cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

5960x Manual overclock - 24/7 system

timelapse
Level 7
After countless hours tinkering with AI Suite 3 and DIP5, I'm finally giving up on it. It's very powerful but has some annoying bugs.

I cleaned off AI Suite and re-installed (just to have temp and fan monitoring/control). Bios was set back to default.

From there, I have set up a simple manual OC.

AI Tuner is set to XMP (so I can use the profile on my 2400 DDR4 ram, 64GB)
Sync All cores is set to "41"
Max CPU cache is set to "41" (1:1 ratio with the main multiplier)
CPU core voltage is set to "adaptive"
Additional Turbo CPU core voltage is set to "1.275"

This is for workstation/content creation work running Adobe Creative Suite (mainly After Effects). Should I alter any of the other settings for optimal 24/7 OC? Any issues or concerns with my settings above? My VRM temps are mid 30's at idle and mid 50's under full-load.

Is there anything wrong with keeping Windows in "Performance" mode so the MHz do not fluctuate so much (between turbo and idle) if my voltage is at or under 1.3v?

More importantly, is there a way to keep the Additional Turbo CPU core voltage in "auto" while also applying a limit so it doesn't exceed a pre-defined value?

The reason I ask is because AI Suite 3 will get my system stable at 4.3GHZ @ 1.3v under most high loads-- however, when I do renders with 5k raw images (cr2 files from a Canon D-SLR) in After Effects, the voltage jumps to 1.35+ under max load and that's too high for my comfort level. It doesn't crash and the CPU temp doesn't exceed mid 60s but the VRM temp rises to high 50's.

I'm running a push pull config on a H100i with a 3000rpm exhaust fan and dual 140mm intake fans.

Thanks in advance for the advice and tips.
5 REPLIES 5

Mosc_007
Level 7
Forget about auto tuning. It assumes you have the worst CPU and does the settings accordingly.

I had to fix a mates 4820k which he used auto tune. The Dam thing put it on 4.6 Ghz which is fine for that CPU but it had Vcore on 1.420 Volts which is ridiculous. I did a manual tune and kept the 4.6 Ghz and ended up at 1.290 Vcore fully stable. (1.270 + .020 for reliability).

What you have looks good. The only thing for 24/7 may be overclocking the cache to 4.1 Ghz. Did you check what voltage it put on the cache in Auto for that much cache over clock ?

Unless you have a poor CPU you can probably do 4.3 or 4.4 Ghz with 1.275 volts. Mined ended up fully stable at 4.4 Ghz with 1.280 Vcore. (Actually was 1.260 but I added .020 for reliability).

You will need to do a real good Stability test with Adaptive mode because I found I needed a lot higher Vcore for adaptive to work without BSOD'ing. I had the same problem with Offset mode. Fixed Vcore was stable at a lower voltage. You also might have to play with LLC to keep the voltage constant when under load. With 4.4 Ghz and 1.280 Vcore a LLC value of 8 keeps mine rock steady.

I would use a fixed Vcore with a Lot less voltage at 4.1 Ghz. Probably only need 1.200 Volts, maybe less. For 24/7 Use.

Your cooling looks fine. As long as you don't go silly with clocks and voltages these things do run at pretty nice temps.

I would have no problem running 24/7 Under 1.300 Vcore. Just a little concerned what the Cache Voltage is at such a high Cache Overclock.

Mine is only a 5930k but basically the same CPU with 2 less cores. You will have slightly higher temps. But at 4.1 Ghz it would be a nice temp.

Charles
| 5930k at 4.4 Ghz | Rampage 5 Extreme | Corsair 4 x 4 GB 2666 Mhz | GTX 980 x 2 in SLI |
| 512 GB SSD x 2 in Raid 0 | Corsair 1000 Watt PSU | Corsair 900D Case | 90 Inch DLP Projector |
| Custom Water. 1 x 360 Rad, 1 x 420 Rad. CPU + 2 GPU's Water cooled |

Thanks for all the help, Charles. I really appreciate it.

What's the recommended method for determining a value for offset voltage? Right now I have it set to Auto in the bios. Per your recommendation, I set the CPU cache (min/max) back to auto. I also dropped down to 4.1 @ 1.2 (still in adaptive for the time being). Everything is working fine.

I have another issue that is driving me insane. During big renders, I get "OpenGL driver crashed, error corde 3" with my GTX980 (although GPU is disabled for the work I do in After Effects). Nvidia and Adobe didn't have a solution when I spoke with tech support. I'm beginning to think it's tied to unstable CPU OC. @ 4.2+ I will get the OpenGL crash during render. At 4.1 and below, it doesn't appear to be an issue (yet).

Mosc_007
Level 7
The only way to find an Offset or Adaptive that works is to keep running stress tests and keep increasing Vcore until its stable.

I didn't like the Vcore needed for stability in Offset or Adaptive so I went back to Fixed with a lower Vcore.

If the GPU's don't crash with a lower Clock then the CPU is probably not stable. Increase the Vcore a small amount at a time until its stable. Say .01 at a time.

Charles
| 5930k at 4.4 Ghz | Rampage 5 Extreme | Corsair 4 x 4 GB 2666 Mhz | GTX 980 x 2 in SLI |
| 512 GB SSD x 2 in Raid 0 | Corsair 1000 Watt PSU | Corsair 900D Case | 90 Inch DLP Projector |
| Custom Water. 1 x 360 Rad, 1 x 420 Rad. CPU + 2 GPU's Water cooled |

In a previous post, Chino recommends cooling the VRM. At what VRM temperature is this necessary under load?

I'm not overly concerned since I have yet to see my VRM temps exceed mid to high 50s under load, but I'm new to the realm of OC and still figuring out what's optimal and what's dangerous. Simply stated: trying to learn the OC basics quickly so I can get it right and hopefully retain a long life with my equipment.

timelapse
Level 7
I have switched to manual Vcore and so far, it appears to be stable where it was not with adaptive. Before doing so, I did get the GPU crash even at 41 wit hadaptive. I then reset to stock and no crashes. The Nivida crash is definitely a result of the OC instability under max load.

Currently, I'm slowly working my way up from 40 @ 1.2. Currently stress testing (in Adobe After Effects) with 43 @ 1.28. So far so good!

From what I have read online about other HW-E CPUs, this might be high voltage for 4.3 but I don't think I have a really good chip that can get away with less. Actually, I tried 4 different 5960x's since I built this system and they all seemed to max out around 4.2 - 4.4 @ 1.3 or worse with AI3 auto tuning. No magic CPU unless auto tuning has been the limiting issue the whole time. =/