cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Which Cable ?

stvn758
Level 7
Just bought a Phoebus so I can connect it directly to my Audiolab MDAC via the Coax/SPDIF out, the cable fits in my DAC fine but it barely stays in the SPDIF connector on the soundcard. The DAC says it's unlocked and I cannot get any sound through it from my PC.

I have checked the SPDIF box in the software menu. I did a lot of reading up and as far as I could see Coax and SPDIF are one in the same, the only difference I noted was some cables had metal sheaths which enable a solid grip when plugged in and some looked like standard RCA audio jacks.

This was the one reason I bought this card, so I would no longer have to use a Toslink to Coax adaptor from my Creative X-Fi. Could someone help me please, just spent a lot of money and the one thing I wanted doesn't work.

This is the cable I bought, Coax SPDIF, I'm confused.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00159O0E2?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00

Thanks
5 REPLIES 5

DamnedLife
Level 7
No not that cable! Buy optical SPDIF cable and then connect one end to DAC and put the optical adapter on the other end and then to the side/optical plug

DamnedLife wrote:
No not that cable! Buy optical SPDIF cable and then connect one end to DAC and put the optical adapter on the other end and then to the side/optical plug

Thanks for the reply, just realised what a 'combo' means. All the optical connections on my DAC are taken up, that's why I wanted a card with coax output. Does any Asus card have coax - one says it does but I don't want to end up with another optical combo connector in disguise again. Sending the Phoebus back.

Thanks.

izzyreb02
Level 9
On my D2x it has a Coax on it. But it also supports an optical connection as well, so you can use the black coax to s/pidf out connection converter thing if you want to use optical on something. I to was planning to get a AV-Receiver one day that I can use the Coaxial on this sound card to get better sound out of it than the analog connections I have with my Logitech 5.1 speakers.

izzyreb02 wrote:
On my D2x it has a Coax on it. But it also supports an optical connection as well, so you can use the black coax to s/pidf out connection converter thing if you want to use optical on something. I to was planning to get a AV-Receiver one day that I can use the Coaxial on this sound card to get better sound out of it than the analog connections I have with my Logitech 5.1 speakers.

They really like to confuse people, looking at the pictures of that card it definitely looks like a Coax socket. I was tempted to buy that card instead of the Phoebus but it's quite an old one. I got a reply from Asus regarding this question and they recommended their outboard sound card - one with an army camouflage paintjob. Not even sure how an external sound card works, not a pretty solution.

I'll have to look at some reviews of the card, I have an Audigy X-Fi at the moment. Might give it a go, another 12 quid return postage if it doesn't work but, that's life.

stvn758 wrote:
They really like to confuse people, looking at the pictures of that card it definitely looks like a Coax socket. I was tempted to buy that card instead of the Phoebus but it's quite an old one. I got a reply from Asus regarding this question and they recommended their outboard sound card - one with an army camouflage paintjob. Not even sure how an external sound card works, not a pretty solution.

I'll have to look at some reviews of the card, I have an Audigy X-Fi at the moment. Might give it a go, another 12 quid return postage if it doesn't work but, that's life.

You mean external sound card, and yes I know what one your on about. I to have it here to. (U7 Echelon Edition)

Funny thing to note, they don't sell the U7 Echelon in Australia. But I purchased it on ebay brand new, so incase something goes wrong on the D2x, I have that one to rely on.

Don't buy the original U7 (the black unit) cause you wont be able to install Soundstage Pro on it, where it has extra features that can do Virtual surround sound or Mic filtering, EQ etc. Even though the Echelon has the Sound Radar, I wont be using it though.

Even though the U7 and the U7 Echelon are the same, the only thing that is different is the drivers, since they are are locked on the type of product you have.