Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    ROG Member Array

Corsair Dominator Platinum 3200MHZ RAM & 5930k Problems!

Hi guys,

So I initially had a 5820k and 32GB of Corsair Dominator Platinum which were rated at 3200mhz, after a very long time of trying to overclock and enable XMP profile to work. I managed to get maximum 4.3ghz on cpu at 1.3v and 2666mhz on the ram with XMP on. Is this normal?

I've recently upgraded to the 5930k and I've found that I'm able to get 4.5ghz at 1.25 and max 2800mhz on the ram before it gives me boot issues and doesn't post. The ram is rated at 3200mhz using XMP, however I cannot post with this enabled and it gives me problems, so my question is will I be able to achieve 3200mhz at all and how exactly? Or is it a case of the actual processor and the memory controller within it being weak? Will the 5960x allow me to have 3200mhz as it's better? Shouldn't the RAM work at 3200mhz if its rated at that on the box?

Or is it a case of silicone lottery between the CPUs?

Also the bios i'm using is the latest 3501 and motherboard is rampage V extreme.

Hope you guys can help.

Thank you!
    Last edited by A1337; 02-21-2017 at 09:38 AM.

Administrator Array Silent Scone@ASUS's Avatar

The large majority of CPU should be able to handle 3200Mhz no problem, however some user intervention may be required in order to achieve stability.

Please post up current settings, and what memory kit you are using.

ROG Member Array

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Silent Scone View Post
    The large majority of CPU should be able to handle 3200Mhz no problem, however some user intervention may be required in order to achieve stability.

Please post up current settings, and what memory kit you are using.
    Hi thanks for your quick reply, so the RAM is "Corsair CMD32GX4M4B3200C16 Dominator Platinum Series 32 GB (4 x 8 GB) DDR4 3200 MHz C16 XMP 2.0 High Performance Desktop Memory Kit - Black"

I've literally just enabled XMP and set the multiplier to x45 and ram to 2800mhz and voltage 1.25 for CPU, the rest are default settings under the XMP profile. It sets the cpu strap to 100 by default, I've tried messing around with x125 but I've had no luck with that. Hope you can help, thanks a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by A1337 View Post
    Hi thanks for your quick reply, so the RAM is "Corsair CMD32GX4M4B3200C16 Dominator Platinum Series 32 GB (4 x 8 GB) DDR4 3200 MHz C16 XMP 2.0 High Performance Desktop Memory Kit - Black"

I've literally just enabled XMP and set the multiplier to x45 and ram to 2800mhz and voltage 1.25 for CPU, the rest are default settings under the XMP profile. It sets the cpu strap to 100 by default, I've tried messing around with x125 but I've had no luck with that. Hope you can help, thanks a lot.
    http://www.corsair.com/en-gb/dominat...2gx4m4b3200c16

This kit does not specify X99 compatibility.

Try setting a VCCSA voltage of around 1.05v and work up to around 1.15v if required

ROG Member Array

http://www.corsair.com/en-gb/dominat...2gx4m4b3200c16

This kit does not specify X99 compatibility.

Try setting a VCCSA voltage of around 1.05v and work up to around 1.15v if required
    Oh I see! That's my bad then I picked the wrong RAM when building my PC, I don't know how I even managed to do that. Do you think if I contact corsair they can replace, because its unstable on XMP? Thanks I will try that too and let you know how I get on. Can't believe I got the wrong memory.

Oh I see! That's my bad then I picked the wrong RAM when building my PC, I don't know how I even managed to do that. Do you think if I contact corsair they can replace, because its unstable on XMP? Thanks I will try that too and let you know how I get on. Can't believe I got the wrong memory.

It can make things difficult when not checking these things, but it's not always disastrous! Some of these kits can be dialed in quite nicely if one has the patience.

You would have more luck contacting the retailer (if this was Corsair, then yes) and asking if you can exchange the memory kit for one that is qualified for the platform and board you are using.

ROG Member Array

It can make things difficult when not checking these things, but it's not always disastrous! Some of these kits can be dialed in quite nicely if one has the patience.

You would have more luck contacting the retailer (if this was Corsair, then yes) and asking if you can exchange the memory kit for one that is qualified for the platform and board you are using.
    Hi, I didn't purchase from Corsair so I doubt they can help me. I might contact the retailer which was Scan and see what they can do. Also still no luck with the System Agent Voltage to get up to XMP 3200mhz. I'm not sure what else I can do, the thing just doesn't post with XMP on. Maybe Asus will release bios in the future to support it? Thanks!

Hi, I didn't purchase from Corsair so I doubt they can help me. I might contact the retailer which was Scan and see what they can do. Also still no luck with the System Agent Voltage to get up to XMP 3200mhz. I'm not sure what else I can do, the thing just doesn't post with XMP on. Maybe Asus will release bios in the future to support it? Thanks!

There is nothing ASUS need update in this instance, or in any way related to the XMP profile. This is why memory kit QVL exists, to save these kind of headaches for users with lesser experience. As this kit is on neither the QVL from Corsair or the Rampage V, I would advise you to do the former and return the kit for one that is.

You can try entering the primary memory timings, frequency and voltages manually.
    Last edited by Silent Scone@ASUS; 02-22-2017 at 08:43 AM.

ROG Guru: White Belt Array JuSiZ1 PC Specs
    JuSiZ1 PC Specs
    MotherboardRampage VI Extreme Omega
    Processori9-7920X
    Memory (part number)G.skill TridentZ 4x8Gb DDR4 3200MHz cl14
    Graphics Card #1nVIDIA RTX 2080Ti Fe
    Sound CardCreative soundblaster X7 Le
    MonitorPG27AQ
    Storage #1Samsung 970pro 512Gb, Samsung 950 Pro 512Gb
    Storage #2Inte850pro 1Tbl 750 1.2Tb, 2x850pro 512gb and
    CPU CoolerEK Supremacy evo x99
    CaseDiy case
    Power SupplyCorsair Ax860i
    Keyboard Logitech G19
    Mouse Logitech G900 chaos Spectrum
    Headset Beyerdynamic T90
    Mouse Pad ROG from china
    Headset/Speakers Logitech Z4 2.1 And Monitors speakers
    OS Win 10 Pro 64-bit
    Network RouterFritz Box 6490
    Accessory #1 H2O cooling with 3x360 rads, dual ddc pumps,EK blocks, Copper pipes etc.
    Accessory #2 BD-RE

There is many newer ram kits what is not in qvl list and should work fine like my g.skill tridentz 4x8gb 3200mhz cl14 kit. What i test 2 ram kits on qvl list xmp not work straight out of box and needs lots of tweaking when ram is over 3000mhz. In your case 100mhz strap is fine try increase vccsa, Cpu core and cache voltages when it stable. Manual adjust your memory timings don't use xmp.

Quote Originally Posted by JuSiZ1 View Post
    There is many newer ram kits what is not in qvl list and should work fine like my g.skill tridentz 4x8gb 3200mhz cl14 kit. What i test 2 ram kits on qvl list xmp not work straight out of box and needs lots of tweaking when ram is over 3000mhz. In your case 100mhz strap is fine try increase vccsa, Cpu core and cache voltages when it stable. Manual adjust your memory timings don't use xmp.

Should, would and could work is not what someone who is looking for plug and play wants to hear. Especially when the example given is not even the same kit.

I tried orange juice in my weetabix this morning, you don't see me mentioning that here.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast