cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dual channel ram problem by default

aiglenico1
Level 7
Hello, I just bought 8GB of ram I have add to my original 4 GB, but it is 2 different ram, Barrette Hyundai Electronics 4GB and 8GB G.Skill Barrette, I had put on the slots 2 and 3, they are automatically dual channel, but I want them to be simple channel, suddenly the G.Skill are limited to 800Mhz instead of 1600Mhz. Can you help me?
6 REPLIES 6

Maxter
Level 9
if one RAM stick is faster than the second one, the first RAM stick will be underclocked to the speed of the slower one.

aiglenico1
Level 7
Is there a solution then? knowing that I can not disassemble the pc?

aiglenico1 wrote:
Is there a solution then? knowing that I can not disassemble the pc?

aiglenico1 wrote:
can i disable the slower ram?

aiglenico1, no, you need to get compatible SODIMM's to put in the 2 slots on the bottom, or replace all 4 SODIMM's.

You can't adjust things in the BIOS to get incompatible memory to be compatible 🙂

Either return that memory, and get the same as the laptop came with - you could upgrade to 8GB SODIMM's of the same family make/model line as the 4GB it came with - if it came with 4GB SODIMM's.

Or, you can buy 2 more of the same SODIMM's as you added and replace the 2 SODIMM's in the top slots.

aiglenico1
Level 7
can i disable the slower ram?

aiglenico1
Level 7
Thx hmscott, or i can replace my ram 4 Go behind the keyboard to my ram 8 Go, if i have one ram in one slot is this dangerous ?, It's better single channel, 8 Go, 1600 Mhz or dual channel, 4Go, 1600 Mhz ?

aiglenico1 wrote:
Thx hmscott, or i can replace my ram 4 Go behind the keyboard to my ram 8 Go, if i have one ram in one slot is this dangerous ?, It's better single channel, 8 Go, 1600 Mhz or dual channel, 4Go, 1600 Mhz ?

aiglenico1, after you pull out the original memory, you can put the new memory in any slot. The Motherboard will reconfigure, but I would suggest putting them in the top 2 SODIMM slots so your disassembly work is done, and you can add the 2 SODIMM's under the easy access panel later when you get more SODIMM's. And, yes you can install only 1 SODIMM.

Let us know how it works out 🙂