Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    ROG Member Array

ASUS ROG G751 Series G751JT-CH71 Hard drive Upgrade question

I have a ASUS ROG G751 Series G751JT-CH71 on order and it should arrive tomorrow. I looked through the forms on updating the HDDs. The one I ordered is from New Egg and has the 1TB HDD. I'd like to use that as my data storage and install an SSD as my OS drive. From the forums I read that the G751 comes in 2 flavors of SSD SATA and PCI-E.

With the one I ordered am I able to install a M.2 PCI-E SSD as my OS HDD and use the 1TB SATA drive (which comes with it) as my D: drive?

I'm a little confused about this quote: "Please purchase a model with “SSD PCIE” listed, otherwise the M.2 bracket cannot be provided for after-sales upgrades sorry." As this is not listed anywhere in the specs when you purchase it.

I have to admit the wording leaves me unclear as to what they are trying to say. What is the M.2 bracket? Can it be purchased as an after market item? Is it used to run multiple PCI-E HDDs? Or is it needed to just run 1 like I want to? With the version I bought, can I only run SATA HDDs?

Confused...

Flex

I contacted New Egg and they don't know and charge a 25% restocking fee if you open the box to find out.
    Last edited by FlexBravo; 11-14-2014 at 04:32 AM.

New ROGer Array

Bought g751 with the 1tb drive in it... second bay is empty with a bracket put a Samsung EVO 840 250gig in it... used the software to copy the drive... swapped the bays. BIOS is to smart and still boots from the 1TB... Changed that... when booting off the SSD using the desktop if i have a window open the desktop basically refreshes and closes what i'm doing... while i'm doing stuff... trying to figure that problem out now... There are two brackets for 2 hard drive install in the laptop and 4 extra screw in the box to use in those brackets.

Trying windows image to copy the HD to the SSD now...
    Last edited by TheLoad; 11-15-2014 at 05:30 PM.

ROG Member Array

In the second bay, is there a connection for an M.2 PCI-E as well as the SATA you in you installed. Meaning you could do a SATA or M.2 SSD?

ROG Enthusiast Array

In the primary HDD bay there's a M.2 connection and SATA connection.. however the CH71 model does not come with the bracket you need to support the M.2 if you were so to choose to put one in. The CH72 Model comes with a M.2 SSD and the bracket to support it... This is what NewEgg is referring to. I'm not sure if these brackets can be purchased yet.. possible they will be available at the ASUS Store.

ROG Guru: Platinum Belt Array hmscott PC Specs
    hmscott PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)Asus G750JH-DB71 (legacy)
    MotherboardAsus G750JH Intel HM87
    ProcessorIntel i7-4700HQ XTU Cores 36x/35x/34x/34x Cache 36x -50mV undervolt
    Memory (part number)Hyundai Electronics HMT41GS6AFR8A-PB 1.35v DDR3L-1600MHz
    Graphics Card #1Nvidia 780m Asus GPU Tweak OC 932mhz/6300mhz
    Sound CardRealtek v6.0.1.7469 driver
    MonitorAUO B173HW02 V1 Custom Refresh 85hz
    Storage #1RAID0 2x M.2 SATA Crucial MX200 512GB CT500MX200SSD6
    Storage #2Crucial 512GB 2.5" MX200 CT500MX200SSD1
    Power Supply230w AC Power Adapter 19.5v
    Keyboard Logitech k400 Wireless KB/Trackpad
    Headset Sony MDR-XB500 Wired and Sennheiser RS-220 Wireless TOSLINK
    OS Windows 8.1 + 8 Linux VM's + Windows 10 Technical Preview
    Network RouterAsus RT-AC68U DLINK DIR-655

Quote Originally Posted by TheLoad View Post
    ...Trying windows image to copy the HD to the SSD now...
    TheLoad, Macrium reflect has worked well for cloning from HDD to SSD for the G750/G751, and the free version works great. You can also resize the destination partitions to fit - like when moving from a 1TB boot to a smaller SSD (256GB or larger recommended).

You can also basck up the recovery partition and make a bootable USB 3.0 16GB recovery flash drive with Asus Backtracker.

Be sure and remove any USB drives besides the 16GB USB 3.0 flash drive your are using to create the recovery drive.

And when doing restore, remove the 2nd bay drive - especially the original HDD - physically from the laptop before doing the restore to the new SSD, the restore software blows away the partitions on both drives it finds in the laptop before starting the restore!!

Some USB drives are incompatible, and will fail on restore - so don't reuse/erase your original HDD until you are completely done with a successful restore - otherwise you are high and dry without recourse other than returning to seller or RMA to Asus to restore the OS.

I used the Macrium Reflect cloning the first few times, now I use the Asus Backtracker restore.

Macrium Reflect Free
    http://www.macrium.com/reflectfree.aspx

Please come back and let us know how it works out

hmscott PC Specs

Quote Originally Posted by FlexBravo View Post
    I have a ASUS ROG G751 Series G751JT-CH71 on order and it should arrive tomorrow. I looked through the forms on updating the HDDs. The one I ordered is from New Egg and has the 1TB HDD. I'd like to use that as my data storage and install an SSD as my OS drive. From the forums I read that the G751 comes in 2 flavors of SSD SATA and PCI-E.

With the one I ordered am I able to install a M.2 PCI-E SSD as my OS HDD and use the 1TB SATA drive (which comes with it) as my D: drive?

I'm a little confused about this quote: "Please purchase a model with “SSD PCIE” listed, otherwise the M.2 bracket cannot be provided for after-sales upgrades sorry." As this is not listed anywhere in the specs when you purchase it.

I have to admit the wording leaves me unclear as to what they are trying to say. What is the M.2 bracket? Can it be purchased as an after market item? Is it used to run multiple PCI-E HDDs? Or is it needed to just run 1 like I want to? With the version I bought, can I only run SATA HDDs?

Confused...

Flex

I contacted New Egg and they don't know and charge a 25% restocking fee if you open the box to find out.
    FlexBravo, Asus isn't providing an M.2 PCIE bracket in the models they don't ship with a M.2 PCIE SSD. They instead place a 2.5" caddy / HDD/SSD in Bay 1, and provide an empty 2.5" Caddy for Bay 2.

Asus wasn't ready to sell a bracket, or provide one outside the models that come with an M.2 PCIE SSD. I don't know if that will change.

I think it isn't difficult to find some foam to wrap the M.2 PCIE to compress against the access cover and the chassis to keep it secure. Plenty of people have mentioned doing something like that to affix it for now.

Asus wasn't providing the 2nd Bay 2.5" Caddy early on in the G-series, so I used thin strips of foam to compress between the bay wall and the access cover to secure the 2.5" drive.

In that case I had to be careful not to completely cover the HDD so as to not trap in heat - I don't think the M.2 PCIE SSD is generating much heat - but check that out too, and let us know.

I would wait to get a M.2 PCIE SSD for now anyway. There are several mfgr's that have announced new M.2 PCIE SSD's up to 1TB, but they won't be out for a few months. I am waiting.

Let us know how it works out

ROG Member Array

Quote Originally Posted by TheLoad View Post
    second bay is empty with a bracket put a Samsung EVO 840 250gig in it
    Thanks, for confirming that G751JT-CH71already comes with a bracket for SATA SSD, in the empty slot.

Also, I would be curious to know how your effort went, in resolving your issue. Appreciate if you can then share it here, as I'm having the exact model, and trying to add the exact SSD. Thank you for your consideration on this matter.
    Last edited by SDEagle; 01-06-2015 at 02:03 AM.

Secondary Drive not a SATA 6 but 3??

Hi, I purchased the SSD Samsung 840 EVO 500gig and removed the 1TB HDD (secondary Drive of course). Only to find out that my SSD can not fully perform as the SATA port connected to is a 3Gb/s not 6Gb/s. Now what?? I can not connect to the primary SATA port as my 250 Gb 2m drive is in the way??? Any suggestions will be appreciated

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sata 3.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	136.8 KB 
ID:	45356

hmscott PC Specs

Quote Originally Posted by ELZZZORRO View Post
    Hi, I purchased the SSD Samsung 840 EVO 500gig and removed the 1TB HDD (secondary Drive of course). Only to find out that my SSD can not fully perform as the SATA port connected to is a 3Gb/s not 6Gb/s. Now what?? I can not connect to the primary SATA port as my 250 Gb 2m drive is in the way??? Any suggestions will be appreciated
    ELZZZORRO, it's a well known (now) feature of the G751, the 2nd bay is a SATA II connection. And, as you know the M.2 PCIE x4 SSD covers Bay 1 effectively blocking using the SATAIII port.

There are a couple of things you might try. I have posted them early, but so far noone has reported trying it

1) Get a M.2 PCIE x4 extension cable and put the M.2 PCIE x4 drive in the 2nd Bay, and then put your SATA III drive into Bay 1 - route the cable somehow...

2) Route a SATA III cable from Bay 1 to Bay 2, and use a 1.8" SSD, see link for suggested drives.

G751-JY sata connection question
    https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthrea...l=1#post462063

3) Use external drives on USB 3.0, but for right now the Microsoft USB 3.0 drivers aren't running at Superspeed, only at USB 2.0 Full Speed. There is a hack to install Intel USB 3.0 drivers from Windows 7, but it isn't working (so far, keep trying) on Windows 8.1 for the G751.

G751 - AC WLAN only at 7 MB per sec!?
    https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthrea...l=1#post464477

ELZZZORRO, you are the one that posted the link to installing the Windows 7 Intel USB 3.0 drivers on Windows 8/8.1, have you tried it yet?

Please let us know what you work out
    Last edited by hmscott; 01-10-2015 at 11:35 PM.

ROG Member Array

i have the samsung 480 evo 250 gig and im planing to restore it on my g751jt, i have tried and successfully restored using asus backtracker on a wd 500 gig hdd using my 16 gig usb, my question is does anybody done a successfull restore on an ssd i read on some old post here they are having issues depending on the usd the use, i also have a windows immage i made of 8.1 is it better to just do a clean install on the ssd? and would the burn image just recognize the cd key or do i need to input it manually? i read it also that its automatic but i havent tried it out for my self.
    thank you for the answer

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast