Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 23
  1. #1
    ROG Enthusiast Array ricksaint's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Reputation
    11
    Posts
    66

    Keyboard problem with G74SX 3D

    After reading several posts here about keyboard problems, I downloaded and installed the ATK package, but it didn’t solve my problem.
    My problem seems to be different from what I have read here. Here it goes: As I am typing, the cursor jumps to a different spot on the page, or goes to the start menu, goes to a different page, selects part or the whole document, opens another window… anything can happen with the cursor. Bottom line, I can’t type anything. Very frustrating!
    What can I do?

  2. #2
    ROG Guru: Black Belt Array
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Reputation
    31
    Posts
    2,916

    Quote Originally Posted by ricksaint View Post
    After reading several posts here about keyboard problems, I downloaded and installed the ATK package, but it didn’t solve my problem.
    My problem seems to be different from what I have read here. Here it goes: As I am typing, the cursor jumps to a different spot on the page, or goes to the start menu, goes to a different page, selects part or the whole document, opens another window… anything can happen with the cursor. Bottom line, I can’t type anything. Very frustrating!
    What can I do?
    The first step is to go into the Sentelic settings. You need to checkmark the setting that disables the touchpad while typing, and increase the resume time. It's currently set at 0.5 secs...try going to 1.5.

    This isn't really a keyboard problem, but a touchpad problem. Hopefully, it's just the setting above causing your issue.

  3. #3
    ROG Enthusiast Array ricksaint's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Reputation
    11
    Posts
    66

    Quote Originally Posted by BrodyBoy View Post
    The first step is to go into the Sentelic settings.
    How do I get there?

  4. #4
    ROG Guru: Black Belt Array
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Reputation
    31
    Posts
    2,916

    • There's a mouse icon down in the notifications area on your taskbar. Double-click on it.
    • Go to the last tab, "Finger Sensing Pad" and click the "Configure" button
    • The Sentelic driver settings window opens. Expand the "Enable/Disable Pad" section of the index in the left column
    • Select & expand the "Typing Detection" section
    • Checkmark "Disable pad while typing" in the main window
    • Select the "Reactivation Time" section in the left column
    • Move the slider to 1.5sec

  5. #5
    ROG Enthusiast Array ricksaint's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Reputation
    11
    Posts
    66

    Quote Originally Posted by BrodyBoy View Post
    • There's a mouse icon down in the notifications area on your taskbar. Double-click on it.
    • Go to the last tab, "Finger Sensing Pad" and click the "Configure" button
    • The Sentelic driver settings window opens. Expand the "Enable/Disable Pad" section of the index in the left column
    • Select & expand the "Typing Detection" section
    • Checkmark "Disable pad while typing" in the main window
    • Select the "Reactivation Time" section in the left column
    • Move the slider to 1.5sec
    Thanks for your help Brodyboy

  6. #6
    ROG Guru: Gold Belt Array dstrakele's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Reputation
    89
    Posts
    4,437

    The latest Sentelic 9.1.7.7 driver (ftp://ftp.asus.com.tw/pub/ASUS/nb/Dr...7_64_Z9177.zip) has a feature called SmartSense. It disables the touchpad when typing, but rather than have a touchpad reactivation time, it reactivates the touchpad when a small circular area (that is configurable) on the touchpad is touched. This way, if you pause at the keyboard for several seconds, the touchpad will not have reactivated and it is less likely your palm will cause cursor movement or unwanted selections.
    G74SX-A1 - stock hardware - BIOS 202 - 2nd Monitor VISIO VF551XVT

  7. #7
    ROG Enthusiast Array ricksaint's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Reputation
    11
    Posts
    66

    Quote Originally Posted by dstrakele View Post
    The latest Sentelic 9.1.7.7 driver (ftp://ftp.asus.com.tw/pub/ASUS/nb/Dr...7_64_Z9177.zip) has a feature called SmartSense. It disables the touchpad when typing, but rather than have a touchpad reactivation time, it reactivates the touchpad when a small circular area (that is configurable) on the touchpad is touched. This way, if you pause at the keyboard for several seconds, the touchpad will not have reactivated and it is less likely your palm will cause cursor movement or unwanted selections.
    I just downloaded and installed this driver. However, when I try to configure it and click on "settings", I get the message: "The website cannot be displayed".

    How do you configure it?

  8. #8
    ROG Guru: Gold Belt Array dstrakele's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Reputation
    89
    Posts
    4,437

    Go to the "Finger Sensing Pad" tab of Mouse Properties and click on the "Configure" button.

    Select "ASUS SmartSense" to configure that feature.

    In what tab are you clicking on "Settings"?
    G74SX-A1 - stock hardware - BIOS 202 - 2nd Monitor VISIO VF551XVT

  9. #9
    ROG Enthusiast Array ricksaint's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Reputation
    11
    Posts
    66

    Quote Originally Posted by BrodyBoy View Post
    • There's a mouse icon down in the notifications area on your taskbar. Double-click on it.
    • Go to the last tab, "Finger Sensing Pad" and click the "Configure" button
    • The Sentelic driver settings window opens. Expand the "Enable/Disable Pad" section of the index in the left column
    • Select & expand the "Typing Detection" section
    • Checkmark "Disable pad while typing" in the main window
    • Select the "Reactivation Time" section in the left column
    • Move the slider to 1.5sec

    Quote Originally Posted by dstrakele View Post
    Go to the "Finger Sensing Pad" tab of Mouse Properties and click on the "Configure" button.

    Select "ASUS SmartSense" to configure that feature.

    In what tab are you clicking on "Settings"?
    I don't have the "Finger Sensing Pad" tab. Here is what I have:



    and in device manager:



    Do I need to install something else?

    So far I have installed:
    WLAN_Atheros_Win7_64_Z921432
    Touchpad_Sentelic_Win7_64_Z9177
    synaptics_Touchpad_15.3.22.0
    Asus G74SX-DH73-3D, Intel® Core™ i7-2670QM, Windows® 7 Home Premium, 64-bit - 14gb of RAM,
    Clean install on 128gb Crucial M4 SSD + 750gb WD 7200 rpm HDD for storage,
    Blu-ray™ ROM/DVD±RW combo drive, 3 GB (dedicated) NVIDIA GeForce® GTX 560M graphics, driver v. 285.62, 3D Capable.
    BIOS ver 203

  10. #10
    ROG Guru: Black Belt Array
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Reputation
    31
    Posts
    2,916

    Ooops! It looks like you have a Synaptics touchpad. I'm sorry I didn't even think to ask that....I keep forgetting that the G74 can have either Synaptics or Sentelic. Someone with the SYnaptics driver will need to help you find the settings, since I can't look at that myself.

    You should confirm which TP you actually have, and uninstall the other manufacturer's driver.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. G74SX - Keyboard Backlight without ATK?
    By ColdDestiny in forum ROG Gaming Notebooks
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 05-18-2015, 03:38 AM
  2. Keyboard Protection G74SX
    By Azzazel in forum ROG Gaming Notebooks
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 02-02-2012, 05:47 AM
  3. G74sx Problem with bios update 202 : backlight keyboard doesnt work anymore
    By arcsinusmaster in forum ROG Gaming Notebooks
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-10-2011, 08:46 PM
  4. please help asap keyboard problem
    By RoCP in forum ROG Gaming Notebooks
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-25-2011, 04:09 AM
  5. Insoluble problem with keyboard?
    By hiszpas in forum ROG Gaming Notebooks
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 04-26-2011, 06:40 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •