Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    ROG Member Array

Without battery ASUS G74SX

As you know ASUS G74Sx is not so portable computer and can be used like Desktop. In this case is it save to unplugged battery and work from electricity. Is it save or it will be better to use with battery?

What do you think and what can recommend ASUS...

Thank you.

ROG Guru: Yellow Belt Array Yahooligan's Avatar

My question to you is "Why?"

It doesn't make any sense to run without the battery and would be much safer for your data if you keep the battery in since it's a built-in battery backup. Power goes out, cord gets unplugged, etc your laptop won't be instantly powered off if you keep the battery in.
    --
    Yahooligan
    ASUS G74SX-XR1

TeamROG Moderator Array xeromist PC Specs
    xeromist PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)Dell Inspiron 15 7567
    MotherboardMSI x470 Gaming Plus
    ProcessorAMD 2600X
    Memory (part number)16GB Crucial Ballistix Elite 3600
    Graphics Card #1ASUS GTX 1080 Strix
    MonitorBenQ BL3200PT
    Storage #1Intel 600p NVMe
    CPU CoolerWraith
    Casecustom Antec 900
    Power SupplyCorsair HX1000
    Keyboard Logitech Orion Spark
    Mouse Logitech MX500
    Headset Plantronics 777 with Oregon Aero upgrade

It doesn't really matter much. The charging plan doesn't constantly charge and will only top off the battery after it discharges about 5% I think (hence not wearing out quickly). If you remove the battery then you will need to remember to put it back and charge it before you do move the laptop, even if that isn't often. It's up to you though.
    * Support disease research with Folding@Home *

< < < Click the drop-down above my avatar for my PC specs!

Hi All,

So are you saying that leaving the batteries on at all time wont jeopardize the life of G74SX batteries? Please advice
    Thx in advance

Quote Originally Posted by gg31hh View Post
    Hi All,

So are you saying that leaving the batteries on at all time wont jeopardize the life of G74SX batteries? Please advice
    Thx in advance
    Correct, the laptop manages the battery and isn't just always charging it even when fully charged. In fact, letting the laptop control the battery charge by doing small charge/discharge cycles (Letting battery level drop to, say, 95% and then charging back to 100%) will extend the life of the battery and allow for more charge/discharge cycles compared to running the battery down to less than 50% before charging it back up.

Also, removing a fully-charged laptop Li-Ion battery and putting it into storage will cause it to lose total capacity by about 20% per year. If you're going to store a Li-Ion battery it should be discharged to 40% of capacity first. By doing this you only lose about 4% of capacity per year.

The short of it is leaving the battery in the laptop and leaving the laptop plugged in will be the least stressful on the battery and allow it to last the longest compared to removing it and throwing it in the closet or desk drawer.
    --
    Yahooligan
    ASUS G74SX-XR1

Quote Originally Posted by Yahooligan View Post
    Correct, the laptop manages the battery and isn't just always charging it even when fully charged. In fact, letting the laptop control the battery charge by doing small charge/discharge cycles (Letting battery level drop to, say, 95% and then charging back to 100%) will extend the life of the battery and allow for more charge/discharge cycles compared to running the battery down to less than 50% before charging it back up.

Also, removing a fully-charged laptop Li-Ion battery and putting it into storage will cause it to lose total capacity by about 20% per year. If you're going to store a Li-Ion battery it should be discharged to 40% of capacity first. By doing this you only lose about 4% of capacity per year.

The short of it is leaving the battery in the laptop and leaving the laptop plugged in will be the least stressful on the battery and allow it to last the longest compared to removing it and throwing it in the closet or desk drawer.

Thank you. You have very well answer all my years of Laptop batteries dilemma.
    I was bought out from the concept of " discharge all the power or you will effect the batteries memory"

I guess the technology of Computer batteries evolve from my olden day understanding

Quote Originally Posted by gg31hh View Post
    Thank you. You have very well answer all my years of Laptop batteries dilemma.
    I was bought out from the concept of " discharge all the power or you will effect the batteries memory"

I guess the technology of Computer batteries evolve from my olden day understanding
    Indeed, laptop batteries these days don't have memory like the old-school Ni-Cd batteries. Lithium-Ion batteries, like our G74s use, have no memory. Their life varies based on temperature, depth of discharge, and total charge/discharge cycles.

For example, discharging a Li-Ion battery "100%" every time will reduce the useful battery life to 500 cycles. Only discharging the battery to 50% increases the life to 1500 cycles, and so on. Less stress on the battery gives a longer life in terms of cycles.
    --
    Yahooligan
    ASUS G74SX-XR1

Indeed, laptop batteries these days don't have memory like the old-school Ni-Cd batteries. Lithium-Ion batteries, like our G74s use, have no memory. Their life varies based on temperature, depth of discharge, and total charge/discharge cycles.

For example, discharging a Li-Ion battery "100%" every time will reduce the useful battery life to 500 cycles. Only discharging the battery to 50% increases the life to 1500 cycles, and so on. Less stress on the battery gives a longer life in terms of cycles.

I see. It is interesting what people says when you google "extending batteries life" . But I thank you for your clear explanation.

So to be clear, It is best not to empty all the power from batteries but to let it fluctuate between 100% ~ 50%?

Brian@ASUS
    To a very small degree taking out your battery may help save your batteries life. all lithium ion batteries will decrease in battery life the more you use it. but honestly, by the time your battery is on its way out, you would have probably upgraded to a newer notebook by then. this over several years of constant charge discharge. personally i would use it like normal. its not worth the hassle to worry about taking it in and out. after a few times, you're going to say screw it just leave it in. besides what if you happen to disconnect your charger from the wall. its better to have the battery be there as a safety than your system turning off instantly.

ROG Guru: Black Belt Array

Great info! Thanks for that.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast