cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is the G53sx video card replaceable?

agustinona
Level 7
Hi guys, I have a problem with my g53sx right now and was wondering if I could work around it myself (as in avoiding RMAing it) so your help would be much appreciated :).
This is the thing: when I power up my computer screen just stays black, but I do get to hear windows startup sounds and am able to turn it off via alt-f4 -> enter so I'm guessing the PC is overall alright but there is obviously some problem with the video, the possible faulty parts being the video card, the flex or the screen itself (am I missing something?).
Since I don't have a lot of tools here (living abroad and poor) all I could do was disassemble it all the way to the motherboard, though I didn't pull out the video card itself (don't even know if that's even possible cause I've read contradictory info on that subject) and put it back together just in case something was just loose. Result was the exact same as before, with startup sounds and everything, but no video at all. So next thing I did was plug in a monitor via HDMI cable (it's all I could get my hands on) but nothing, no video ever coming out of either screen.
So now I'm thinking my video card may be toast :(.
Questions are:

1) Is this proof enough that video card is broken or am I missing something/doing something wrong? Are there any other things that could be causing the problem or any other test I could perform?
2) In case video card is toast, is it replaceable (and worth replacing)? In case it is would this work just fine without any mods (I almost have no tools at all): http://www.ebay.com/itm/For-ASUS-G53S-G53SX-VIDEO-CARD-60-N7CVG1000-A03-A13-GEFORCE-GTX-560M-2GB-/23...
3) Is video card replacement just a matter of taking it all apart and putting it back together via simple screwing/unscrewing or would there be any soldering/unsoldering needed?

Any help would be greatly appreciated, I really need to get it working again ASAP because of, you know, thesis 😞
1 REPLY 1

cl-Albert
US Customer Loyalty Agent
Sorry for the delay.

Although it could be a video card problem, other things can cause your system not to 'post' or show video like bad memory, a bad motherboard (and possibly some other component?), and even a bad cpu which usually would be our last guess, but probably does happen once in a (long?) while.

Anyway, if you didn't already know, just wanted to remind you that it's possible to connect your hard drive by USB to another computer (assuming the hard drive is okay) if you are more worried about getting the data rather than getting the system to work again.

Good luck!