DownyTif

G74Sx-A1 having a score of 4.5 in the Processor category !?!? (Windows Index)

Hi,

I bought a G74Sx-A1 last week. Before doing a clean Windows install, my Processor score was like 7.6. Now, it's 4.5. What did I miss??????????

Thanks!

ROG Guru: Black Belt Array

Check and make sure that your processor hasn't been limited in the msconfig setup:

- Open msconfig (START > msconfig)
    - Go to the Boot tab, and select "Advanced Options"
    - Make sure the "Number of processors:" box is unchecked.
    - Reboot if you make any changes

ROG Guru: Yellow Belt Array Yahooligan's Avatar

Also make sure you have the basic ASUS drivers/utilities installed, such as Power4Gear Hybrid. It's possible the laptop is running in battery-saver mode and is limiting CPU speed.
    --
    Yahooligan
    ASUS G74SX-XR1

ROG Guru: Black Belt Array

Ooh, I'd have to disagree there. Power4Gear isn't a basic driver, but really just Asus bloatw...uh, software........for making power profiles. Windows can do power profiles just as well, if not better, and if the computer does happen to be running in some sort of power-saver mode, you can just change that setting in Windows Power Options, rather than adding a redundant utility to do it.

DownyTif
    Thanks for the quick reply guys.
    @BrodyBoy: The checkbox was already unchecked.
    @Yahooligan: I don't know if I'm missing some. P4G is installed and running the Driver DVD that comes with the laptop, I don't see anything related to chipset, power... meaning I have all this installed. I did the format last week, I didn't notice until now the index. I have installed:

ATK Package 1.0.0014
    Intel HM65 Chipset : 9.2.0.1015 (just noticed 1025 is available, I'll install it after this reply)
    Intel SATA Controller : 10.1.0.1008
    P4G : 1.1.43

Ok, since you have P4G installed, run it. Start -> Programs -> ASUS Utility -> Power4Gear Hybrid

What mode is it in? High Performance, Entertainment, Quiet Office, Battery Saving? What is "Processor Power Management" set to?
    --
    Yahooligan
    ASUS G74SX-XR1

DownyTif
    I have the gadget opened at startup. It's on High PErformance (Plugged-in) with all default params (processor 100%)... For some reasons, I can't install the new INF files from HM65... The setup runs ok, but nothing changes in the device manager, even after a restart...

DownyTif
    Ok I downloaded the INF from Intel and updated manually. Now my version is 9.2.0.1016. After the reboot, I noticed it was faster, so I re-ran the Index test:

CPU: 5.4 ---> 7.4
    Mem: 7.2 ---> 7.6
    Graphics : 7.2
    Gaming Graphics : 7.2
    HDD : 5.9

Looks like it's fixed. Do you have something similar? Didn't know a simple upgrade of the INF could have that impact on the system.... weird.

Mine shows 9.2.0.1015. I didn't do a fresh install, though. I'm still running the ASUS install of Win7. Glad you got it sorted out, those numbers match what I get.
    --
    Yahooligan
    ASUS G74SX-XR1

DownyTif
    I'm actually suspecting that P4G was in a weird state. Before I changed the driver, I switched the P4G settings to Battery Saving and then back to High PErformance. Didn't change a thing at the moment, but after reboot, maybe it help... oh well. Thanks for the help !!