cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G751-Series Laptops only playing sound through subwoofer. FIX??

BRSxIgnition
Level 9
PLEASE SEE CONDENSED THREAD REBOOT HERE:>
G751 Subwoofer-only Sound Problem OFFICIAL SUPPORT THREAD

As the title says, all of my laptop's audio is only playing through the Subwoofer.

After a few things went wrong with cloning my old drive onto my new SSD and I ended up needing a fresh install of windows 8.1 x64 Pro - I've now gotten my computer to it's previous state, and I've transferred my files over + downloaded and installed all drivers from the ASUS G751JT support page. (Including the audio driver: "Audio_Realtek_Win81_64_VER6017335")

Thing is, after doing a speaker test now - finally in a place where I can hear them 100%, unlike the mall where I originally tested them - the sound is distinctly coming from only the subwoofer. If I make any level (Left/Right Volume) changes to the center/front/rear/subwoofer in the audio settings, only "front" makes any difference.

It makes the ONLY difference. (See: 0 = NO SOUND -> 100 = SOUND) Levels change completely normally when using headphones.

When I plug in the headphones, this screen pops up - if I go back to its settings, and select a 5.1 surround sound setting for my options, it says I have no side speakers. When I run the test and it lights up the speakers in the image while playing a sound on them, the results are the following:

• Left & Right Channels play through Subwoofer
  • All other channels (Center, Rear Left & Right, Subwoofer) fail and do not play a sound. (Though the ambient noise of it failing to play a sound can still be heard from the subwoofer)

Before you recommend it, deselecting "Swap Center / Subwoofer Output" does nothing.

.... What do I do?
253 REPLIES 253

toronto699
Level 13
un check "Swap center/subwoofer" in device manager go to "sound video game controllers" check if audio driver is installed correctly , on my unit other devices is my printer

BRSxIgnition
Level 9
Like I said, "Swap Center / Subwoofer" does not work or do anything.

From what I can tell, all the devices listed under "Sound, video and game controllers," aka:

• Bluetooth Audio Device
  • High Definition Audio Device
  • NVIDIA Virtual Audio Device (Wave Extensible) WDM
  • Realtek High Definition Audio

...are working correctly. (There are no error symbols or anything)

toronto699
Level 13
"Realtek High Definition Audio" is your audio driver ,
code 28 could be a driver not installed correctly or a registry error.
find "Run" type "temp" in the run box delete all temp files , then type " %temp%" in the run box delete all those files reboot

BRSxIgnition
Level 9
How do I fix Code 28? Are we sure that that device/driver is the cause of the issue?

I did what you said about the temp folder, and other than Nvidia folders which were "in use in another program," I could delete all of them.

There was no change in the audio.

toronto699
Level 13
some files in temp will not delete as they are in use that's normal , usually code 28 is a driver that was not overwritten when it was reinstalled and causes an error in registry or by a files in temp that windows thinks are still in use usually code28 is an audio driver issue or usb issue , u can try reinstalling the audio driver. it could be one missing install code or ini file that did not install correctly
I checked Microsoft error page thats what Microsoft error code pages said code 28 is

I have tried reinstalling the audio driver multiple times now...

I'll try getting it right from Realtek but I don't think it will work.

BRSxIgnition
Level 9
UPDATE: MY SPEAKERS ARE NOT DEAD.

I decided that as a last ditch resort, I would delete all audio drivers in device manager and reboot, essentially forcing "general use" microsoft drivers to take the place of the old ones. It worked, but there are now 3 "Speaker"-labeled "High Definition Audio" devices listed under sound. Two of them are listed as connected, and after playing the test tone, one of them is for the two rear speakers, and one of them is for the subwoofer. The last "device" is labeled speakers, but is "disconnected." (I think it's the thunderbolt port)

(The top "speaker" is the back speakers, the bottom "speaker" is the subwoofer.)

What driver do I install to combine the two working "devices"?

Can I even do so?

toronto699
Level 13
why not install the audio driver from your G751JT software page , the same way by uninstalling audio driver from device manager then installing the realtek V 60117335

toronto699 wrote:
why not install the audio driver from your G751JT software page , the same way by uninstalling audio driver from device manager then installing the realtek V 60117335

I will try that. Hopefully it works this time and it doesn't end up like the first time I "fresh installed" it.

Wish me luck.