Page 1 of 23 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast
    ROG Guru: Grand Master Array

DDR4-3000 Setup Guide For Rampage V Extreme

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1.jpg 
Views:	656 
Size:	666.6 KB 
ID:	42845

Users have been getting mixed results with getting their DDR4-3000 kits to work on the Rampage V Extreme. In theory, the setup process is quite straightforward. You enable the XMP profile in the BIOS and let the motherboard do the rest of the hard work. So why isn’t everyone getting the same results?

A Quick Explanation Of The Issue
    The motherboard automatically assigns values to the different voltages for your CPU. Normally these values are on the Auto setting which means that they will scale accordingly when you enable the XMP profile for your RAM. ASUS sampled hundreds of CPUs to determine the scaling routines for the Rampage V Extreme. So unless you have a below average CPU, the Auto value is pretty much spot on.

The timings and the DRAM voltage for your memory kit is dictated by the XMP profile. But the motherboard also adjusts other memory related voltages as well. One of the more useful voltages for memory overclocking is the System Agent Voltage (also known as VCCSA on previous platforms). The System Agent Voltage is responsible for stabilizing the CPU’s integrated memory controller (IMC) to help you run memory with high frequencies.

Your memory goes through training at each system post. If your memory fails training because of insufficient System Agent Voltage, your system will halt with a bd QCODE visible on the Rampage V Extreme’s DEBUG LED.

Name:	2.jpg 
Views:	731 
Size:	392.5 KB 
ID:	42848

The Kit Used In This Guide

Name:	3.jpg 
Views:	374 
Size:	259.6 KB 
ID:	42851

I chose this G.Skill Ripjaws 4 F4-3000C15Q-16GRR kit mainly because of its excellent price/performance ratio. It’s currently one of the more popular DDR4-3000 kits in the market right now and most enthusiasts are rolling with this particular kit in their X99 systems. It’s comprised of four 4GB sticks rated at 3000MHz with 15-15-15-35 2N timings using 1.35V.

Preparations
    At the time this guide was written, the latest BIOS was 0802. It’s highly recommended that you update your Rampage V Extreme to the 1801 BIOS since compatibility with XMP profiles and memory overclocking has been greatly improved. Many users were able to get their DDR4-3000 kit working on this BIOS without the need to tune the System Agent Voltage manually. But if it doesn’t work for you, continue on.

Since we’ll be focusing solely on the System Agent Voltage, we’ll add it to the My Favorites tab so we can get quick access to the option instead of scrolling all the way down the Extreme Tweaker tab to find it. So first we’ll open up the My Favorites tab.

Name:	4.jpg 
Views:	628 
Size:	106.7 KB 
ID:	42850

Once inside, we’re going to select the Extreme Tweak option on the left and scroll down to find the CPU System Agent Voltage.

Name:	5.jpg 
Views:	479 
Size:	156.5 KB 
ID:	42852

Click the + symbol beside the CPU System Agent Voltage to add it to the right column.

Name:	6.jpg 
Views:	476 
Size:	159.3 KB 
ID:	42853

Methodology
    This guide will assume you’ve enabled your XMP and restarted your system. Once your system hangs at the bd QCODE, there isn’t much you can do. Even if you hit the Power, Reset or the ReTry button your system will simply restart and halt at the same QCODE as before. While most users turn to the Clear CMOS button at the rear panel to reset the BIOS values back to factory default, we’re going to take a different approach.

If you closely at the overclocking area, you will notice the little red button called Safe Boot. Pressing it will force the motherboard to reboot into the BIOS safe mode retaining all the previous settings that were changed.

Name:	7.jpg 
Views:	409 
Size:	469.9 KB 
ID:	42854

Once inside the BIOS, we’ll navigate back to the My Favorites tab. The System Agent Voltage is a sensitive voltage. Too much or too little voltage can lead to instability. The best approach is to use increments of 0.01V to find the sweet spot for your CPU.

Name:	8.jpg 
Views:	478 
Size:	226.0 KB 
ID:	42855

One of two things can happen at this stage.
    • If your system fails to post again, keep tuning the System Agent Voltage until you make your way into your OS.
    • If your system posted successfully and you’re able to enter your OS, proceed to the next phase.

Quick Stability Test
    SuperPi provides a quick way to test the stability of your memory. The 32M preset relies heavily on memory access so that’s what we’ll choose. A typical run should take around 9 minutes on a stock i7-5960X.

Name:	9.JPG 
Views:	337 
Size:	92.8 KB 
ID:	42856

Should you encounter any signs of instability during the 32M test like BSODs, system freeze or SuperPi errors, go back into the BIOS and raise the System Agent Voltage another notch. Once you’re able to complete the 32M test, it’s time to do some memory stress tests.

Long-term Stability Test
    HCI MemTest is one of the best programs to find immediate and long term memory errors if any are present. Since it’s a single threaded program, it’s recommended to run as many instances of MemTest as you have CPU threads to increase the program’s effectiveness.

On my i7-5960X, I’m running 16 instances to test my memory thoroughly. Since it’s time consuming to open each instance one by one, I’ve written a simple Batch file to open all of them with a single click. The only requirement is that the batch file must be in the same directory as the memtest.exe. For the other Haswell-E owners, you can edit the batch file in Notepad and erase the number of instances to match your CPU cores. Once you have your instances ready, open Task Manager. Look at the amount of unused memory available and divide it by the number of instances. The result will be the amount of memory you will type in the each MemTest window.

Name:	10.jpg 
Views:	641 
Size:	446.2 KB 
ID:	42857

Memtest is designed to run as long as you wish. But for an everyday system, four full passes (400% coverage) should be more than enough. But if memory stability is vital for your system, you can let it run overnight. If any errors show up, continue tuning the System Agent Voltage.

Just a reminder. Memory, when stressed just like any other component, will generate more heat than normal usage. So if your plan is to test your memory for prolonged periods of time, it is wise to put some sort of active cooling over the modules. It doesn’t have to be one of those crazy Delta fans that sound like jet engines. Any 120mm fan will get the job done.

Name:	11.jpg 
Views:	205 
Size:	428.4 KB 
ID:	42858

And to finalize this guide, here’s a screenshot of my i7-5960X finishing 4 full passes of MemTest. It’s not a good sample and needs a System Agent Voltage of 1.14V to run memory at 3000MHz. It’s been running for a few months now and there are no negative side effects of running at that voltage.

Name:	12.jpg 
Views:	1003 
Size:	952.9 KB 
ID:	42859

There is no official word from Intel concerning the maximum safe System Agent Voltage so I cannot give you a number to go by. They used to put that information into their data sheets but they stopped doing so ever since Haswell came out. Currently the Rampage V Extreme has one of the most mature BIOS found on any X99 motherboard plus it has the OC Socket which certainly gives it the upperhand when it comes to memory overclocking. So you’ll find that you need less voltage than rival motherboards.

ROG Guru: Green Belt Array Avenger411 PC Specs
    Avenger411 PC Specs
    MotherboardAsus Rampage V Extreme
    ProcessorIntel 5930K@4.3Ghz
    Memory (part number)G-Skills DDR4-3200 (16-16-16-36-1T) 1.375v
    Graphics Card #1EVGA Titan X w/ 980 Hybrid AiO Liquid Cooler
    MonitorAsus RoG Swift PG278Q
    Storage #1OCZ RD400A (Windows)
    Storage #2Samsung 950 Pro (Gaming)
    CPU CoolerCorsair H100i
    CaseCorsair 780T
    Power SupplyAntec HCP-1000w Platinum
    Keyboard Corsair K70 Cherry-Mx Brown
    Mouse Logitech G502 Proteus Core
    Headset Roccat 5.1 True Surround Digital
    Mouse Pad Razer Vespula
    Headset/Speakers Logitech Z906 5.1 Surround
    OS Windows 10 Pro
    Network RouterNetgear Nighthawk AC1900
    Accessory #1 Iphone 6S 64gb
    Accessory #2 Brainwave Headset Stand
    Accessory #3 Microsoft Xbox360 Pc Controller

That is a very nice "how to" for those who can't get past the occasional "oc failed" which i had after EVERY reboot before i updated to 802. Now all worries are gone and i can do wut eva i want
    Cpu : Intel 5930K@4.25ghz@1.2v / Cache @4.25ghz@1.20v
    Cpu Cooler : Corsair H100i
    Case : Corsair 780T
    Memory : G.Skills 32GB DDR4-3200mhz CAS 15-15-15-35-1T@1.370v
    Motherboard : Asus Rampage V Extreme (BIOS 3504)
    M2 : Samsung 950 Pro NVME 512gb (Gaming)
    M2 : SSD1 : OCZ RD400A 128gb (windows)
    SSD1 : Crucial MX100 512gb (data)
    Gfx : EVGA Titan X w/ 980 Hybrid Cooling AiO Liquid Cooler
    PSU : Antec HCP-1000W
    Monitor : Asus RoG Swift

ROG Member Array Kalorn PC Specs
    Kalorn PC Specs
    MotherboardAsus Rampage VI Extreme
    ProcessorIntel 7940X
    Memory (part number)Corsair Dominator Platinum ROG 32GB (3200MHz)
    Graphics Card #1Asus Poseidon GTX 1080Ti
    Graphics Card #2Asus Poseidon GTX 1080Ti
    MonitorAsus ROG Swift PG348 34" Curved
    Storage #1Samsung 960 Pro 1TB M.2 SSD (x2)
    Storage #2Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD (x2)
    CPU CoolerCorsair Hydro H110i GTX
    CaseCorsair 780T Full Tower (Black)
    Power SupplyCorsair AX1500i
    Keyboard Razer Blackwidow X Chroma
    Mouse Razer Naga Chroma
    Headset Asus Centurion 7.1
    Mouse Pad Razer Goliath
    Headset/Speakers Logitech X540
    OS Windows 10 Pro
    Accessory #1 Cablemod Braided Cable Set
    Accessory #2 5 x Corsair ML140 Fans

Great guide Chino, can we have this stickied?

ROG Member Array

Thanks for the top quality guide, I'm just in the process of trying to obtain a kit but seems in very high demand with most places sold out over here in Australia.

Quote Originally Posted by Counteragent77 View Post
    Thanks for the top quality guide, I'm just in the process of trying to obtain a kit but seems in very high demand with most places sold out over here in Australia.
    PC Case Gear has it in stock for 599 AUD.

ROG Member Array

Quote Originally Posted by Chino View Post
    PC Case Gear has it in stock for 599 AUD.
    Hey Chino, I'm really wanting a 32Gb Kit... Would you suggest 2 x of the kits would work well together?

Quote Originally Posted by Counteragent77 View Post
    Hey Chino, I'm really wanting a 32Gb Kit... Would you suggest 2 x of the kits would work well together?
    Hello

Memory manufacturers do not guarantee combining kits will be successful. The below quotes are from G.Skill tech support. More like these can be found at the G.Skill forum.

It's best to get a matched 64GB kit. The rated specifications are no longer guaranteed with two separate kits
    Together? We can not guarantee that since they were not tested as a kit.
    We sell complete kits for a reason, they are pre-matched, tested, and guaranteed from factory. If you want to try two separate kits, that's for you to test and find out what they can do. The only way we will know for sure is if we test them but we don't have the kits you want to use in hand.

For this reason, it is important to purchase the full amount of RAM you want in a single kit to avoid these questions.

DDR4 is pretty scarce everywhere. So you'll have to wait until the 32GB 3000MHz kit is available or compromise and go for a lower frequency kit.

ROG Guru: Brown Belt Array LiveOrDie PC Specs
    LiveOrDie PC Specs
    MotherboardASUS RAMPAGE VI EXTREME
    ProcessorIntel Core i9 7980XE Custom IHS @ 4.6Ghz 1.221v
    Memory (part number)G.Skill Trident Z RGB F4-3000C14D 64GB
    Graphics Card #1Asus GTX 1080Ti Strix OC
    MonitorLG 4k 43inch
    Storage #1Samsung 960 Pro NVME 512gb
    Storage #2Samsung 850 Evo 1TB x 2
    CPU CoolerEK ROG R6E Monoblock, EK-CoolStream PE 360, EK-CoolStream PE 240, EK X-RES 140 Revo D5 RGB PWM
    CaseCorsair Obsidian 500D SE
    Power SupplyCooler Master Vanguard Series 1000W
    Keyboard Logitech G910
    Mouse Logitech G900
    Headset Razer Tiamat 2.2 v2
    OS Windows 10 x64
    Network RouterNetGear

I tested this last night but I'm running my DDR4 2800Mhz on 1.35v @ 2933Mhz with a 100BCLK i ran HCI MemTest over night it got up to 1300% coverage on all 12 instances do i need to father test it? I have a offset of 0.150v on my VCCSA ?

If all your 12 instances had zero errors, you're pretty much good to go.

Page 1 of 23 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast