cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ASUS ROG G751 Series G751JT-CH71 Hard drive Upgrade question

FlexBravo
Level 7
I have a ASUS ROG G751 Series G751JT-CH71 on order and it should arrive tomorrow. I looked through the forms on updating the HDDs. The one I ordered is from New Egg and has the 1TB HDD. I'd like to use that as my data storage and install an SSD as my OS drive. From the forums I read that the G751 comes in 2 flavors of SSD SATA and PCI-E.

With the one I ordered am I able to install a M.2 PCI-E SSD as my OS HDD and use the 1TB SATA drive (which comes with it) as my 😧 drive?

I'm a little confused about this quote: "Please purchase a model with “SSD PCIE” listed, otherwise the M.2 bracket cannot be provided for aft..." As this is not listed anywhere in the specs when you purchase it.

I have to admit the wording leaves me unclear as to what they are trying to say. What is the M.2 bracket? Can it be purchased as an after market item? Is it used to run multiple PCI-E HDDs? Or is it needed to just run 1 like I want to? With the version I bought, can I only run SATA HDDs?

Confused...

Flex

I contacted New Egg and they don't know and charge a 25% restocking fee if you open the box to find out.
14 REPLIES 14

TheLoad
Level 7
Bought g751 with the 1tb drive in it... second bay is empty with a bracket put a Samsung EVO 840 250gig in it... used the software to copy the drive... swapped the bays. BIOS is to smart and still boots from the 1TB... Changed that... when booting off the SSD using the desktop if i have a window open the desktop basically refreshes and closes what i'm doing... while i'm doing stuff... trying to figure that problem out now... There are two brackets for 2 hard drive install in the laptop and 4 extra screw in the box to use in those brackets.

Trying windows image to copy the HD to the SSD now...

TheLoad wrote:
...Trying windows image to copy the HD to the SSD now...

TheLoad, Macrium reflect has worked well for cloning from HDD to SSD for the G750/G751, and the free version works great. You can also resize the destination partitions to fit - like when moving from a 1TB boot to a smaller SSD (256GB or larger recommended).

You can also basck up the recovery partition and make a bootable USB 3.0 16GB recovery flash drive with Asus Backtracker.

Be sure and remove any USB drives besides the 16GB USB 3.0 flash drive your are using to create the recovery drive.

And when doing restore, remove the 2nd bay drive - especially the original HDD - physically from the laptop before doing the restore to the new SSD, the restore software blows away the partitions on both drives it finds in the laptop before starting the restore!!

Some USB drives are incompatible, and will fail on restore - so don't reuse/erase your original HDD until you are completely done with a successful restore - otherwise you are high and dry without recourse other than returning to seller or RMA to Asus to restore the OS.

I used the Macrium Reflect cloning the first few times, now I use the Asus Backtracker restore.

Macrium Reflect Free
http://www.macrium.com/reflectfree.aspx

Please come back and let us know how it works out 🙂

TheLoad wrote:
second bay is empty with a bracket put a Samsung EVO 840 250gig in it

Thanks, for confirming that G751JT-CH71already comes with a bracket for SATA SSD, in the empty slot.

Also, I would be curious to know how your effort went, in resolving your issue. Appreciate if you can then share it here, as I'm having the exact model, and trying to add the exact SSD. Thank you for your consideration on this matter.

FlexBravo
Level 7
In the second bay, is there a connection for an M.2 PCI-E as well as the SATA you in you installed. Meaning you could do a SATA or M.2 SSD?

bookedirl
Level 7
In the primary HDD bay there's a M.2 connection and SATA connection.. however the CH71 model does not come with the bracket you need to support the M.2 if you were so to choose to put one in. The CH72 Model comes with a M.2 SSD and the bracket to support it... This is what NewEgg is referring to. I'm not sure if these brackets can be purchased yet.. possible they will be available at the ASUS Store.

hmscott
Level 12
FlexBravo wrote:
I have a ASUS ROG G751 Series G751JT-CH71 on order and it should arrive tomorrow. I looked through the forms on updating the HDDs. The one I ordered is from New Egg and has the 1TB HDD. I'd like to use that as my data storage and install an SSD as my OS drive. From the forums I read that the G751 comes in 2 flavors of SSD SATA and PCI-E.

With the one I ordered am I able to install a M.2 PCI-E SSD as my OS HDD and use the 1TB SATA drive (which comes with it) as my 😧 drive?

I'm a little confused about this quote: "Please purchase a model with “SSD PCIE” listed, otherwise the M.2 bracket cannot be provided for aft..." As this is not listed anywhere in the specs when you purchase it.

I have to admit the wording leaves me unclear as to what they are trying to say. What is the M.2 bracket? Can it be purchased as an after market item? Is it used to run multiple PCI-E HDDs? Or is it needed to just run 1 like I want to? With the version I bought, can I only run SATA HDDs?

Confused...

Flex

I contacted New Egg and they don't know and charge a 25% restocking fee if you open the box to find out.

FlexBravo, Asus isn't providing an M.2 PCIE bracket in the models they don't ship with a M.2 PCIE SSD. They instead place a 2.5" caddy / HDD/SSD in Bay 1, and provide an empty 2.5" Caddy for Bay 2.

Asus wasn't ready to sell a bracket, or provide one outside the models that come with an M.2 PCIE SSD. I don't know if that will change.

I think it isn't difficult to find some foam to wrap the M.2 PCIE to compress against the access cover and the chassis to keep it secure. Plenty of people have mentioned doing something like that to affix it for now.

Asus wasn't providing the 2nd Bay 2.5" Caddy early on in the G-series, so I used thin strips of foam to compress between the bay wall and the access cover to secure the 2.5" drive.

In that case I had to be careful not to completely cover the HDD so as to not trap in heat - I don't think the M.2 PCIE SSD is generating much heat - but check that out too, and let us know.

I would wait to get a M.2 PCIE SSD for now anyway. There are several mfgr's that have announced new M.2 PCIE SSD's up to 1TB, but they won't be out for a few months. I am waiting.

Let us know how it works out 🙂

ELZZZORRO
Level 7
Hi, I purchased the SSD Samsung 840 EVO 500gig and removed the 1TB HDD (secondary Drive of course). Only to find out that my SSD can not fully perform as the SATA port connected to is a 3Gb/s not 6Gb/s. Now what?? I can not connect to the primary SATA port as my 250 Gb 2m drive is in the way??? Any suggestions will be appreciated

ELZZZORRO wrote:
Hi, I purchased the SSD Samsung 840 EVO 500gig and removed the 1TB HDD (secondary Drive of course). Only to find out that my SSD can not fully perform as the SATA port connected to is a 3Gb/s not 6Gb/s. Now what?? I can not connect to the primary SATA port as my 250 Gb 2m drive is in the way??? Any suggestions will be appreciated

ELZZZORRO, it's a well known (now) feature of the G751, the 2nd bay is a SATA II connection. And, as you know the M.2 PCIE x4 SSD covers Bay 1 effectively blocking using the SATAIII port.

There are a couple of things you might try. I have posted them early, but so far noone has reported trying it 🙂

1) Get a M.2 PCIE x4 extension cable and put the M.2 PCIE x4 drive in the 2nd Bay, and then put your SATA III drive into Bay 1 - route the cable somehow...

2) Route a SATA III cable from Bay 1 to Bay 2, and use a 1.8" SSD, see link for suggested drives.

G751-JY sata connection question
https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?55610-G751-JY-sata-connection-question&p=462063&viewfull=1...

3) Use external drives on USB 3.0, but for right now the Microsoft USB 3.0 drivers aren't running at Superspeed, only at USB 2.0 Full Speed. There is a hack to install Intel USB 3.0 drivers from Windows 7, but it isn't working (so far, keep trying) on Windows 8.1 for the G751.

G751 - AC WLAN only at 7 MB per sec!?
https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?55158-G751-AC-WLAN-only-at-7-MB-per-sec!&p=464477&viewfull...

ELZZZORRO, you are the one that posted the link to installing the Windows 7 Intel USB 3.0 drivers on Windows 8/8.1, have you tried it yet?

Please let us know what you work out 🙂

do you understand how to get into your bios?

if yes. go into bios, and make sure your boot order is correct. you can also hit the esc key while it is in post, and it will give you the choice of boot order. which drive is the win 8 on? make that your first option for boot, and don't choose any second option for boot. that should get you going correctly.

if no, then when you are starting your computer, hit the f2 button continuously until you see settings menu. then use the arrow keys to get to the boot menu. the arrow keys will help you go down to change boot order. the rest you follow above. hope this helps.
CoolerMaster Maker 5T - ASUS CROSSHAIR VIII EXTREME - 65-inch UHD 4k SAMSUNG Q8FN - AMD Ryzen 9 5900X - NZXT Kraken X72 - 10 SIRIUS LOOP/NZXT RGB Case Fans W/ HUE+ - Gigabyte AORUS 1080 TI EXTREME - 64GB GSkill TRIDENTZ NEO 3600Mhz DDR4 - 3X XPG GAMMIX S70 2TB NVMe SSD'S- 2X CORSAIR FORCE MP600 NVMe SSD'S - WD BLUE 8TB HDD - Logitech wireless KRAFT advanced keyboard - Logitech M570 wireless trackball - Dual booting WIN 11