cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PSA: G751 203 BIOS limits max turbo boost from 35x to 34x

Exostenza
Level 9
I like to overclock as much as I can and considering the cooling in this laptop we should be able to squeeze some power out of this CPU. I had it overclocked to 35x on all four cores and then after I updated the BIOS from 202 to 203 Intel XTU gave me an error that some values were missing and when I made a new profile I noticed that every max was limited to one lower than before. I wonder if this was on purpose or just a mistake in the new BIOS. Either way it take a little bit of power away from us overclockers...

Thought I would give people a heads up.

Update: BIOS 203, 204 and 205 all have 34x as their max four cores multiplier while 202 has the intended by Intel 35x multiplier for all four cores. I e-mailed support well over a month ago and they said that the relevant people have been notified and still nothing has happened and I have not been update by support.
31 REPLIES 31

hmscott
Level 12
Exostenza wrote:
I like to overclock as much as I can and considering the cooling in this laptop we should be able to squeeze some power out of this CPU. I had it overclocked to 35x on all four cores and then after I updated the BIOS from 202 to 203 Intel XTU gave me an error that some values were missing and when I made a new profile I noticed that every max was limited to one lower than before. I wonder if this was on purpose or just a mistake in the new BIOS. Either way it take a little bit of power away from us overclockers...
Thought I would give people a heads up.

Exostenza, you can add /nodate at the end of the command line Target for Winflash and it will let you install an older BIOS than the installed BIOS - so you can roll back to the BIOS with 35x 🙂

Hey, thanks a lot! Considering that a meager 100mhz on the CPU got me another 3fps in Ungine Valley, anything we can get on this CPU is going to help us as we are held back by the CPU with our GPUs for sure. I am very curious why everyone decided to downgrade the CPUs for this generation considering that last generation all the laptops had 4810 processors. I wish we could unlock these things and really overclock them. It seems strange that Asus has these expensive laptops and didn't even bother to pair the correct CPUs with them in order not to bottleneck components.

EDIT: Went back to 202 with your method and now I am back to 3.5ghz on all four cores. Thanks again!

Exostenza wrote:
Hey, thanks a lot! Considering that a meager 100mhz on the CPU got me another 3fps in Ungine Valley, anything we can get on this CPU is going to help us as we are held back by the CPU with our GPUs for sure. I am very curious why everyone decided to downgrade the CPUs for this generation considering that last generation all the laptops had 4810 processors. I wish we could unlock these things and really overclock them. It seems strange that Asus has these expensive laptops and didn't even bother to pair the correct CPUs with them in order not to bottleneck components.

EDIT: Went back to 202 with your method and now I am back to 3.5ghz on all four cores. Thanks again!

Awesome! 🙂

You could file a Technical Inquiry with Asus informing them of the "problem" introduced with 203 - that the range of clock rates changed and is adversely affecting your performance, so you rolled back to the previous BIOS, would they please issue a fixed BIOS 203 or a new BIOS with the clock speeds restored. 🙂

Just in case, I downloaded a copy of BIOS 202, just in case Asus pulls it later...

Good luck!

Exostenza wrote:

Just to be clear - the 980M is by no means "held back" by the 4710HQ. CPUs have been very stagnant since the Sandy Bridge release (mostly just getting more energy efficient since then) - there's no benefit to gaming to have the "highest end" mobile CPU in these laptops. I just want to make sure everyone is clear on that - ASUS made some very, very smart design decisions with the G751. Let's not take that credit away. 🙂

Carry on - this is a great thread RE: the BIOS adding in CPU limitations!
4710HQ, 980M // 5930K, 980 SC SLI // 4930K, 980 SC // 4770K, 290X Lightning // 1pcent.com

X-ROG
Level 15
What CPU do you have and which model G751 exactly?

hmscott wrote:
Awesome! 🙂

You could file a Technical Inquiry with Asus informing them of the "problem" introduced with 203 - that the range of clock rates changed and is adversely affecting your performance, so you rolled back to the previous BIOS, would they please issue a fixed BIOS 203 or a new BIOS with the clock speeds restored. 🙂

Just in case, I downloaded a copy of BIOS 202, just in case Asus pulls it later...

Good luck!

Well, they said a while back that they passed it on to the relevant department and so far I have heard nothing since and there has been no update. Those who are using bios 203, 204 or 205 have all of their multipliers limited by a factor of one. It would be nice to see them fix this as the extra 100mz actually makes a bit of a difference considering that our GPU is held back by our CPU.

MarshallR@ASUS wrote:
What CPU do you have and which model G751 exactly?

G571JY w/4710

arlonjohn427
Level 7
Hi there

Can we go over 35x?
I'm not a pro in overclocking but isnt a ratio of 35 what a 4710HQ is supposed to be when in turbo mode ?

arlonjohn427 wrote:
Hi there
Can we go over 35x?
I'm not a pro in overclocking but isnt a ratio of 35 what a 4710HQ is supposed to be when in turbo mode ?

arlonjohn427, Intel holds back full multiplier's on CPU's, and provides Intel Extreme Tuning Utility ( XTU ) to restore full speed - probably to avoid overheating on inadequate cooling systems - the G751/G750 can handle the full CPU speed.

But, we can't go past the Max Multiplier that Intel allows with XTU.

On desktop ROG Motherboards you can tweak other tunings to get more speed, even without an Extreme CPU with unlocked Multipliers, but our ROG laptops have minimal tuning available. There is nothing else we can do without hacking the BIOS/vBIOS . Which is not really worth it within the closed cooling system in the ROG laptop - we can swap in a better cooler / more power than it comes with.

What I don't get is the i7-4700 Max Core Multipliers are 36x,35x,34x,34x with the CPU Cache max at 36x - don't the new G751's have 36x available on the first core?

Also, I have heard Asus is now including Intel Extreme Tuning Utility installed on the G751, pretty cool 🙂

The latest XTU version is: 5.1.1.25
https://downloadcenter.intel.com/SearchResult.aspx?lang=eng&keyword=xtu

I can set mine all the way to 37(3.7ghz)??? I keep it at 35x. My question though is why am I not hitting 3.5ghz on the 4710hq? Highest I've seen while playing x plane was 3.39 ghz. I'd like to have that extra 100 mhz if possible. Any thoughts?