cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Keyboard problem with G74SX 3D

ricksaint
Level 8
After reading several posts here about keyboard problems, I downloaded and installed the ATK package, but it didn’t solve my problem.
My problem seems to be different from what I have read here. Here it goes: As I am typing, the cursor jumps to a different spot on the page, or goes to the start menu, goes to a different page, selects part or the whole document, opens another window… anything can happen with the cursor. Bottom line, I can’t type anything. Very frustrating!
What can I do?
Asus G74SX-DH73-3D, Intel® Core™ i7-2670QM, Windows® 7 Home Premium, 64-bit - 14gb of RAM,
Clean install on 128gb Crucial M4 SSD + 750gb WD 7200 rpm HDD for storage,
Blu-ray™ ROM/DVD±RW combo drive, 3 GB (dedicated) NVIDIA GeForce® GTX 560M graphics, driver v. 285.62, 3D Capable.
BIOS ver 203
22 REPLIES 22

BrodyBoy
Level 10
ricksaint wrote:
After reading several posts here about keyboard problems, I downloaded and installed the ATK package, but it didn’t solve my problem.
My problem seems to be different from what I have read here. Here it goes: As I am typing, the cursor jumps to a different spot on the page, or goes to the start menu, goes to a different page, selects part or the whole document, opens another window… anything can happen with the cursor. Bottom line, I can’t type anything. Very frustrating!
What can I do?

The first step is to go into the Sentelic settings. You need to checkmark the setting that disables the touchpad while typing, and increase the resume time. It's currently set at 0.5 secs...try going to 1.5.

This isn't really a keyboard problem, but a touchpad problem. Hopefully, it's just the setting above causing your issue.

BrodyBoy wrote:
The first step is to go into the Sentelic settings.

How do I get there?
Asus G74SX-DH73-3D, Intel® Core™ i7-2670QM, Windows® 7 Home Premium, 64-bit - 14gb of RAM,
Blu-ray™ ROM/DVD±RW combo drive, 3 GB (dedicated) NVIDIA GeForce® GTX 560M graphics, driver v. 285.62, 3D Capable.
BIOS ver 203

• There's a mouse icon down in the notifications area on your taskbar. Double-click on it.
  • Go to the last tab, "Finger Sensing Pad" and click the "Configure" button
  • The Sentelic driver settings window opens. Expand the "Enable/Disable Pad" section of the index in the left column
  • Select & expand the "Typing Detection" section
  • Checkmark "Disable pad while typing" in the main window
  • Select the "Reactivation Time" section in the left column
  • Move the slider to 1.5sec

BrodyBoy wrote:

• There's a mouse icon down in the notifications area on your taskbar. Double-click on it.
  • Go to the last tab, "Finger Sensing Pad" and click the "Configure" button
  • The Sentelic driver settings window opens. Expand the "Enable/Disable Pad" section of the index in the left column
  • Select & expand the "Typing Detection" section
  • Checkmark "Disable pad while typing" in the main window
  • Select the "Reactivation Time" section in the left column
  • Move the slider to 1.5sec

Thanks for your help Brodyboy
BIOS ver 203

That's just showing the installed driver, I think. Just to be certain, you can check the hardware ID under the Details tab.

BrodyBoy wrote:
That's just showing the installed driver, I think. Just to be certain, you can check the hardware ID under the Details tab.

You may have something there! The description says Synaptics but the hw ids says STLC141 which souds like Sentelic.
BIOS ver 203

You looked in Device Manager to confirm that it's Synaptics hardware?

BrodyBoy wrote:
You looked in Device Manager to confirm that it's Synaptics hardware?

Yep! they're Synaptics as per pics on the previous page.
BIOS ver 203

dstrakele
Level 14
The latest Sentelic 9.1.7.7 driver (ftp://ftp.asus.com.tw/pub/ASUS/nb/Drivers/Touchpad/Touchpad_Sentelic_Win7_64_Z9177.zip) has a feature called SmartSense. It disables the touchpad when typing, but rather than have a touchpad reactivation time, it reactivates the touchpad when a small circular area (that is configurable) on the touchpad is touched. This way, if you pause at the keyboard for several seconds, the touchpad will not have reactivated and it is less likely your palm will cause cursor movement or unwanted selections.
G74SX-A1 - stock hardware - BIOS 202 - 2nd Monitor VISIO VF551XVT