cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Asus Rog Swift 144hz major problem

Nero6
Level 7
Hello,

I have bought the monitor pretty much at launch (july 31), and for the past few weeks I0ve been incresignly having a major problema with it, I believe I might have to send it back.

When I put the monitor at 144 hz, I get many white horizontal lines flickering all over the screen with higher frequency on the right side. Keep in mind these aren't just some barely visible white lines, they are pretty noticable even with a white background. Also I get very blurry "floating" text.

If I set the monitor to 120hz or lower this problem gets less noticebale but DOESN'T go away.

I heard from other people that it is not the DP cable's fault; changing to a higher quality cable wont fix it.

EDIT: Video of the problem - http://tinypic.com/r/1zpm7bk/8

Should I go and return it to the store? Any word from asus on this topic?

If needed I can try and record the issue on vídeo to show you here.

Thanks
10 REPLIES 10

chiXu
Level 7
Similar problem, but I need to turn the refresh rate down to 60 to make them go away. For me, the lines are usually a very prominent green colour which take up the entire right side of the screen.

nvrs
Level 7
I sent mine back to the retailer 3 days ago because after a months usage it started displaying blurry text at all resolutions and refresh rates except in UMLB mode and severe artifacts / flickering during gaming. If your monitor is not performing as it was 3 months ago you should without doubt RMA it. Judging by other posters experience with this process you might have to start practicing your patience

After a few days of the problema getting even worse (more flickering, text blurryness, background white horizontal shadow lines) i went to the store today to get it repaired. Here is a video I made 2 days ago, MASSIVE white lines flickering mostly on the right side (max res and 144 hz, at lower refresh the lines get less noticable but still there). What I couldn't show is the text, but it was also blurry and appeared to be always "moving" a bit. Btw, I am now using my old monitor again (sigh) and I have no problems at all, so it's not my setup. Also my drives are always updated.

http://tinypic.com/r/1zpm7bk/8

Anyone from asus can comment on this? I see this is a common problem, any explanation what causes it? Will I get a new one or a repair?

Costas
Level 10
Checked out your video and I see what you mean.

I have been running 144Hz [at max res] from day one - purchased monitor in late Sept.

I have not seen this issue on mine either on the desktop or while gaming.

Astrix_au
Level 7
I have this as well on my 2x 290x's if I run at 144hz, do you have AMD GPU's?

I run my Swift on 120hz and it's amazing, specially on BF4 running Mantle playing 135% resolution scale (3456x1944p) basically just under 4K on the screen and locking my FPS most of the time on 120fps.

Below is a response from AMD on the issue that I believe happens as this monitor was developed and tweaked to achieve 144hz on Nvidia and Gsync.

Hi, Daniel. We have this monitor in our lab and took a look at the firmware of the electronics for the display. Our analysis reveals that this monitor’s firmware is not compliant with a VESA certification called Coordinated Video Timing (CVT). The CVT timing standard provides a common framework for a graphics card and monitor to reliably communicate, especially at high refresh rates or resolutions (e.g. 144Hz). Failure to follow the standards set forth in VESA CVT specification can cause interoperability and visual errors, like the one your are experiencing now, or common errors like “DisplayPort link failure.”

Unfortunately there is not much we can do on our end to resolve this problem, as it is a firmware issue with this particular display.

Sincerely,

Robert
ASUS Maximus VI Formula - i7 4770K - H80i - MSI R9 Fury X - HyperX 16GB Ram - 250GB + 500GB Samsung 840 EVO SSD - Benq XL2730Z 2560x1440p 144hz Freesync - Seasonic 1000w 80 Plus Platnum...

Oh, for what its worth I have a geForce GTX 780ti, so it is not a problem specific to trying to run AMD video cards. I haven't taken a video but here is a still picture which shows it is precisely the same problem. The flickering, etc. Note that this is far more visible in 144hz but it is not limited to it, it's just less easily seen at lower refresh.

@Astrix_au
No I use nvidia (asus, btw) geforce gtx 760. Also I have my drivers updated. I sent it to back to the store and since been using my old Samsung monitor and I have no issues at all anymore... I hope they will give me a new unit soon.

Justinian
Level 7
This is precisely and exactly the problem I have with my monitor. Not sort of, not close, *exactly*.

Justinian
Level 7
I see Marshall@Asus has been commenting in various threads. I hope he has a comment or looks into this issue because it clearly isn't an isolated thing.