cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Thunderbolt and Docking Stations, What are you using to dock your laptop?

TechMan2014
Level 7
What are you using to dock your laptop?
I have tried a Thunderbolt solution, but it only seems to work with one monitor unless I want to spend $$$$ on an Apple unit. USB docks have been unreliable.

I love having this unit, but I need to be able to have a fast way to connect it at work. (YES work. I had a "mobile workstation" that just didn't perform the way the G751 does. Loaded down with all of the junk it still boots in under 10 seconds. the other device took over 3 minutes) Right now on my desk there is not a port that is not in use (except the card reader) its a 5 minute setup and tear down just to get wired for network, dual monitors, and peripherals.

Tell me what you have and how it is working for you.

THANKS!
7 REPLIES 7

hmscott
Level 12
TechMan2014 wrote:
What are you using to dock your laptop?
I have tried a Thunderbolt solution, but it only seems to work with one monitor unless I want to spend $$$$ on an Apple unit. USB docks have been unreliable.

I love having this unit, but I need to be able to have a fast way to connect it at work. (YES work. I had a "mobile workstation" that just didn't perform the way the G751 does. Loaded down with all of the junk it still boots in under 10 seconds. the other device took over 3 minutes) Right now on my desk there is not a port that is not in use (except the card reader) its a 5 minute setup and tear down just to get wired for network, dual monitors, and peripherals.

Tell me what you have and how it is working for you.

THANKS!

TechMan2014, I haven't found a working dock solution for Asus ROG laptops, but if you pre-set up the environment and leave the parts set up, it only takes me 30 seconds to go from in the bag to booting up.

I buy a 2nd power adapater, and duplicate the ethernet, hdmi, kensington cable lock, and dedicate a keyboard/mouse set up. I connect up the power, ethernet, hdmi, and single USB from keyboard and I am up and running.

I don't like the wear and tear on the sockets/plugs, but so far I haen't had a single failure in many years of doing this.

The corporate / Dell laptops with dock sit there next to the ROG laptop gathering dust, because the most memory I can get in them is usually 8GB, which isn't enough for the several VM's I typically need to run to match the server(s) configurations I need to support.

The ROG laptop is so much faster and better equiped, quite often others will end up getting their own to bring in to the office 🙂

If you find something that works, please let us know.

TechMan2014
Level 7
I purchased a highly recommended dual monitor dock (one of 2 that seem to be on the market). It will recognize the monitor connected, and the model, but will not display. I spoke to their support and they say it is not compatible. I know I live in a Utopia, but what is a standard if its not standardized?

Im not going to go with a USB dock. So i will do the tear-down every day. Still well worth it.

Not to jump threads, but what is the storry with the Triality 3 displays that are advertised, but no information is available for?

TechMan2014 wrote:
...Im not going to go with a USB dock. So i will do the tear-down every day. Still well worth it.

Not to jump threads, but what is the story with the Triality 3 displays that are advertised, but no information is available for?

TechMan2014, I never heard of a Triality 3 display... maybe dig up more searchable tokens, correct spelling or manufacturer info?

TechMan2014
Level 7
My bad.
Trinity Display:

I use a 'plugable' docking station for 2 monitors, it works Great, easy to use.

ledgedes wrote:
I use a 'plugable' docking station for 2 monitors, it works Great, easy to use.

ledgedes, do you have a make / model, and a link for the device to share? 🙂

ReDFoX2200
Level 7
has any one tried owc thunderbolt 2 dock?