cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Touch Pad always detects external mouse!

akosiflava
Level 7
Good day...

I have an ASUS ROG G750JM-DS71 and just today i discovered something unusual. Usually when i remove the plugged-in mouse, the touchpad automatically enables as i check the "Disable touchpad when mouse is detected" option on the ASUS Smart Gesture, but today, it no longer enables itself. I tried plugging and removing the mouse but to be able to use the touchpad, u have to use the functions keys provided.

This type things fires up my OC behaviour and so i find this very unsettling. I would appreciate all the help i can get.
4 REPLIES 4

hmscott
Level 12
akosiflava wrote:
Good day...
I have an ASUS ROG G750JM-DS71 and just today i discovered something unusual. Usually when i remove the plugged-in mouse, the touchpad automatically enables as i check the "Disable touchpad when mouse is detected" option on the ASUS Smart Gesture, but today, it no longer enables itself. I tried plugging and removing the mouse but to be able to use the touchpad, u have to use the functions keys provided.
This type things fires up my OC behaviour and so i find this very unsettling. I would appreciate all the help i can get.

akosiflava, I haven't seen this behavior on the G750 series - JW/JX/JH - and noone else has mentioned this about the G750JM/JS/JZ - it might be you are removing the mouse too often, and it is causing this "lockup" from detection.

When you remove the mouse, and it fails to enable the Touchpad, can you plug the mouse back in and the mouse works ok? When you then remove it again, does the Touchpad work?

Are you doing this inside a specific program, or while at the desktop, is there any correlation between being in any one particular situation?

When I switch between Speaker to Bluetooth headphones there are times it won't switch, because the program has locked in the audio path. I get around it by refreshing the page if it is a web based player, and quit and restart the app if it locks in the audio path.

You might try switching out of the app to the desktop before pulling the mouse plug out, or try quiting the app that might have locked the mouse as the pointing device before pulling the mouse cable out. See if you can find the difference between the detection working and not working.

That should find the problem, and salve your OCD.

Please come back and let us know how it works out 🙂

themeonster
Level 7
This happens with my logitech products. Did you recently get any mice from them? For me, under mice and other pointing devices in device manager, there is my mouse and the trackpad but there is also another device called HID-compliant mouse.

In my case I believe that this is what the trackpad software is detecting as another mouse. It could also be the logitech gaming virtual mouse but I am fairly sure that it is the first one. I can manually remove it under devices and printers in control panel but it comes back after I plug in my mouse and stays after unplugging it. As I normally just use the function keys to toggle the trackpad I have not messed with it too much but I am going to try to see if I can get something working when I get some time later. Hope this helps.

themeonster wrote:
This happens with my logitech products. Did you recently get any mice from them? For me, under mice and other pointing devices in device manager, there is my mouse and the trackpad but there is also another device called HID-compliant mouse.
In my case I believe that this is what the trackpad software is detecting as another mouse. It could also be the logitech gaming virtual mouse but I am fairly sure that it is the first one. I can manually remove it under devices and printers in control panel but it comes back after I plug in my mouse and stays after unplugging it. As I normally just use the function keys to toggle the trackpad I have not messed with it too much but I am going to try to see if I can get something working when I get some time later. Hope this helps.

Guys, I have a logitech keyboard/mouse and when I have it plugged in, I see the device manager entry, and when I unplug it the device manager entry goes away

Mouse plugged in

Mouse unplugged

I did this a dozen times and it worked every time. This is the same for the keyboard as well, unplugged, plugged in.

I also have the Logitech Unifying software installed, but perhaps there are other packages installed with your mouse... you might check out removing them or looking at the settings, maybe there is a setting overriding the Asus Smart Gesture setting.

themeonster
Level 7
Firstly, sorry for hijacking your thread akosiflava. If you have not recently set up a new mouse or similar device, this has nothing to do with your problem. The first thing I should have asked is what could have changed in between when it functioned properly and now? Hmscott's suggestions are always a great place to start. Other questions might be, did you recently update drivers, or install new software, or new hardware?

In case you have the same problem as I do, the solution is to disable "Logitech Gaming Virtual Mouse" under human interface devices in device manager. Doing so does not seem to have any effect under light usage and causes HID-complient mouse to disappear from pointing devices thus enabling the trackpad software to properly detect when I have a mouse connected. While I have not extensively tested what the virtual mouse does, my best guess is that this has something to do with Logitech gaming software and how it works.

I hope this helps and good luck.