cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G751 Performance

HulkSmash
Level 8
So...I'm extremely happy with my new laptop. I went from a G75 with a 660m, to this beast with a 970m. I just got it today and it's worlds apart! I played some AC Unity today, and despite all the horror stories, it's running awesome on this machine! I'm running it at 1080p all maxed out (just AA on FXAA), and I get a constant 40-45fps, never below 30... Other demanding games like for example Tomb Raider, runs on this thing at 60-80fps with even tressFX on!

I used to run my 660m overclocked at 135+, 350+, and it used to make quite the difference, sometimes about even 10-15 fps...and that was kepler, never going over 70C (I did do a repaste with AS5 though). Anyways, this is a brand new laptop and although not necessary, I'm very tempted to do a little OC'ing on it... The temps are just so good on this new machine. Anyone would suggest against me doing it?
50 REPLIES 50

hmscott
Level 12
HulkSmash wrote:
So...I'm extremely happy with my new laptop. I went from a G75 with a 660m, to this beast with a 970m. I just got it today and it's worlds apart! I played some AC Unity today, and despite all the horror stories, it's running awesome on this machine! I'm running it at 1080p all maxed out (just AA on FXAA), and I get a constant 40-45fps, never below 30... Other demanding games like for example Tomb Raider, runs on this thing at 60-80fps with even tressFX on!

I used to run my 660m overclocked at 135+, 350+, and it used to make quite the difference, sometimes about even 10-15 fps...and that was kepler, never going over 70C (I did do a repaste with AS5 though). Anyways, this is a brand new laptop and although not necessary, I'm very tempted to do a little OC'ing on it... The temps are just so good on this new machine. Anyone would suggest against me doing it?

HulkSmash, dude go for it! 🙂

Asus encourages it by shipping Intel XTU and Asus Tweak Tool installed. I haven't seen anyone doing GPU tuning yet, but XTU has been reported to work. Might as well get all the CPU you are paying for 🙂

Please post snippets showing the tool settings and before / after results. Others would love to see the settings as a base to start their tunings.

Have fun 🙂

HulkSmash
Level 8
I'm using EVGA precision and it works. I'll post some things in the near future...

HulkSmash wrote:
I'm using EVGA precision and it works. I'll post some things in the near future...

HulkSmash, cool, I had more luck with MSI Afterburner myself. I also used GPU-Z to monitor / verify the changes.

Is the Asus GPU Tweak tool installed on the G751 the one for Laptops - like on the G750JM/JS/JZ with Optimus - or the one for Graphics Cards like the G750JW/JX/JH? The one for Graphics Cards lets you set frequencies for GPU/memory and voltage on cards that allow actually take/follow the setting.

Here is a post about the difference:

Asus GPU Tweak for Laptops vs Asus GPU Tweak for Graphics Cards
http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?45644-Asus-GPU-Tweak-for-Laptops-vs-Asus-GPU-Tweak-for-Grap...

There are images of both versions, can you please post an image of your Asus GPU Tweak for G751 if it is different, or let us know which one is installed?

If your G751 didn't come with a version installed, can you please download and install the Asus Tweak Tool For Graphics Cards version and let us know if it works?

You won't need EVGA Precision X or MSI Afterburner if the Asus Tweak Tool For Graphics Cards version works 🙂

Here are what the two versions we have seen so far look like:

Asus Tweak Tool for Laptops

Asus Tweak Tool for Graphics Cards

HulkSmash
Level 8
Oh ok, I see what you mean. No, it doesn't come with the asus GPU tweak app. That's why I'm using EVGA Precision. However precision only let's you OC 135+ max. On my old G75 with a 660m, I used to go over that limit by forcing PStates with a batch file. I'm wondering if the 900m will end working the same way... I never messed with the asus Tweak tool, did it have a limit on the clock?

I'll download it right now....

HulkSmash
Level 8
I just tried GPU tweak, and the same limit is there, can't go beyond 135+. And I wouldn't try to mess arround with the voltage on a laptop... But maybe the forced PSstate could work. I mean I played AC Unity yesterday for about 1 hour, and the most my GPU was at was like 66C most of the time at 63C. And that was overclocked with 135+ and 200+ on mem clock, so I feel like this card can go muuuuch further!

HulkSmash wrote:
I just tried GPU tweak, and the same limit is there, can't go beyond 135+. And I wouldn't try to mess arround with the voltage on a laptop... But maybe the forced PSstate could work. I mean I played AC Unity yesterday for about 1 hour, and the most my GPU was at was like 66C most of the time at 63C. And that was overclocked with 135+ and 200+ on mem clock, so I feel like this card can go muuuuch further!

HulkSmash, it's too bad that the physical situation with GPU's on laptops makes it so tough to replace for the user. That is likely why Asus and other companies don't build in the same OC capabilities into the BIOS/vbios - it's too costly to repair / replace a bricked GPU/CPU.

If you brick a desktop Graphics card when playing with the vBIOS settings, you can pull out the graphics card and get a replacement, or swap in a substitute to keep running while you RMA/return the bricked card.

If you blow a CPU, you can pop it out of the socket, and plop in a replacement. Hardly any bother. 🙂

When you brick a GPU/CPU on a laptop you have to send the whole laptop in for RMA, and you are completely out of service until it returns. And it costs a lot to scrap a motherboard with a bad CPU or a MXM card with a bad GPU.

I wouldn't expect Asus or another maker to support OC'ing the GPU/CPU on a laptop to the extreme, outside the fence put in by Nvidia/Intel, it is just too costly.

Some people tried to OC the 780m doing what you said, and it folded back performance in other ways even though they got the GPU clock over +135. There are likely a number of safe guards put in so some cleaver person doesn't find a way to brick hundreds of laptops with performance tweaks 🙂

The performance tweaks we get with Intel XTU and Asus / MSI / EVGA for GPU's are all pretty darned safe, and often helpful to find borderline GPU's that aren't really all that stable even at normal settings.

How much of a % / FPS boost did you get with the GPU OC?

Hmscott, yeah I know what you mean man... I never did any mods on the vbios to my old GTX 660m though, I only used the forcing PStates methods. As long as you do it little by little checking the limits, you are good. For my 660m I tested it until the limit, then used 90% of that limit as a daily clock for now 2 years of ownership, and still running fine (original clock at 950, with the OC I used it at 1190, which is about 25%-surprisingly good for a laptop).

As for this one, I don't plan on doing anything like it for a very long while. For now I'm sticking to the 135+ which totals to 1172. (which is like 15-16% over stock 970m clock), and that's more than necessary. This thing is eating everything I throw at it. I'm playing AC Unity maxed out with just AA down to FXAA, and before OC I would get 33-40 FPS. With the OC I get constant 40s and sometimes even 50s. Keep in mind the actual 970 is running the same settings with an average of 55 fps (according to a youtube video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p0TRXLTbVYw). Given how poorly the game is said to be optimized, like Nvidia claims, the 900m series is unbelievably closer to its desktop counterpart than ever before.

That is just what I had time to test for now. I'll be doing more tests with better optimized material later ;D.

Hey hulk, have you tried to OC the memory yet? I have a Jt and have been playing x plane 10 on med-high settings. Im getting my feet wet with PC gaming on this thing playing XP10 and I'm stoked except for the occaisional stutter. It's driving me nuts. I don't understand it either because gpu tweak (thanks hmscott) says its only using 60% of the gpu. Cpu spiked to 33% but thats it. I was thinking maybe Ill try to OC to fix it. I don't know much about PC's but if its only using 60% of the GPU doesn't that mean the problem is somewhere else? CPU hyperthreading issue maybe? Im lost hahaha.

Either way I'm glad to see somebody posting up their results. Sounds like theres plenty of power to go around for future years!

fabrimacator21 wrote:
Hey hulk, have you tried to OC the memory yet? I have a Jt and have been playing x plane 10 on med-high settings. Im getting my feet wet with PC gaming on this thing playing XP10 and I'm stoked except for the occaisional stutter. It's driving me nuts. I don't understand it either because gpu tweak (thanks hmscott) says its only using 60% of the gpu. Cpu spiked to 33% but thats it. I was thinking maybe Ill try to OC to fix it. I don't know much about PC's but if its only using 60% of the GPU doesn't that mean the problem is somewhere else? CPU hyperthreading issue maybe? Im lost hahaha.
Either way I'm glad to see somebody posting up their results. Sounds like theres plenty of power to go around for future years!

fabrimacator21, it you loaded the game on a spinning HDD rather than an SSD, there will be HDD head parking and spin down which will need to be reversed mid game when it loads additional resources - the disk needs to activate, spin up, and seek to the data - long enough to glitch the game.

It's HDD APM, and can be disabled with various tools, the easiest to use is quiethdd focused on management of APM/AAM.

G751 2 TB HD stopps spinning
https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?55598-G751-2-TB-HD-stopps-spinning&p=462053&viewfull=1#pos...

If that doesn't fix it for you, come back and we can take a look at what else it might be 🙂