cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maximus Hero Vi... will not downclock while on desktop

Indo88
Level 7
Frustrating Friday night...

I am new to OC.. so this may be simple however I am beyond frustrated at this point and could really use some help.

Maximus Hero Vi, i5 4670k

I simply cannot get the voltage to lower when I am on my desktop. I have used adaptive and the voltage will fluctate, but always .002 near the target voltage I would want if I was gaming. When I game the voltage will go up (in adaptive) incrementally but not much, but it will only drop .002 when I return to my desktop.

I tried using offset, but it makes no sense to me when I am looking at it in the UEFI. Manual does what it is supposed to and stays static. I believe (and trust me I have tried many many different options) I was stable at 44ghz with 1.2v under a manual OC. But, obviously I cant continue to run it at that due to the "wear and tear" as I have read. Hence, why I am trying to get adaptive or offset to work for me.

I tried simply changing it on Vcore, I tried it on the Vcore cache, I tried it on both. This was with adaptive as my UEFI doesnt give me those options with offset. And while in the mode it will fluctate .002 between games and the desktop, it doesnt seem to be downclocking enough 1.28 when in game (Far Cry 3) and 1.26 on desktop.

For offset I tried changing the phase control and Vcore loadline because I read that it was to be changed with Maximus IV and V boards (I was going off a hunch). That did absolutely nothing as the IV and V UEFI show precentages and the VI (my board) shows 1-8.

I also jumped between XMP and Manual (no change). I went between Min and Max Cache (bus?) setting it to 42 and back to auto and again no change.

What am I missing guys. I did followed everything I could read/watch about this board and OC and I am not getting the same results. Do I have faulty board? I use HWmonitor and ROG CPUID.

PLEASE HELP!!
11 REPLIES 11

Indo88
Level 7

I followed this video to a T. And as JJ shows when he was on his desktop his voltages were low and it wasnt until he started using some program did his voltages and OC show in his monitoring program. My OC and Voltages are high right from the get-up...

Including when I reset everything back to stock.

Indo88
Level 7
I even took the Loadline off of extreme...

Indo88
Level 7
ok now i just tried stock frequency with offset mode @ .001 and it booted up with stock voltage (1.072)

Im lost guys

Indo88
Level 7
Still cant get it to downclock when its idle...

any suggestions would be helpful.

Tokens210
Level 10
Did you check to be sure windows power plan is on balanced?

Having the power plan on maximum will disable it from going back down

I personally am running the rig in my Sig with an adaptive voltage and windows power plan on balanced

Runs from 800MHz when not under load up to my over clock of 4.4-4.5GHz

Also ensure you only have 1 monitoring program installed

Even if there not running at once having more then 1 monitoring program installed is known to cause reading issues, also cpuid every couple builds seems to have issues reporting proper CPU voltages
CoolerMaster HAF 932 Advanced/ Maximus VI Formula/ I7-4770K/Swiftech H320/ Corsair HX850/ G.Skill Trident X (2x8) 16gb 2400MHz/ 2x 840 EVO 120gb(Raid 0)/ WD 1TB HDD (Backup/Storage)/ EVGA GTX 1gb 560 TI/ Asus 12x bluray combo

Ok I am going to try that.

I have CPUID HWMonitor and CPUID ROG CPU-Z. Do you recommend 1 over the other?

Tokens210
Level 10
Typically I personally would go for the one with the most info

I personally use realtemp and real bench when I'm testing things
CoolerMaster HAF 932 Advanced/ Maximus VI Formula/ I7-4770K/Swiftech H320/ Corsair HX850/ G.Skill Trident X (2x8) 16gb 2400MHz/ 2x 840 EVO 120gb(Raid 0)/ WD 1TB HDD (Backup/Storage)/ EVGA GTX 1gb 560 TI/ Asus 12x bluray combo

Tokens again I appreciate the help. I think I may go back and see where my wall is for OC again. The first time around I was issues (like mentioned in to OP), so maybe I can get some better clocks. This should be a fun night!

Indo88
Level 7
BROTHER TOKENS YOU ARE THE MAN!!!

You dont know how many hours i worked on that last night for it to be that simple fix. I knew it had to be something simple I was missing.

While I have you do you recommend offset or adaptive when I have already figured out my OC? And should I expect the frequency and voltage to bounce around when I first start up my computer?