cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G751 with three 2.5" drives: Caddies?

JJAP
Level 7
Hi. I'm ready to pull the trigger on a G751, but I want to make sure I can properly put three 2.5" drives in it. (I want this as a desktop replacement. One drive for storage, one for Windows gaming, one for Unix work).

Question, the first:
According to the sticky "notes" topic, the optical drive can be replaced with a 12.7mm hard drive caddy. Maybe I'm being paranoid, but essentially any generic 12.7mm caddy I find on amazon/newegg for $10-20 should work just fine? (For example, silverstone tek 12.7, 2.5" sata 3 caddy)

Question, the second:
I don't need the M.2 PCIe speed, and so I'd like to buy the 1TB model (CH71) and put a 2.5" in the M.2 PCIe/Sata 2.5" combo slot. We all know that this model won't come with the metal adapter for the M.2 card, but what about a caddy for using the Sata 2.5" slot? With the CH71 come with one? Can a buy one for myself? I'm Ok with just taping it down!

In summary: Will I run into any problems if I buy... the G751 CH71 with 1TB spinning; two 2.5" SSDs; a generic 12.7mm optical drive caddy for one those SSDs; electrical tape for the second 🙂
28 REPLIES 28

zwankh
Level 7
JJAP wrote:
Hi. I'm ready to pull the trigger on a G751, but I want to make sure I can properly put three 2.5" drives in it. (I want this as a desktop replacement. One drive for storage, one for Windows gaming, one for Unix work).

Question, the first:
According to the sticky "notes" topic, the optical drive can be replaced with a 12.7mm hard drive caddy. Maybe I'm being paranoid, but essentially any generic 12.7mm caddy I find on amazon/newegg for $10-20 should work just fine? (For example, silverstone tek 12.7, 2.5" sata 3 caddy)

Question, the second:
I don't need the M.2 PCIe speed, and so I'd like to buy the 1TB model (CH71) and put a 2.5" in the M.2 PCIe/Sata 2.5" combo slot. We all know that this model won't come with the metal adapter for the M.2 card, but what about a caddy for using the Sata 2.5" slot? With the CH71 come with one? Can a buy one for myself? I'm Ok with just taping it down!

In summary: Will I run into any problems if I buy... the G751 CH71 with 1TB spinning; two 2.5" SSDs; a generic 12.7mm optical drive caddy for one those SSDs; electrical tape for the second 🙂

Actually, most of the hard drive caddy you can buy on amazon does not fit the G751, which I found out after I uninstalled the old caddy drive on my G75. The new one is much thinner(Which is silly).

Can you confirm the caddy size? Is it 12.7mm or 9.5mm?

mavrik
Level 7
So then are we supposed to use a 2.5 hdd in the left bay without a bracket (caddy) ? I don't imagine that would be safe!

mavrik wrote:
So then are we supposed to use a 2.5 hdd in the left bay without a bracket (caddy) ? I don't imagine that would be safe!

I assume that was a rhetorical question.

No I'm really asking. If what @zwankh claims is the case then how are we supposed to use a regular 2.5 inch hdd in the left bay? Scotch tape?

mavrik wrote:
No I'm really asking. If what @zwankh claims is the case then how are we supposed to use a regular 2.5 inch hdd in the left bay? Scotch tape?

Without a caddy, you can't, at least not without having the skill to make a comparable secure DIY solution. Hence why I assumed it was a rhetorical question.

Wait. This can't be right: If you buy the 1 drive version, not only do they not give you the metal support piece for the M.2 drive, they don't give you a necessary caddy for a second 2.5"?

toronto699
Level 13
http://www.hidevolution.com/asus-g751jy-dh72x-i7-4860hq-4gb-nvidia-gtx-980m-17-3.html
this is where I bought my G751 with 3 HDs plus I kept the optical drive in case I wanted to use it , maybe they can help u out