-Daily-BSODS-DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE&p=41066...

344.48 on g750jm? anyone tested? please share here!
http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?52991-344-48-on-g750jm-anyone-tested-please-share-here!

Value of a G750JM?
http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?53126-Value-of-a-G750JM

If you don't get crashes on newest Nvidia drivers that would be good news, please let us know!

Please let us know how it works out for you long term 🙂

^^^^^^^

Thanks for alerting me, I will watch it. In the second thread, I had already performed what was said In the last post....lets hope its ok....

By crashing in exiting games, do you mean BSOD when exiting? Problem I'm going to have is differentiating issue that you can commonly run into with computers as opposed to issues with the graphics card. Is there a specific game I should try. I did have one issue with the Grid 2 demo, the game froze on me while messing with the resolution and took awhile to recover, no errors associated with it though. Could have been anything .

With the Optimus drivers, will I have problems outputting to my TV via HDMI?

Thanks again, you are most helpful and friendly

guvadc wrote:
^^^^^^^

Thanks for alerting me, I will watch it. In the second thread, I had already performed what was said In the last post....lets hope its ok....

By crashing in exiting games, do you mean BSOD when exiting? Problem I'm going to have is differentiating issue that you can commonly run into with computers as opposed to issues with the graphics card. Is there a specific game I should try. I did have one issue with the Grid 2 demo, the game froze on me while messing with the resolution and took awhile to recover, no errors associated with it though. Could have been anything .

With the Optimus drivers, will I have problems outputting to my TV via HDMI?

Thanks again, you are most helpful and friendly

guvadc, the BSOD from the 860m problem with drivers newer than 332.60 seems to be consistent as only being one error code, and it seems tied only to running and then exiting games - either immediately or after a short while.

The error you described seems specific to what you were doing, some config / resolution config issue specific to that game.

A number of games have been mentioned, I would read through those and other related threads - there are quite a few - I only listed a few of the newer ones. This has been a problem since the G750JM release. Asus collected crash dumps from users in the forums and the next couple of Nvidia releases seem to crash less, but some are still getting the specific BSOD.

Someone recently was having problems setting up their external TV over HDMI, and they were using the Intel Conrtol panel along with the Nvidia control panel to set it up. The problem / solution was to switch from an extended desktop to using independent desktops - that fixed an audio issue between the laptop / receiver / TV. Hopefully it will just work fine for you.

Read up on the Optimus threads in the G750 forum, it will help you deal with Optimus and setting it correctly to run optimally with games / apps.

G750, G550 and G56 Gaming Notebooks
http://rog.asus.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?157-G750-G550-and-G56-Gaming-Notebooks

Again, don't worry about it being an issue, and if you run into a specific app/game that won't run on the Nvidia GPU, post here so we can help you figure it out. 🙂

guvadc
Level 7
So far things have been real good for the most part. Few VERY minor things. One is that the optical tray is on the left, and I sit on the left hand side of the couch mostly. Occasionally it bumps against the arm rest and opens. Also, it is a bit heavy for my lap 🙂 I think I need a lap desk or something.

Haven't had much time to try any games at all. Too busy with work. Got a little over 5 hours on the last charge. Is it best to completely drain the battery a few times to condition it before running on AC mostly?

What antivirus software are ppl using? I have a Norton 360 account and want to use that. I have it on other computers and fell it has a relatively small footprint, plus it's more than just antivirus. I also got Kaspersky free from BB when I purchased . Trying to decide which one to use.

guvadc wrote:
So far things have been real good for the most part. Few VERY minor things. One is that the optical tray is on the left, and I sit on the left hand side of the couch mostly. Occasionally it bumps against the arm rest and opens. Also, it is a bit heavy for my lap 🙂 I think I need a lap desk or something.

Haven't had much time to try any games at all. Too busy with work. Got a little over 5 hours on the last charge. Is it best to completely drain the battery a few times to condition it before running on AC mostly?

What antivirus software are ppl using? I have a Norton 360 account and want to use that. I have it on other computers and fell it has a relatively small footprint, plus it's more than just antivirus. I also got Kaspersky free from BB when I purchased . Trying to decide which one to use.

guvadc, don't worry about conditioning the battery, let the power circuit and your normal use do that. I wouldn't let the battery charge go below 20% unless necessary - it might be 5% or 10% - check your manual for advice and/or ask Asus directly.

The G751 is as heavy as a G750JH/JZ, heavy, and I can't use it on my lap either, I have a small table, desk, and tray for different locations.

Try loading steam and get some game time in 🙂

McAfee isn't popular, but on the G750 we got a full year free... I already had/have a Norton NIS and now Norton Security with Backup - and I find that works best for me, but there are lots of other choices out there. There are NIS/Security free 30 - 120 day trials, google it.

These days we get 3 - 5 machine licenses for Norton products, so your Norton 360 license like works on activating on the G751 too.

DungeonShredder, Norton fixed those problems long ago, give it a shot again, it installs fast and runs without noticeable effect on performance. I have tested it on benchmarks and game fps. Windows Defender is the very definition of inadequate protection - literally used as the 1.0 against which everything else is better.

http://www.av-test.org/en/antivirus/home-windows/windows-7/august-2014/norton-norton-internet-securi...

I hit the Blu-ray/DVD eject button on everything all the time, IDK why it is even a mentionable issue on the G751...

DungeonShredder
Level 7
G751JY came with Mcafee and had issues with it, uninstalled.
Norton I've tried it several times in the past it's bloatware will bring any PC to it's knees.
I haven't tried it in 3 years no idea if they fixed it.
I'm hearing a lot of talk about bit defender but have yet to try it.
I'm using windows defender atm. at the very least it's not a high impact program.

Joystick
Level 7
If you're thinking "eGPU", Optimus allows you to use the internal display. That is great news, as in 12 months your GTX 860M will be outdated. The bad news are you need a Thunderbolt solution, Intel doesn't like eGPU and probably Thunderbolt is the bottleneck.
Because of the small gap between a GTX 980M and a GTX 980, in 12 months an eGPU will not be contemplated by a G751JY user, besides a G751JY user will never contemplate an eGPU, because of the bottleneck syndrome.
I think Asus made the right choice: an extreme notebook for 980M users, who think the battery is just an UPS, and a down to earth version for 860M users.

craveywd
Level 7
I purchased my G751JM 3 days ago and I noticed the BSOD issue as well, but my driver updated yesterday and haven't noticed the problem since. I also uninstalled then reinstalled my game and chose to not optimize it through the Nvidia Experience and haven't had anymore issues. Not sure if it was that or the driver that seemed to have solved the issue.

Also, I would like to upgrade to an SSD, and I have no idea what I'm looking for. I'm new to the PC gaming, so I need some helpful advice!

craveywd wrote:
I purchased my G751JM 3 days ago and I noticed the BSOD issue as well, but my driver updated yesterday and haven't noticed the problem since. I also uninstalled then reinstalled my game and chose to not optimize it through the Nvidia Experience and haven't had anymore issues. Not sure if it was that or the driver that seemed to have solved the issue.

Also, I would like to upgrade to an SSD, and I have no idea what I'm looking for. I'm new to the PC gaming, so I need some helpful advice!

I recommend the Samsung EVO 840 🙂

I had both Intel, Kingston etc.. Somehow I just feel the quality is better with Samsung (and it's a huge improvement over the standard hdd it comes with).
The King of the north!