cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Random mouse/keyboard disconnect

MD_Zoidberg
Level 7
Hi,

I have the Rampage V extreme with a 5960X cpu. Over the last months i've been trying to troubleshoot random mouse disconnects (Razer Naga). Seems like the usb hub disconnects and reconnects at random time (usually at the worst possible time, like during online gaming). I've tried various usb ports, even the usb 2.0 ones. Both intel and asmedia usb ports are enabled.

I bought a new mouse (Naga Hex) as a desperate attempt. Well, my mouse seems to work, then my keyboard (Razer blackwidow 2013) started disconnecting at random times. Have to unplug and replug. Same goes for my Astro A50 headset, which in addition to optical in uses a virtual usb sound card for things like voice com etc.

I understand there have been some issues with the USB on this motherboard. Is there any temporary solutions to this problem while i wait?

Kind regards,
Zoidberg.
13 REPLIES 13

Chino
Level 15
Try disabling the option that lets Windows turn off your USB ports when not in used. And if that doesn't work, disable xHCI in the BIOS.

That was the first thing i tried. I've already disabled that for all usb root hubs as well as in the overall setting in the power saving scheme. I'll give the xHCL a try when i get back home on Monday.

Thanks,
Zoidberg

LiveOrDie
Level 11
Changing USB ports fixed that problem for me also if you installed any asmedia USB drivers uninstall them.

Avenger411
Level 10
^^ what he said. Asmedia drivers caused my headset to fail everytime i would use my mic. Intel drivers are fine somehow... always rely on intel 😄
Cpu : Intel 5930K@4.25ghz@1.2v / Cache @4.25ghz@1.20v
Cpu Cooler : Corsair H100i
Case : Corsair 780T
Memory : G.Skills 32GB DDR4-3200mhz CAS 15-15-15-35-1T@1.370v
Motherboard : Asus Rampage V Extreme (BIOS 3504)
M2 : Samsung 950 Pro NVME 512gb (Gaming)
M2 : SSD1 : OCZ RD400A 128gb (windows)
SSD1 : Crucial MX100 512gb (data)
Gfx : EVGA Titan X w/ 980 Hybrid Cooling AiO Liquid Cooler
PSU : Antec HCP-1000W
Monitor : Asus RoG Swift

Uninstalled AsMedia drivers as well as move my peripherals from the asmedia usb slots to the other available slots. Didnt work. Although my mouse and keaboard seemed fine, my headset would disconnect on reconnect.

On the upside it didnt crash the Teamspeak software anymore though.

Anyway - i proceeded to disable xHCl and now everything works like a charm. Just played 6 games of LoL without issues, whereas previous i would've had ~2 keyboard and/or mouse disconnects/reconnects per game. I deem it working now!

Thanks, all.

Bonus question: Do i have usb 3.0 speed now with xHCI disabled, or am i limited to usb 2.0?

MD Zoidberg wrote:
Bonus question: Do i have usb 3.0 speed now with xHCI disabled, or am i limited to usb 2.0?

Hello

No. USB ports will now be 2.0. This fix works when the attached components need updated firmware.

Try using the ports I have circled the other ports for me have disconnect problems. Sorry for the bad phone edit lol.

Praz wrote:
Hello

No. USB ports will now be 2.0. This fix works when the attached components need updated firmware.

If that was the case all ports would carry the same problem which they don't.

Praz
Level 13
Hello

Not true.

LiveOrDie
Level 11
Hello.

Is true there all asmedia and all run off the same usb controller . Stop covering Asus for there problems.