cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ASUS ROG G750JM instant power off

akosiflava
Level 7
Good day!

I bought an ASUS G750JM-DS71 on July, and today, something happened for the 2nd time which i think is a problem. It was last week or so, when i was playing Dota 2, my laptop just suddenly/instantly lost power. I'm not entirely sure if it lost power, but it seems like an instant SHUT DOWN, with no closing screen or something that appears when u shutdown the PC. Just a TOTAL blackout. It still charges, and infact, u can just press the power button to open it again. And just a while ago, while playing the same game, it happened again. This kind of makes me worry. I googled it and no one seems to have the same encounter.

I wanna know if anyone from this community has experienced this before. Also, i'd like to know if its a MAJOR problem so that i could still have it serviced while warranty still covers it. If anyone knows some suggestions, or instructions i could try to somehow solve this issue, im willing to follow everything.

Hope someone can help me!
6 REPLIES 6

DISroqTeD
Level 7
Hi ..

Sounds to me like it might be an overheating problem. Kind of experienced the same thing a while ago. It only happened once and I figured out why.
Just make sure you don`t place your laptop on something that will block the bottom air intake ( it worked for me .. never had the problem since then ).

hmscott
Level 12
akosiflava wrote:
...I bought an ASUS G750JM-DS71 on July, and today, something happened for the 2nd time which i think is a problem. It was last week or so, when i was playing Dota 2, my laptop just suddenly/instantly lost power. I'm not entirely sure if it lost power, but it seems like an instant SHUT DOWN, with no closing screen or something that appears when u shutdown the PC. Just a TOTAL blackout. It still charges, and infact, u can just press the power button to open it again. And just a while ago, while playing the same game, it happened again. This kind of makes me worry. I googled it and no one seems to have the same encounter.
I wanna know if anyone from this community has experienced this before. Also, i'd like to know if its a MAJOR problem so that i could still have it serviced while warranty still covers it. If anyone knows some suggestions, or instructions i could try to somehow solve this issue, im willing to follow everything.
Hope someone can help me!

akosiflava, monitor the heat/temperature using hwinfo64 (sensors only mode) - start it when you start your laptop, log the readings to a file, so you can capture the state of the CPU/GPU when it dies. It might be overheating and powering off due to protection.

hwinfo64 download
http://www.hwinfo.com/download.php

Look for thermal throttling during your up time, check the hwinfo sensors only lines for thermal throttling to see if any of the No's turn to Yes's - thermal throttling is the first stage of the protection - instant power off can come later - or before / independently if it is a power problem.

Look at your Windows System Event log to see what was logged just before and after the power off. There might be a clue there.

You could have a fan problem, or another cooling problem.

If not, it might be a corruption problem with the system software. If nothing is in the logs around the time of the crash, that won't help, but look further out in time to see if there are other problems - like at start up - is anything complaining about not being able to start correctly.

You could back up all your personal stuff and do a full OS reset - power off / power on F9 and let the recovery restore the OS to the out of the box configuration - and run from that for a while to see if the random power off happens again. Then slowly add stuff, taking notes as to what and when you install stuff / updates, and watch for the point where the problem starts again - if it does.

It also might be a motherboard / power circuit issue that can't be detected through OS notices - you would need to report all the things you tried to Asus so you can request an RMA to fix the problem - the more clear concise documented details you can provide the faster Asus can narrow down the fix / replacement needed. Asus will ask you to do an F9 recovery restore before they will take it for RMA...

Please come back and let us know how it works out 🙂

hmscott wrote:
akosiflava, monitor the heat/temperature using hwinfo64 (sensors only mode) - start it when you start your laptop, log the readings to a file, so you can capture the state of the CPU/GPU when it dies. It might be overheating and powering off due to protection.

hwinfo64 download
http://www.hwinfo.com/download.php

Look for thermal throttling during your up time, check the hwinfo sensors only lines for thermal throttling to see if any of the No's turn to Yes's - thermal throttling is the first stage of the protection - instant power off can come later - or before / independently if it is a power problem.

Look at your Windows System Event log to see what was logged just before and after the power off. There might be a clue there.

You could have a fan problem, or another cooling problem.

If not, it might be a corruption problem with the system software. If nothing is in the logs around the time of the crash, that won't help, but look further out in time to see if there are other problems - like at start up - is anything complaining about not being able to start correctly.

You could back up all your personal stuff and do a full OS reset - power off / power on F9 and let the recovery restore the OS to the out of the box configuration - and run from that for a while to see if the random power off happens again. Then slowly add stuff, taking notes as to what and when you install stuff / updates, and watch for the point where the problem starts again - if it does.

It also might be a motherboard / power circuit issue that can't be detected through OS notices - you would need to report all the things you tried to Asus so you can request an RMA to fix the problem - the more clear concise documented details you can provide the faster Asus can narrow down the fix / replacement needed. Asus will ask you to do an F9 recovery restore before they will take it for RMA...

Please come back and let us know how it works out 🙂

Will be trying this now! Will be back soon. Thanks for the reply...

Hi, again! Im not sure how to automatically activate Report Logs. Do i enable Automatic Logging? or just check the Log all values for Report? Also, does this automatically starts as with windows? Sorry for being a newbie here... Thanks

akosiflava wrote:
Hi, again! Im not sure how to automatically activate Report Logs. Do i enable Automatic Logging? or just check the Log all values for Report? Also, does this automatically starts as with windows? Sorry for being a newbie here... Thanks

akosiflava, when you open the Sensors view, from initial Sensors only, or from main Inventory menu, there are 4 buttons on the bottom of the Sensors view, click the 2nd one from the left, that starts the log - you pick a name - and then click that button again to stop the logging. The created file has samples taken about every 2 seconds.

Here is a short sample of a testlog1.csv file viewed with Excel

You can also get fancy, and click the 3rd button over "Configure Sensors" and set automatic logging options - check out the various tabs for settings. Doing the manual mode will probably work fine initially and give you a good view of what is going on during games and application runs.

hmscott wrote:
akosiflava, when you open the Sensors view, from initial Sensors only, or from main Inventory menu, there are 4 buttons on the bottom of the Sensors view, click the 2nd one from the left, that starts the log - you pick a name - and then click that button again to stop the logging. The created file has samples taken about every 2 seconds.

Here is a short sample of a testlog1.csv file viewed with Excel

You can also get fancy, and click the 3rd button over "Configure Sensors" and set automatic logging options - check out the various tabs for settings. Doing the manual mode will probably work fine initially and give you a good view of what is going on during games and application runs.

Geee thanks!