cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G751jt-ch71 and SSD installation, HD questions

jojotheman12
Level 7
Hey guys!

I'm planning to get the G751JT-CH71, when it becomes available, and I want to install a SSD since it comes with none. Would I have to use backtracker if I want to setup the OS on the SSD? Also, how would I go about clearing the HDD so I can have all the 1TB storage available?
If anyone knows the steps please link it to me!

Thanks in advance! 😄
26 REPLIES 26

aooi
Level 7
Do you know when it will be available? I hear some sources say 11/10 but I'm not sure.

masterserenity
Level 7
What I did:

Install SSD. Boot up computer. Download EaseUS, use to migrate data from HDD to SDD. Remove HDD, boot up. Success.

As for wiping the HDD, you should be able to do that through EaseUS, as well.

masterserenity wrote:
What I did:

Install SSD. Boot up computer. Download EaseUS, use to migrate data from HDD to SDD. Remove HDD, boot up. Success.

As for wiping the HDD, you should be able to do that through EaseUS, as well.

did you have to switch drive bays to have the boot up on SSD?

kennycol
Level 7
masterserenity, did you use a SATA SSD or a PCIe M.2 SSD?

I put in a PCIe M.2 drive into mine and tried to use Asus backtracker to copy the default install from the HDD to the SSD. It setup the thumb drive just fine and after swapping drives and booting to the thumb drive I was able to restore that onto the new SSD drive. Unfortunately when I removed the thumb drive and tried to boot to the SSD I got an error (something about not finding a boot drive). I figured it was due to the differences between SATA boot drives and PCIe M.2 boot drives. I hear that they have a more complicated boot partition setup then the old way of doing things.

So I ended up just doing a fresh windows install on the SSD drive and going with that. I tried to use the Asus backtracker to create the driver/utility thumb drive and it said that it succeeded...but when I tried to use it it looked like it didn't actually copy any drivers onto the thing. So I ended up just downloading them all from the Asus support site.

kennycol wrote:
I put in a PCIe M.2 drive into mine and tried to use Asus backtracker to copy the default install from the HDD to the SSD. It setup the thumb drive just fine and after swapping drives and booting to the thumb drive I was able to restore that onto the new SSD drive. Unfortunately when I removed the thumb drive and tried to boot to the SSD I got an error (something about not finding a boot drive). I figured it was due to the differences between SATA boot drives and PCIe M.2 boot drives. I hear that they have a more complicated boot partition setup then the old way of doing things.

So I ended up just doing a fresh windows install on the SSD drive and going with that. I tried to use the Asus backtracker to create the driver/utility thumb drive and it said that it succeeded...but when I tried to use it it looked like it didn't actually copy any drivers onto the thing. So I ended up just downloading them all from the Asus support site.

kennycol, was the HDD pulled when you tried to boot on the M.2 PCIE SSD?

The restore creates the correct boot and partitioning on the M.2 PCIE SSD, and the BIOS should boot it when it doesn't find the HDD.

If it doesn't then go into the BIOS and change the boot to the M.2 PCIE SSD - leave out the HDD until you get the BIOS set to boot on the M.2 PCIE SSD.

Please come back and let us know what you find, and how you got it to work 🙂

kennycol wrote:

Having the very same problem. Has anyone figured out how to get the backtracker image up and running on a M.2 drive with no other drive installed in the G751JT? Thanks!

sideshow_bob wrote:
Having the very same problem. Has anyone figured out how to get the backtracker image up and running on a M.2 drive with no other drive installed in the G751JT? Thanks!

Solved my own problem as best I could.

Used Backtracker 3.08 to make a USB drive to restore from off of the installed spinner.
Removed spinner.
installed m2 SSD
rebooted from the USB stick to install the image
after the install I rebooted.
The PC gave me a blue scree with a ":(" emoji and said INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE was the problem.
on the reboot I held the F9 key to get the boot options of Win 8.1
I navigated and selected the safe mode reboot.
it rebooted in safe mode and said "installation cannot continue in safe mode" and I pressed ENTER.
the PC rebooted again and began to start the install from the m2 SSD!

I think the problem has to do with the MBR that is backed up and restores with Backtracker. I went from a 1TB spinner to a %!@GB Samsung m2 SSD. I have had several reboots without issue and installed all the updates just fine.

I hope this helps someone else! 🙂

sideshow_bob wrote:
Solved my own problem as best I could.

Used Backtracker 3.08 to make a USB drive to restore from off of the installed spinner.
Removed spinner.
installed m2 SSD
rebooted from the USB stick to install the image
after the install I rebooted.
The PC gave me a blue scree with a ":(" emoji and said INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE was the problem.
on the reboot I held the F9 key to get the boot options of Win 8.1
I navigated and selected the safe mode reboot.
it rebooted in safe mode and said "installation cannot continue in safe mode" and I pressed ENTER.
the PC rebooted again and began to start the install from the m2 SSD!

I think the problem has to do with the MBR that is backed up and restores with Backtracker. I went from a 1TB spinner to a %!@GB Samsung m2 SSD. I have had several reboots without issue and installed all the updates just fine.

I hope this helps someone else! 🙂

congrats @sideshow_bob for successfully installing your m.2 ssd! im planning to do the same m.2 ssd upgrade as well. but i read that there's a lot of compatibility issue's if you didn't get the m.2 pre-installed. does it help if you get the win8.1 asus installer from a m.2 pre-installed ssd? then use that installer to installe a new m.2 ssd like SM951? or i can just gamble and back up the installer from my pre-installed sanddisk ssd. then install it on the new m.2 ssd? any helpful thoughts is appreciated thanks!

masterserenity
Level 7
I used a SATA 3 SSD. Surprisingly little issues, was quite pleased with it.