ROG Member Array

Anyone using an external usb dac with Ramp V

I want to use an external amp and dac ,particularly the modi usb dac and magni headphone amp by Schiit Audio. There is a vague reference in the amazon review of the modi dac- that modi will not work with Haswell processors(not E Haswell) without using something like this: ( ifi iUSB Audio Power Supply provided that the unit's ground isolation switch was on. This thing costs over $200.00)
    I have searched extensively whether or not this audio set up would work with Ramp V with no success.I want to use these headphones:Beyerdynamic DT-880 Pro Headphones (250 Ohm) with this setup.So my question is can any audio persion shed any light on whether this would be compatible?It is also possible to buy modi in an optical config with a separate power supply to take the usb out of the equation.Would that work? And finally, I wont take it personally if I get no responses because I barely know what I am talking about and don't know if i have presented the question clearly enough to get a response.
    thanks

ROG Member Array

Yes - the RVE will work with an external USB DAC and headphone amp.

I have a NAD M51 DAC and an ECP DSHA-1 headphone amp connected to one of the USB 3.0 ports on a RVE/5960X/Win 8.1 Pro system.

I'm using the NAD USB Windows driver and J River Media Center 20 to playback high-def 24/96 and 24/192 FLAC files.
    No problem.

I prefer USB to optical, but the USB version of the Modi limits you to 24/96 for playback.
    There are many folks who will tell you that anything beyond 24/96 is meaningless (or even worse).
    Won't fight that battle here.

I prefer USB to S/PDIF optical, but that's just a personal preference and not a statement about quality differences.

I'm a bit of a headphone geek so I'll tell you that I like Beyerdynamics - I have a pair of Beyer DT-770 Pros.
    I have other headphones, but the Beyers are the ones I wear on a daily basis (so comfy).

BTW - the Modi is a great unit for the price and should be fully capable of driving your DT-880s.
    Last edited by trose02; 11-10-2014 at 01:56 AM.
    MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Rampage V Extreme
    CPU: Intel Core-i7 5960X
    CPU COOLER: Coolermaster Nepton 280XL
    RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum DDR4-2666 C15 32GB
    GPU: Sapphire Radeon R9 290X 4GB Vapor-X Tri-X OC
    SSD: Samsung 850 Pro 1TB x 2
    HDD: Western Digitial Caviar Black 3TB x 2
    PSU: Corsair AX1500i CASE: Corsair Obsidian 900D

ROG Member Array

Thank you for your informative reply!! Do you forsee any problems with the magni modi usb setup on win 7 ultimate 64 bit? And as far as the wiring goes:usb 2.0 on ramp to usb on modi, and then rca red and white from modi to magni ? Is it that simple? The Schiit website says I don't need any drivers and that I just use windows volume control.Anyway thanks for the help-i am going to pull the trigger on that set up.Thanks again.

ROG Member Array

I've also got a Win 7 Ultimate system / ASUS P6T2 Deluxe w Intel Core i7-920.

I've got the same audio H/W running on that system as on the RVE/5960X.
    You should be fine.

Yes, wiring is that simple: RVE --> USB --> Modi --> RCA --> Magni --> 1/4" Headphone.

The Modi will take power from the USB port on the RVE, and the Magni will have an AC wall wart.

BTW - you should leave your Windows USB device volume level set to 100% and use the volume control on the Magni.
    Last edited by trose02; 11-10-2014 at 03:12 AM.
    MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Rampage V Extreme
    CPU: Intel Core-i7 5960X
    CPU COOLER: Coolermaster Nepton 280XL
    RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum DDR4-2666 C15 32GB
    GPU: Sapphire Radeon R9 290X 4GB Vapor-X Tri-X OC
    SSD: Samsung 850 Pro 1TB x 2
    HDD: Western Digitial Caviar Black 3TB x 2
    PSU: Corsair AX1500i CASE: Corsair Obsidian 900D

ROG Member Array

trose02,
    That is great news, and I really appreciate your help and advice-I have been searching the web and audio forums since this morning with no luck.I should have started here in the first place!Thanks.

ROG Guru: Orange Belt Array vmanuelgm's Avatar

I have an Onkyo a-9000r connected to RVE, working flawlessly...

It would be fine to pair the usb dac with IFI ipurifier, to reduce EMI.

Would be fine, as well, to connect mouse and keyboard in the case usb's (connected to mobo pins), so that you can reduce noise interference through back panel usb's.

When you are using internet through onboard lan, it is possible you can hear a Little bit noise, charging web pages...

It is very difficult to isolate all the noise coming from a mobo!!!
    Last edited by vmanuelgm; 11-10-2014 at 02:31 PM.
    Omega, 10980xe, G.Skill 3600, 2080Ti, SM951 256, 970 PRO, 860 EVO
    Intel 750, WD SN750 Black, 840 Pro, 2xSkyhawk 4TB, 7200.14, 207EBK
    EVGA T2 1600, Silverstone TJ11, Custom LC. @Acer Predator x34

ROG Member Array

Thanks vmanuelgm,have ordered this on your recommendation:IFI - iPurifier Inline USB Audio Conditioner.I am hoping I don't have to use the interior onboard usb 2,but if i have noise I will know what to do-thanks again!

ROG Member Array

And to make sure I have all my bases covered,I just installed usb 2.0 slot using mobo 2.0 headers.Again i am very appreciative of the knowledgeable help I have received from both trose02 and vmanuelgm.

ROG Guru: Orange Belt Array vmanuelgm's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by raf61 View Post
    And to make sure I have all my bases covered,I just installed usb 2.0 slot using mobo 2.0 headers.Again i am very appreciative of the knowledgeable help I have received from both trose02 and vmanuelgm.
    You are welcome!!!

Omega, 10980xe, G.Skill 3600, 2080Ti, SM951 256, 970 PRO, 860 EVO
    Intel 750, WD SN750 Black, 840 Pro, 2xSkyhawk 4TB, 7200.14, 207EBK
    EVGA T2 1600, Silverstone TJ11, Custom LC. @Acer Predator x34