cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G751 non-replacable battery discussion

aucman
Level 7
Hi!

So as i am familiar the battery in new rog g751 is not replaceable. I also know that asus did that because it simplifies the design.

but....

If I will spend 2500$ on a laptop i think i will have this laptop at least 4 to 5 years. And even if after that time I do buy new laptop I still want the old one to work normaly.

Are these batteries any better than let say 5 years ago? I bet that after 4 years of constantly charging and recharging the battery will get depleted. So at that point your only chance in this laptop to work is to constantly have it plgued in in AC adpater.

Please somebody enlighten me on this problem.
47 REPLIES 47

Sagi
Level 7
It can be replaced if needed.. Just unscrew it.
The King of the north!

OK, question; if I remove (unscrew) the battery and place the parts on a shelf (I run from AC most of the time), will the computer operate normally?

Zip1 wrote:
OK, question; if I remove (unscrew) the battery and place the parts on a shelf (I run from AC most of the time), will the computer operate normally?

Zip1, at this point we are supposed to trust the charging circuit to maintain the battery long term, without removing it. That is likely why Asus made it non-user replaceable as they believe it will work long term without issues.

There is no evidence that supports removing the battery helps prolong it's life. Sitting on the shelf it is discharging, and if left there long enough it can be damaged from not maintaining a charge. It is safer under charging management than sitting on the shelf discharging.

I would be more worried about damaging the laptop during dis-assembly than I would about losing the battery.

If you are worried about the battery, I would a get a longer term support contract, I know I will be getting one from Asus and from the seller.

Sagi wrote:
It can be replaced if needed.. Just unscrew it.

Sagi/aucman, there are screws near the battery area, but we don't know if that will release the battery, you may need to remove the whole bottom cover to get at the battery area. Have you seen a video showing the dis-assembly to access the battery? Please post a link.

We don't know if it is user replaceable yet. We don't know if we can buy a replacement. If the battery dies outside of warranty we don't know if we can get a replacement then either.

Joystick
Level 7
A G751JY on battery mode is like a Ferrari pulled by one horse. If you are worried about the battery, you are buying the wrong notebook.

The possibility of fast battery removal is ESSENTIAL to save the laptop from any damage in case of accidental flooding (with cola, beer, wine, water, etc.)!!!
My old gaming laptop in its 4 years history has been flooded two times by my wife. Without my fast reaction and battery removal I would end with the bricked unit…
Looks like ASUS wants us to “enjoy” G751 till the first accident with beer 🙂

Sanctrum wrote:
The possibility of fast battery removal is ESSENTIAL to save the laptop from any damage in case of accidental flooding (with cola, beer, wine, water, etc.)!!!
My old gaming laptop in its 4 years history has been flooded two times by my wife. Without my fast reaction and battery removal I would end with the bricked unit…
Looks like ASUS wants us to “enjoy” G751 till the first accident with beer 🙂

as Sanctrum was saying, removing the battery to cut any kind of power on the laptop is ESSENTIAL in a case of water accident to avoid any further damage on the laptop,

a non-removal battery is also a good design, which gives more space for other components, better cooling system, but the issue here is not the non-removal component but the non-removal powersource(i dont know how to say it).. i wish they should at least put a mechanical switch to cut any power from the batter in a case of a water flood 😉

my old Dell Vostro also has a non removal battery, but we added a switch to it, because it is prone to being flooded (Clumsy Me), it works fine,

if only i can view on how to dismantle or open it, a video perhaps, i can work my way there.. 😮

I also put my laptop on the rice bin when it is flooded just like my phone 😉

Darnassus
Status Under Review
My thoughts exactly, Sanctrum.. the moment I heard the battery wasn't removable I instantly thought. 'Well, obviously that's just another future bottleneck and a reason to make us buy a new laptop when the battery dies.'

I totally agree with battery removal being essential, especially when I want to do a hardware reset, which I do near the end of the week to keep my unit conditioned.

When I get my hands on a G751 I'm soooo going to dismantle that thing and look at the battery.

hmscott
Level 12
Sanctrum/Darnassus, those are all excellent points, which for some reason weren't thought through by Asus. I asked these questions early on, and didn't get much traction.

They feel that if the power switch is off, the laptop power is removed from the motherboard, making it safe for adding/removing RAM/DISK.

They asked why would you want to do a power reset? Why would you want to clear the CMOS, when you can select Restore Defaults from the BIOS.

We need to tell Asus via Technical Inquiries, Feedback, how unworkable a non-removable battery is for an ROG laptop.

The only reason Asus gave for making the battery non-removable was that there wasn't much demand for additional batteries from users. So they thought that meant we weren't taking advantage of the removable battery feature. Asus didn't think we might only want 1 removable battery, but they were wrong.

If they restore the removable battery, I think we should all purchase at least 1 extra battery for it, I buy 1 as a backup in case the first one fails, or I need extended battery time for a trip. I used to get 2 extra for a total of 3 for when I traveled more, but don't really need the extra battery time.

But, I do remove the battery every time I work on it, to remove all power from the laptop.

If you aren't happy about not having a removable battery, let Asus know 🙂