cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RE V x99 ThunderboltEX II/DUAL advice needed

killadaninja
Level 7
Hey all, well I guess it's that time to spend some money and bring my comp up to date, my questions are.

Is the the ThunderboltEX II/DUAL compatible with the RE V, I see the board has the thunderbolt header but the ThunderboltEX II/DUAL
is not listed as compatible on the Asus site, I imagine the answer is of coarse. What are the limitations of this expansion, if any, in comparison to onboard Thunderbolt?

I intend to pair my RE V with a 5930k, this is the logical choice if I have no need for the 5960x right?

Memory, I need 32GB, my rig is NOT for benchmarking so the fancy numbers are not relevant for me (wrong place uh lol) however I do usually run a slight OC, my rig is for pro audio. What is a good choice here without breaking the bank for something that does not really translate in to real world performance, I would like to go with ripsaws as it is what I have in my current rig and has been 100% reliable and stable, if this is still a good match for this new rig should I go with 2400MHZ or 2666MHZ?

Thank you for you're time!
I7 3930k C2 | Rampage IV Extreme | 32GB Ripjaws Z 2133MHZ 8X4GB | ENGTX560 Ti DCII TOP/2DI/1GD5 |Crucial M4 512GB | Corsair HX 1050 | Cooler Master Haf X | Corsair H100 | Win7 Pro x64 * Not a gamer.
1 REPLY 1

ConkersGrillfor
Level 9
I would say it works, at least the two Thunderbolt ports, plug it into a PCIe x4 (or higher) slot and connect the Thunderbolt header connection cable. There should be no performance limitations, expect at least a throughput of 10Gbps and at best 20Gbps 😉
On the models which are on the support list, they use the two DisplayPort IN ports to connect them to the I/O panel diplay outputs. I guess those will be useless on your RVE, because your CPU doesn't has an iGPU and therefore no display outputs on the I/O panel, maybe it would work when connecting them to the graphics card output, but it's unnecessary anyway.

The price and performance difference between a 32Gb 2400Mhz and 32Gb 2666Mhz kit is quite small, therefore go with the 2666Mhz kit and stick to the G.Skill ones, they have a good reputation and should work perfectly with a RVE. 😉
Desktop: Xigmatek Elysium | Rampage IV Extreme | i7-3960X | G.Skill 32Gb DDR3 2133Mhz|fastest Asus MarsII on the planet:cool: core 950Mhz| Kingston HyperX SSD 240Gb + 300Gb Intel 300series SSD + Velociraptor 600Gb + 3TB HDD | Enermax Maxrevo 1500W| 3xDell U2412m |
Laptop: Samsung 940X3G | i7-4500U | 8Gb RAM | 256Gb SSD | 13.3" 3200x1800 |