cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking to buy a G750JM but...

kirby2525
Level 7
I keep hearing about a horrific sounding constant BSOD issue with the JM model, Is the laptop even usable? Is it as bad as it sounds? Are there any fixes? Has anyone here not had the issue?

EDIT: Also increasing the scare factor is I've been buying ASUS products for 10 years now and have never had a single problem with one aside from an EeePC's hinge protector coming loose from a light drop, then suddenly when looking at this all I hear about is this BSOD thing.
15 REPLIES 15

CÃ_dric
Level 7
Hi,

JM's user here, yes the laptop is usable. the first dayz i used this laptop used to BSOD many many many time per day.
Since the lasts drivers have been release, i have 1 or maybe 2 BSOD in 2 weeks.
Some guys here said they dont BSOD with windows 7 but i did'nt try to instal it so i cant tell u if its true.

If i were u i would'nt buy it anyway, not beceause the laptop sucks, far from it but cuz there's new model since new weeks, like G751JM. i suggest u to make a quick research about it.

Arnas
Level 7
Hi, I want to ask a question about optimus. If I go to nvidia setings and enable high performance nvidia card. Does computer always run on a nvidia graphics card?

Yes, it should run with the nVidia card, from what I understand. However, it will still run in the Optimus mode, which means the nVidia card still has to send the image to the Intel card for being pushed out to the physical display, so all the same bandwidth limitations of the Optimus system will still apply.
I am disturbed because I cannot break my system...found out there were others trying to cope! We have a support group on here, if your system will not break, please join!
http://rog.asus.com/forum/group.php?groupid=16
We now have 178 people whose systems will not break! Yippee! 🙂
LINUX Users, we have a group!
http://rog.asus.com/forum/group.php?groupid=23

Arnas
Level 7
Thanks mate, 1 more question. If I prefered nvidia graphics, does games prefered nvidia graphics too? No issue then gaming?

Greatwhitewing
Level 7
Not a single one for me.

It should prefer them automatically. The Optimus system works by trapping usually the 3D calls and if enough of them get issued in a short time, it seemlessly fires up the nVidia GPU. The nVidia driver also will often detect games running, and switch the nVidia card on automatically, so you shouldn't have any issues.
I am disturbed because I cannot break my system...found out there were others trying to cope! We have a support group on here, if your system will not break, please join!
http://rog.asus.com/forum/group.php?groupid=16
We now have 178 people whose systems will not break! Yippee! 🙂
LINUX Users, we have a group!
http://rog.asus.com/forum/group.php?groupid=23

Greatwhitewing wrote:
Not a single one for me.

Greatwhitewing, which Nvidia driver version are you using?

Arnas
Level 7
This forum is great:). What about vertical, horizontal lines and flickering issues? Is it solved? is those g750 screens are realy that bad? I heard in other forums that whitout full brightness colors look washed out. And that about hising from headphones jack? It is solved? I think Asus shot themself with those problems. Where you go you can find peoples complaining about g750 line up. Like example Lenovo new y70 touch have realy good ips display, no hiss, no bsod. Just not as good build quality and not that cooling system.

Jaitsu
Level 7
I have a JM, and the only issue I have is the BSOD problem. No horizontal/vertical lines. As it stands, when using the latest driver, it seems that while the BSODs haven't been totally eliminated, they've been significantly lessened - you might get one a month, whereas it used to be about once a day. That said, it hasn't been totally cured - the only surefire way to prevent the BSODs is to stick with the 332.60 driver, which doesn't have the same performance as the latest, 344.48.

Honestly, though, after the feelings of hopelessness and lack of support I've been having over this rather serious issue, my overall recommendation would be to avoid ASUS completely until they get their act together, because having no recall and no permanent fix after all this time is unacceptable, not to mention how I've been repeatedly ignored on the matter by support.