cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RMA'd board dead again? (code 76)

Gishan
Level 7
I have yet another problem with my RVE...

My system was working fine for about 2 months until now.
When I started the machine yesterday I got an error code 76 which I could resolve after half an hour by switching between bios 1 and 2 with a weird combination of RESET, CLRCMOS and RETRY. Can't remember exactly, but it worked after that. (system was running for about 7 hours and was then shut down completely)

Today I get the same code 76 but even after several hours tinkering around I can't resolve it...

codes & leds

• Q code 76
  • CPU led is red
  • 4th PCI-E led is blinking (1st is not on, 2&3 are)

build details

• 1st PCI-E = GPU1
  • 4th PCI-E = GPU2
  • all dimms filled with Corsair Platinum 2800MHz (32GB as a whole)
  • mostly running XMP 2800 (125 strap)
  • custom watercooling loop (1 loop; CPU and both GPUs)
  • CPU only slightly overclocked (multi 32 = 4000 MHz)
  • temps max at 50-55°C (fans running very quiet)

tried so far

• CLRCMOS
  • power down for half an hour
  • reflashed both BIOS to 0702, 0706, 0802
  • took out the CPU and checked for bent pins
  • took out all dimms and tried them one by one
  • turned off PCI-E lanes one by one
  • disconnected all devices (USB, DVI, Ethernet, even all internal cables like fans, audio, USV)
  • disconnected both GPUs and tried them one by one
  • checked power connectors (4pin, 8pin, 24pin)

Here's what happens at the different buttons (both BIOS):

• Startup -> code 76
  • RESET -> code 76
  • CLRCMOS + Startup -> code 76
  • RETRY -> code 00 -> automatic reboot -> code 76

rant
I begin to regret selling my RIVE which ran fine for 2,5 years. The RVE caused so much trouble I would switch back...
My first RVE was DOA and therefor had to be RMA'd. The second one worked fine until now - if I have to RMA it again I'll have to consider buying something else in the future... Can't be that you buy such a top component and run into so much trouble... I want a working system not one that I have to disassemble every other month!
CPU: 5930K @ 4.5 GHz, GPUs: 2x GTX Titan, Mobo: Rampage V Extreme, Ram: 32GB Dominator 2800
Sound: Essence STX & SP 2500, HDDs: 1x Samsung 830, 2x 840 Evo, PSU: Corsair AX860i, Case: 900D
Cooling: Full custom w/c loop (CPU, both GPUs), Build Log: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/14886-project-hermes-900d-titan-sli/
33 REPLIES 33

Chino
Level 15

No, the AX860i does not come with an 8 and 4 pin connector.
But it worked without it for 2 months and I didn't change anything.

Edit: Found an old 4pin cable and tried it together with the 8pin - still the same error 76.
CPU: 5930K @ 4.5 GHz, GPUs: 2x GTX Titan, Mobo: Rampage V Extreme, Ram: 32GB Dominator 2800
Sound: Essence STX & SP 2500, HDDs: 1x Samsung 830, 2x 840 Evo, PSU: Corsair AX860i, Case: 900D
Cooling: Full custom w/c loop (CPU, both GPUs), Build Log: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/14886-project-hermes-900d-titan-sli/

Chino wrote:
Apart from connecting the 24 pin and 8 pin, are you connecting the 4pin power cable as well?

Hi Chino , i did not connect 4 pin cable i dident know u should as in manual it says 8pin alone in 8 pin connector ,or 4pin in 8 pin connector or 4 pin in 4 pin . So in manual there is that picture showing 8 in 8 or 4 in 8 or 4 in 4 ,i did not connected aditional 4 pin becose it did not say in manual it is safe to do so ,is it safe and good for oc .

And to Gishan your power suply is to weak and to old as it seems u say u had it on your old rig that power suply life time is shortened 2-3 times as u were always running at ratet power ,its capacitors aged 3 times faster that way , my personal rule is always to have 200W more then your pc will draw , with your config i would have corsair ax1500i or lepa 1600w/new 1700w , 2 titan gtx , on x99 with 860w thats like over loading that psu big time .

1200w is minimal in your case ,i had old hx1000w corsair psu from my old build ,but i have got seasonic platinum 1000w ss1000xp for rampage 5 extreme build and thats with 1 grafic card u got 2 titans 🙂 , good powersuply is most important thing in any build .

funky29cro wrote:
Hi Chino , i did not connect 4 pin cable i dident know u should as in manual it says 8pin alone in 8 pin connector ,or 4pin in 8 pin connector or 4 pin in 4 pin . So in manual there is that picture showing 8 in 8 or 4 in 8 or 4 in 4 ,i did not connected aditional 4 pin becose it did not say in manual it is safe to do so ,is it safe and good for oc .

And to Gishan your power suply is to weak and to old as it seems u say u had it on your old rig that power suply life time is shortened 2-3 times as u were always running at ratet power ,its capacitors aged 3 times faster that way , my personal rule is always to have 200W more then your pc will draw , with your config i would have corsair ax1500i or lepa 1600w/new 1700w , 2 titan gtx , on x99 with 860w thats like over loading that psu big time .

1200w is minimal in your case ,i had old hx1000w corsair psu from my old build ,but i have got seasonic platinum 1000w ss1000xp for rampage 5 extreme build and thats with 1 grafic card u got 2 titans 🙂 , good powersuply is most important thing in any build .

The Seasonic Platinum 1000W is a very nice PSU. You couldn't have made a better choice. Regarding the 4 pin power connector, the Seasonic Platinum 1000W has that connector so I'd recommend you connect it.

Ok thank u for responding will connect it now , i thought i should but were afraid as in manual that picture clearly stated only one connector should be connected 🙂

Randolla
Level 7
Is there any way that you can try another PSU? My guess is that the board may not be getting enough power at times and this is causing your problem. It can also corrupt Windows which would necessitate a reinstall. Even though it worked for 2 months, power supplies degrade with age and you are really straining yours with everything you have running off of it.

Running 2 GPUs and 32 Gbs of RAM plus whatever else you have in your rig is taxing your PSU. I recommend something of at least 1000 watts, preferably 1200. I have the EVGA Supernova P 1200 and I love it so far. I have had bad luck with Corsair's HX1000 and AX 1200, needing three Rma's in 4 years. Even if it doesn't solve your problem, having a better PSU will help your stability with your other components. With everything you have spent with the top of the line components in your rig, I wouldn't skimp on the PSU.

The other thing I would try is if you have a UPS, try plugging directly into the wall socket. Or if you don't have a UPS, see if you can borrow one and test it with the UPS connected.

My guess is that a new, more powerful PSU and a Windows reinstall will solve your issue.

Good luck and keep us up to date.
5930K @4.5
ASUS Rampage 5 Extreme X99
16 Gbs Corsair Dominator 2666Mhz RAM
Two, EVGA Nvidia Titan X's in SLI
Samsung XP941 M2 512 Gb M2 boot drive
EVGA SuperNOVA P1200 PSU
Case Labs Merlin Full Tower
NZXT Kraken X61 AiO CPU cooler with four 140mm Noctura Industrial fans
Overlord Tempest O27X Monitor @ 118 Hz

I don't have another PSU around. I'll try to get one from work or a friend on monday.
A Windows reinstall is not an option as the board doesn't even post.

In my last build I was running an 3930K, 64GB and the same 2 GPUs.
Maximum power drawn while running benchmarks was around 600W, so 860W are more than enough for that.
(CPU not massively overclocked of course)

Whatever PSU you try, make sure that it is more powerful than the one you are currently using. I still think that a PSU of at least 1000 watts will serve you better than what you arte currently using.

Just my opinion.
5930K @4.5
ASUS Rampage 5 Extreme X99
16 Gbs Corsair Dominator 2666Mhz RAM
Two, EVGA Nvidia Titan X's in SLI
Samsung XP941 M2 512 Gb M2 boot drive
EVGA SuperNOVA P1200 PSU
Case Labs Merlin Full Tower
NZXT Kraken X61 AiO CPU cooler with four 140mm Noctura Industrial fans
Overlord Tempest O27X Monitor @ 118 Hz

I've got the chance to try a 1000W PSU but this didn't change anything.
Still got code 76.

Think I'll have to get a third board... I'm not sure if it will be another RVE though.
Any suggestions on what I should get? (X99 Deluxe or an other brand?)