cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HDMI is Multimedia (only?)

Zip1
Level 7
Can someone clarify the limitations of a (HDMI) multimedia output vs. a monitor output?
Is this to say the desktop can not be extended to the HDMI output port?
What controls the output to the Multimedia output?

From closed thread: http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?53575-G751-and-second-monitor-issue

"OK, turns out the G751 has 2 monitor outputs, 1 VGA and 1 Thunderbolt or mini display.
The HDMI is not a monitor output, but a multimedia for a TV."

Quote from:
http://rog.asus.com/371412014/g-series-gaming-laptops/asus-rog-announces-g751-gaming-laptop-with-gtx...

"Up to three additional displays can be simultaneously plugged in via the HDMI 1.4, DisplayPort 1.2 and d-sub (VGA) ports on all models."
7 REPLIES 7

Pio_Kildare
Level 7
I could not get my monitor to work on the HDMI port, but fine on the VGA port.

If you figure out how to use the HDMI for a monitor, I would like to know how also.

hmscott
Level 12
That's strange, who closed that thread? It wasn't me 🙂

I find it strange to think the G751 HDMI doesn't work for a monitor output, that would be a big design boo boo.

The G751 would be the first ROG G series laptop without a working monitor hookup through HDMI.

Has anyone else tried to use the G751 HDMI output to drive an extermal monitor?

I just got (11/02/2014) a G751JY-DH71 and I was able to use the HDMI to connect it to an LG 1080p monitor. It seemed to work fine. However, I have been trying for a few hours to connect via HDMI to my INSIGNIA TV and my one year old EPSON 1080p projector. I get a black screen on the TV and no signal on the Projector. It is pretty disappointing. When connecting the same HDMI to my roku and iPad HDMI adapter, the projector sees them both. I have checked the device manager and I have no yellow warnings.

bobbymcq11
Level 7
Not yet, but soon. I'll be dissapointed if it doesn't work.

Slavictoire
Level 7
Hi everyone, I've just bought a G751JT-CH71, and I'm disapointed that the HDMI doesn't work. I tried to hook it up in a Toshiba TV to watch netflix on it but doesn't seems to work at all. When I check the settings, for some reason it's able to detect the TV called "Toshiba-tv" but nothing appears.

So tomorrow I'll try to hook it up to a 23" AOC monitors that I got in Staples. I'll try it with HDMI too...

This is annoying and disapointing...

Try another cable. I checked three, worked on the fourth

ARX7Arbalest
Level 7
The HDMI works fine on my G751JT connected to a Toshiba TV. Weird though that when I plugged it in, Windows installed(?) the TV. Then in the Playback Devices one of the NVIDIA ports became TOSHIBA TV.