cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G751JT or G751JY ???

Iddqdk
Level 7
I'm really having a hard time about this choice..

There is currently only 1 retailer in Scandinavia selling the JY model (Komplett - Sweden, Norway and Denmark).
They aren't excactly helpful and doesn't offer much service to their customers 😞

I contacted them regarding the shipment of the product; Because I previously had bad experience with their way of shipping off laptops.

They sent them off in the standard laptop case, which isn't really the most optimal solution IMO! .. It doesn't protect the laptop from the weather or the ruff handling it can get exposed to doing it's travel.

Anyway, they refused to ship it differently and told me to go buy it somewhere else, if I didn't like the way they handled things.

So now I'm trying to figure out if I should buy the JT model instead of the JY - I found several retailers who is selling the JT model, which also understands my concern about this.

I know there is a difference in terms of performance.. But I would like to hear from someone with the JT model, what their honest opinion is about it's performance :confused:

There is a lot of reviews out there about the JY model, but only a few good with the JT.

In case I decide to go for the JT model, I was thinking of adding a Samsung EVO 840 500GB SSD and another 8GB ram .. Not that I think it's needed for my gaming use, but still..

I haven't been able to figure out if the recovery partition is saved on the SSD or the SATA - Is there anyone here who can answer me this as well???

I don't feel good about throwing money after a retailer that doesn't give a flying **** about me 😞
I would like to hear peoples thoughts about this as well.

Hope you can help me out a bit here 🙂
12 REPLIES 12

m0x50
Level 7
I ordered my JY model from NetOnNet. They have the 7105H version with a Blu Ray reader/DVD writer combo instead of the DVD super multi one in the 7103H (which Komplett sells at the same price).

http://www.netonnet.se/art/dator/laptop/skarmstorlek/laptop-17-tum/asus-rogg751jy-t7058h/210160.3004...

aooi
Level 7
8GB RAM extra and 256GB SSD can be implemented for about $300 extra total of your own expenses. The true estimated difference would then be around $700 ($500 with Amazon) for the BluRay reader and more importantly the GTX980M 4GB. JT has a slightly longer battery life (but who cares?).

So, do you think a BluRay reader and a better graphics card is worth an extra $500~700? Right now, you will probably not see a difference in gaming for any game you play. Four years down the road, the differences will be a bit more noticeable but neither will likely be capable of playing the most demanding games with good FPS.

I always go for the less expensive option, with a replacement time of four years, simply because by then both the 970M and the 980M will be outdated. Still great, but outdated enough to not be able to play more demanding games with good FPS.

m0x50
Level 7
The limited model variations available in Scandinavia (well.. Sweden at least) doesn't give us much choice here. The most common model with 970M costs ~$2000 here and the 980 model (with or without blu ray since the retailers have priced them the same) is $2575. Upgrading the 970 model with an additional 8GB of DDR3L 1600MHz RAM and a 256Gb SSD (regular 2,5" since M2 are hard to find at that size for some reason) is $380.
So the difference between the 970M and the 980M is a mere $195.

I'm not sure how the cards compare in real life but check out http://gpuboss.com/gpus/GeForce-GTX-980M-vs-GeForce-GTX-970M (keeping in mind the model specs compared here aren't an exact match to what's in the G751).
Like aooi says, the difference might barely be noticeable today. Personally I opted for paying the extra $195 for the 980M version.

Iddqdk
Level 7
Too bad ASUS doesn't offer the 980m with 8GB like MSI does.. Or the 970m with 6GB, but I guess they had their reasons?

I've been looking at the price difference as well.
I'm tempted to just go with the JY model.. I just hate throwing my money after a retailer who couldn't care less about their customers 😞

There is another retailer who is selling it here in Denmark (Proshop) They won't have it in stock before mid januar! :eek:

kennycol
Level 7
Keep in mind that the SSD's that ship with the G751's are the PCIe M.2's which are quite a bit faster than a standard SATA3 SSD drive. Some benchmarks have them at double the speed (other benches not so much...and this also depends on the size of the PCIe M.2 drive...the bigger the faster). And those PCIe M.2's are quite a bit more expensive then the corresponding SATA 3 drives. That being said, it's still quite a bit cheaper to buy the PCIe M.2 drive separate than pay the difference (at least in the stateside pricing on the G751JT's). Of course you'll want to verify that all of that is true for your model of the laptop and for your market.

kennycol wrote:
Keep in mind that the SSD's that ship with the G751's are the PCIe M.2's which are quite a bit faster than a standard SATA3 SSD drive. Some benchmarks have them at double the speed (other benches not so much...and this also depends on the size of the PCIe M.2 drive...the bigger the faster). And those PCIe M.2's are quite a bit more expensive then the corresponding SATA 3 drives. That being said, it's still quite a bit cheaper to buy the PCIe M.2 drive separate than pay the difference (at least in the stateside pricing on the G751JT's). Of course you'll want to verify that all of that is true for your model of the laptop and for your market.

No kennycol - It doesn't come with m.2 pcie ssd.

They are shipping JT and JY models without m.2 to avoid further delay + the m.2 version costs a lot more.

m0x50
Level 7
G751JY-T7103H is curently on "sale" for ~$1900 (SEK 14395) from Swedish retailer dustinhome.se (my guess is a problem with their shop since this price was almost $500 higher (SEK 17995) just 45 minutes ago, and the new price isn't reflected in their B2B store. It seems the webshop isn't applying VAT properly, but is shown as applied). I'm not sure they ship outside Sweden but it might be worth a look. I placed an order and it went though at the reduced price without issues.

I just placed a order @ Dustin.dk - It was 500kr cheaper than Komplett.dk (they just delayed the G751JY until the 15. november) /facepalm!

So instead I bougth the G751JY and a Samsung EVO 840 250GB for pretty much the same price I would have paid for just the G751JY @ Komplett.dk

They actually have it in stock and promised me it would get delivered doing next week 😄

Leptoid
Level 7
My recovery was saved on my 1TB drive on the G751JT-CH71. You can boot it into windows and make a new recovery disk (with Windows Recovery & Backup) before you add the drive. If you get smaller than a 500GB SSD, you're going to go through hell to get it to work. I finally got mine going... it was a pain in the butt.