cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problems while using an R9 290x @ 100hz & 120hz (added video)

Soulcleaver
Level 7
Hello everyone,

just got my RoG Swift, which is amazing.

Anyway, i have a little problem.

I currently still use a Sapphire R9 290x with the RoG Swift monitor and encountered something odd when turning the refresh rate to 100hz and 120hz ( i leave out 144hz, since it is a known problem with flickering on AMD Cards (drivers?), which mine also has).

As soon as i try out 100hz or 120hz, the screen looks like it turns itself on and off (not fully, but the desktop keeps disappearing and reappearing at certain times, the red light on the stand does this also) (tried different drivers, even the newest beta release)

I knew about the 144hz trouble with AMD Cards, before i bought it of course. (and that it is more an Nvidia monitor, but i still wanted it :P)

Now i was wondering, if it is a problem with the monitor (turning it to a refresh rate below 100hz seems totally fine), or if this is also a problem with the AMD cards.

Yes, i am currently considering switching to a Nvidia card, but wanted to know if it really is a problem with the card/driver or the monitor before i jump in and buy a new card(s)

Edit: Added video showing what i mean

5 REPLIES 5

abvolt
Level 11
All of my monitors do that when I switch between 100,120,144hz also my r9 295x2 has no issues at 144hz not really sure what you mean..
Current: MSI Xpower Gaming Titanium | 7700K | G Skill Ripjaws V 3000 16Gb | 960 EVO 500Gb | Intel 730 480Gb | Seasonic 1000 Platinum |
NZXT X62 | Acer XB270HU | EVGA 1080 ti FTW3

Secondary: R4BE | 4930K | G.SKILL 2400 16GB | Corsair AX 1500i
Intel 730 240GB + 480GB | EVGA GTX780 ti sli kpe | Custom H20

Soulcleaver
Level 7
The thing i read about 144hz on some AMD cards, was that they have problems at that refresh rate (which mine also has, it's pretty much the whole screen flickering/static)

This is a non issue for me, but the problem i have in the video is. Of course when i switch the refresh rate, the desktop disappears and reappears once or maybe twice (which is normal), but check the video and look after 0:15, it keeps doing it and only stops when i set the refresh rate back to 85hz.

Today i tried it again, and it seems to have disappeared mostly (1 hour in, no problems so far). Maybe the monitor just needed some time. (restarted it a couple times yesterday, fully uninstalling drivers and reinstalling different ones which did not help)

So i pretty much wrote this thread a little bit too early 😕

haxxley
Level 7
its not the video card... I have exactly the same problem with my geforce 970 plus strange picture artifacts ... look at all the other problem threads, the're plenty of people with these major problems. mine's just brings "no signal" after some seconds/minutes of this endless on/off loop.... very disappointing.

haxxley wrote:
its not the video card... I have exactly the same problem with my geforce 970 plus strange picture artifacts ... look at all the other problem threads, the're plenty of people with these major problems. mine's just brings "no signal" after some seconds/minutes of this endless on/off loop.... very disappointing.

Interesting. The ''No Signal'' also happened to me once or twice.

The problem i had actually returned about 2 weeks ago, and i have been fighting with Asus and AMD support about it.

Asus just simply replied with: ''Wait for new AMD Drivers, or buy a NVIDIA Card'' Implying that the Monitor is not the problem.
AMD just gave me a different way of uninstalling and reinstalling the drivers, which did not fix the Issue.

I now have until the end of January to return the Monitor to Amazon.

I do like the ROG swift, but if i can only get 85hz, it is not worth it, when i can get 2x 1440p 60hz Monitors for almost the same price. (i do use dual monitors, that's why 2x)

The problem is, not knowing what the problem actually is, is it the AMD Drivers, the GPU or the Monitor.

So now i have 3 choices until the end of January.

Wait for new AMD Drivers, if that is the problem
Try a new NVIDIA Card (though i do not have anyone interested in buying a new GPU atm)
Or return the Monitor and get 2x 1440p 60hz Monitors for almost the same price. (since i can't get it beyond 85hz)

I would go ahead and try my luck with a second ROG Swift, but not knowing the problem, just makes it not worth the hassle (there are no artifacts, there is no blurring, there is no tearing and most problems there are on the Forums, just this 100hz,120hz and 144hz problem). I also keep reading the RMA process with Asus, so yeah..

For anyone finding this thread with google, I have a XFX reference 290x with a Rog Swift. Using the display port cable that was included with the monitor, I would get flickering/black screens above 85 Hz. Using this $10 cable, I am able to hit 120 Hz. 144 Hz still has massive flickering but I am happy at 120 Hz.

amazon.com/Premium-Displayport-Compatible-Projectors-Displays/dp/B00B2HOVRI

Edit: 6 foot version of the cable.