cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Installing SSD with Windows HP 64 on an ASUS G74SX XN1

WhirledNews
Level 7
I recently purchased an ASUS G74SX XN1 and it is up and running smoothly right now, but one of the reasons why I purchased this model is because of the empty drive slot that I can put the SSD from my desktop in. I have Windows Home Premium 64 Bit installed on the SSD already, is there any way that I can just plop in the SSD, set the BIOS, load drivers and be ok? I hope it is that easy but it really never is, does anyone know if Windows would even allow that or if I will have to reinstall clean? What is the best route to go when trying to get this computer running from a new drive?

Thanks in advance!
G74SX
-Intel X25-M 80 GB Mainstream SATA II SSD
-Intel Centrino Ultimate-N 6300
14 REPLIES 14

BrodyBoy
Level 10
WhirledNews wrote:
I recently purchased an ASUS G74SX XN1 and it is up and running smoothly right now, but one of the reasons why I purchased this model is because of the empty drive slot that I can put the SSD from my desktop in. I have Windows Home Premium 64 Bit installed on the SSD already, is there any way that I can just plop in the SSD, set the BIOS, load drivers and be ok? I hope it is that easy but it really never is, does anyone know if Windows would even allow that or if I will have to reinstall clean? What is the best route to go when trying to get this computer running from a new drive?

Thanks in advance!

No, just moving the SSD is not an option. Windows isn't "transferable" like that. You must install a fresh copy of Windows, or transfer the WIndows installation that's already on the Asus.

WhirledNews
Level 7
Yeah I figured that would probably be the case. I have created a disk with the Windows 7 Home Premium 64-Bit ISO file on it, I am just worried about the product key. Will it still be valid and work once I reinstall windows on the SSD? Like I said, I have already got the laptop up and runnning and updated Windows on it, I hope that will not affect anything, thanks for the reply.
G74SX

Yes, you can still use your Asus Product key with the new installation. (You may need to go through the automated phone activation system.)

The OEM Windows Product Key that you paid for with your laptop can always be used for a Home Premium installation on THAT machine. It can't be transferred to Windows on any other machine, and it can't be used for any other version of Windows on your G74.

WhirledNews wrote:
Yeah I figured that would probably be the case. I have created a disk with the Windows 7 Home Premium 64-Bit ISO file on it, I am just worried about the product key. Will it still be valid and work once I reinstall windows on the SSD? Like I said, I have already got the laptop up and runnning and updated Windows on it, I hope that will not affect anything, thanks for the reply.

Try this. It worked for me. Use the bottom link (beta)
http://directedge.us/content/abr-activation-backup-and-restore
Asus G74SX-DH73-3D, Intel® Core™ i7-2670QM, Windows® 7 Home Premium, 64-bit - 14gb of RAM,
Clean install on 128gb Crucial M4 SSD + 750gb WD 7200 rpm HDD for storage,
Blu-ray™ ROM/DVD±RW combo drive, 3 GB (dedicated) NVIDIA GeForce® GTX 560M graphics, driver v. 285.62, 3D Capable.
BIOS ver 203

ricksaint wrote:
Try this. It worked for me. Use the bottom link (beta)
http://directedge.us/content/abr-activation-backup-and-restore

Ooo, a useful toy! Tnx!
Read the User's Manual for more info. 😄

G74SX-A1 BIOS 203
Intel 6230 WiFi/BT
LG E2350 LED LCD Monitor
Intel Series 510 120 GB SSD

Drivers, Apps and How To's
Latest nVidia Drivers

JRd1st on DeviantArt.com

JRd1st wrote:
Ooo, a useful toy! Tnx!

It really is. I do a lot of Windows clean installs and re-installs.....and it really makes that part easy.

BTW, I have another G74 coming today! So here we go again! (I plan to use DPC as I go through the clean install, and really try to figure out how/why that Intel WLAN driver is causing hiccups....)

BrodyBoy wrote:

BTW, I have another G74 coming today! So here we go again! (I plan to use DPC as I go through the clean install, and really try to figure out how/why that Intel WLAN driver is causing hiccups....)

Good luck Bro!

My Intel wlan driver is showing a spike every 30 seconds, whether the radio is on or off. Only way to stop it is to disable the driver. I don't notice ANY ill effects, though, so I'm not going to obcess over it.
Read the User's Manual for more info. 😄

G74SX-A1 BIOS 203
Intel 6230 WiFi/BT
LG E2350 LED LCD Monitor
Intel Series 510 120 GB SSD

Drivers, Apps and How To's
Latest nVidia Drivers

JRd1st on DeviantArt.com

BrodyBoy
Level 10
I use ABR too....very handy!

But new users should also be aware that they can just re-use the Product Key (manually) and that it's legal and it works.

WhirledNews
Level 7
Ok, now I am a bit confused. BrodyBoy when you are doing these clean installs what CD are you using, I read on the ABR website that you need to have the SP1 disc if that is what was previously installed. Also, why use ABR if you can just write the product ID down when you look in system properties and type it in when installing, or do you have to call Microsoft for that?
G74SX