cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maximus VI Hero - Primary PCI-E Slot Corrupt?

profitgoblue
Level 7
I am desperate. I believe I have tried almost everything possible but my primary PCI-E slot is still non-responsive. I upgraded my graphics card to the new EVGA GTX 980 recently. On first boot, everything worked fine - Windows came up and I was able to run some light applications like Internet Explorer and TeamSpeak. However, after about 10-15 minutes I got the dreaded black screen. The system was still running - everything was still powered - but no picture. I was worried that it was my new GPU so I switched it to the second PCI-E slot to rule that out and, wouldn't you know it, the card works fine in that slot. Runs every game like a dream. I also tried my old GTX 780 Classified in the primary PCI-E slot (where it used to work fine) and that card did not work in that slot either. All I get is a black screen. So....

I've messed with the BIOS settings, flashed the BIOS, reset the CMOS, and nothing has worked. I've even tried different connections between the card and my monitor (both DV-I and Direct). Is it possible that my PCI-E slot just suddently failed??

Here are my specs:

Maximus VI Hero mobo
i7 4770K CPU
Kingston HyperXBeast 16GB RAM
EVGA GTX 980 SC
Corsair HX 750 PSU

Anyone have any last-minute ideas before I try to get ASUS to give me an RMA? Its been over a week now and I'm losing patience. Thanks!
3 REPLIES 3

MeanMachine
Level 13
Hi profitgoblue and Welcome to ROG
Before you decide to RMA, there are a few things I would check and some you may have already checked.
Try switching PCIe cables or check proper connection at PSU end.
Blow out the PCIe socket with compressed air canister, in case socket is contaminated and ensure the card is seated firmly when installing.

As you have changed Bios settings, these are some of the settings I would check:

UEFI settings to check:

1. Advanced -> PCH Configuration -> PCI Express Configuration

Disable any ASPM (Active State Power Management) on the PCI-E bus

2. Advanced -> System Agent Configuration -> Graphics Configuraion

Primary Display = PCIE

3. Advanced -> System Agent Configuration -> NB PCIe Configuraion

Again check for any ASPM settings you don't want

4. Advanced -> Onboard Devices Configuration -> PCI Express X4_3 slot (black) bandwidth

Should these actions prove fruitless then RMA the MB.

What version Bios are you on?
We owe our existence to the scum of the earth, Cyanobacteria

My System Specs:

MB:ASUS ROG Crosshair VII Hero/WiFi GPU:EVGA GTX 1080 sc PSU:Corsair AX-1200i
CPU:
AMD R7 2700X Cooler: Corsair Hydro H115i Case: Corsair Carbide 780t

Memory:G.Skill TridentZ F4-3200C14D-16GTZR SSD:Samsung 500GB 960 EVO M.2

[/HR]

profitgoblue
Level 7
Thanks very much for these tricks! I will try each of them tonight one last time.

I am on the 0903 version of the BIOS, I believe (I'm not in front of my PC at the moment). I flashed it and CMOSed it but I never tried updating it to the current version. Do you think that is something I should try as well??

MeanMachine
Level 13
Hi profitgoblue and yes, I would give it a go.

Latest Bios update for your MB is 1603. http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/ROG_MAXIMUS_VI_HERO/HelpDesk_Download/
Also, BIOS updater for New 4th Gen Intel Core Processors. Have you updated?
For best method to update, Just ask.
Recommend you also update MEI (Intel Management Engine Interface) V9.5.15.1730 if you don't have latest version.

MM
We owe our existence to the scum of the earth, Cyanobacteria

My System Specs:

MB:ASUS ROG Crosshair VII Hero/WiFi GPU:EVGA GTX 1080 sc PSU:Corsair AX-1200i
CPU:
AMD R7 2700X Cooler: Corsair Hydro H115i Case: Corsair Carbide 780t

Memory:G.Skill TridentZ F4-3200C14D-16GTZR SSD:Samsung 500GB 960 EVO M.2

[/HR]