cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Blu Ray driver issue

Retired
Not applicable
Hey everyone 🙂

Been having some problems with my G53SW's BD ROM.

Today, i tried to install some old games.

So, i just popped the CD in, and waited for it to load.
Guess what? It didn't. I noticed the green light (located on the drive) was green for the first 3-4 seconds, but quickly turned off and the drive simply refused to read anything. Gives me the error that there is no CD in the drive if I try to access it.
Funny thing, the ONLY CD that the drive would recognize is Asus's Driver and Utility CD. Which wasn't very helpful btw, as I have no idea what make/model my drive is.
Worst part, all the cd drivers in the utilities cd are "not compatible with this version of windows". It's Win7, 64-bit btw.

Anyway, the obvious solution to this would be to try to reinstall the driver.
But, this is where I'm abit stuck :P.

As usual with driver issues, I tried Speccy and Windows Device Manager to get my BD ROM's model. Guess what?, instead of the usual BD ROM I was expecting to see. It was being detected as a CD ROM. Device Manager lists the installed driver as the standard Microsoft CD ROM driver. Trying to update through the windows driver update gives me the usual 'your drivers are up to date'....

Yeah, I'm am absolutely sure My drive is a BD ROM, and the currently installed driver is definitely NOT the correct driver :(.

Absolutely sure I've seen it labelled differently a while ago...
It was even working about a couple of weeks back...
Not quite sure how that would happen but anyway....

Would be GREAT if someone could point me to my drive's model so I can locate the driver. Speccy and Device Manager all list it as a CD-ROM drive. No manufacturer or model is listed. I tried looking everywhere 😞 Tried other 3rd party programs too to look for my model. With no luck.
I don't even think Microsoft has released some generic BD-ROM driver, tho I could be wrong.

Ah before I forget, the exact model of my G53 is... G53SW-FHD-SZ010V
In case anyone here is familiar with all the variations from Asus.. then you could just shout out it's model :), and I'll hunt for the driver... or you can link me to it 😛

Help? Thanks in advance!
Really wanted to play Company of Heroes again 🙂
6 REPLIES 6

BrodyBoy
Level 10
Hmmm...I believe they do, in fact, just use a Microsoft driver. Mine does, anyway. I have two different Asus laptops with BD-ROM drives, and they both just use the generic MS driver and show up like this in Device Manager:

The specific hardware model may be different from yours, but like CD drives, I'm pretty sure these things just have a generic, universal interface with the computer.

Retired
Not applicable

Oh, thanks for that =p, I'll look into the slimdrive.. just 'maybe'... or something 😜
Um, as you can see, mine shows itself as a CD drive.. not the usual BD...

Retired
Not applicable
Oh silly me 😜

Kinda forgot that window's auto-installs the correct driver if you uninstall the device and restart the OS.

Yeah, so for those out there.
Device Manager -> Uninstall Device -> Restart -> Fixed

Don't know how I missed trying that in the first place XD

BrodyBoy
Level 10
We're all just livin' and learnin'! 🙂

Glad you got it working.....

I tried re-installing the drive but the problem seems to exist! I have found that DVD-R's are the ones which has the problem in reading, CDs work fine! Any solution for this... There is no hardware problem since other CDs work fine! Damn, I just can't install Skyrim coz of this prob! Need a solution asap! Thanks 😞

Ichigo wrote:
I tried re-installing the drive but the problem seems to exist! I have found that DVD-R's are the ones which has the problem in reading, CDs work fine! Any solution for this... There is no hardware problem since other CDs work fine! Damn, I just can't install Skyrim coz of this prob! Need a solution asap! Thanks 😞

Did you try a lens cleaner disc? I had problems reading blu-ray & dvd, but not CD. After running the lens cleaner it worked like a charm. Also, one can have weird problems with the readers. My PS2 stopped reading retail discs and just read the games I burned myself (after it hit the floor).