cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

First ROG laptop GL551JM-DH71, Questions.

Zjones1994
Level 7
So I just purchased my first gaming laptop, a ROG GL551JM-DH71. I got it with the intent of using it for solidworks, gaming and general use. I'm currently in the US Navy so I chose a 15.6 laptop for portability. I was wondering if I could hear some feedback from owners on issues or good things. I bought it, a 256gb SSD, and an adapter to replace the optical drive with the 1TB that's in the main slot now and then put the SSD in that slot. I've seen the upgrade guide on this site so that's a lot of help. What can I expect in the area of gaming (skyrim, BL2, HL2, CS:GO, CS:S, TS3/4 and WOW). I know none of those are huge graphically strenuous games (except Skyrim om higher settings). Finally what are some recommended upgrades or accessories to go with the laptop. Thanks in advance.
14 REPLIES 14

hmscott
Level 12
Zjones1994 wrote:
So I just purchased my first gaming laptop, a ROG GL551JM-DH71. I got it with the intent of using it for solidworks, gaming and general use. I'm currently in the US Navy so I chose a 15.6 laptop for portability. I was wondering if I could hear some feedback from owners on issues or good things. I bought it, a 256gb SSD, and an adapter to replace the optical drive with the 1TB that's in the main slot now and then put the SSD in that slot. I've seen the upgrade guide on this site so that's a lot of help. What can I expect in the area of gaming (skyrim, BL2, HL2, CS:GO, CS:S, TS3/4 and WOW). I know none of those are huge graphically strenuous games (except Skyrim om higher settings). Finally what are some recommended upgrades or accessories to go with the laptop. Thanks in advance.

Zjones1994, be aware that any laptop with Optimus will cause problems with Solidworks, unless you can disable Optimus. A number of people have reported this problem with the G750JS/JZ models, where people bought them to do rendering, then found that they couldn't get the application to use the Nvidia GPU, it would only go to the integrated iGPU on the Intel CPU.

The GL551JM has Optimus, and unless something has changed, maybe in a new release of Solidworks, you will have problems.

Asus has just release 2 new ROG G751JT/JY laptops without Optimus, those would be your best choice for the kind of work you need to do.

They are 17.3" laptops though. You will find that 15" laptops don't have enough physical space to allow for the cooling needed for high end rendering - constant heat generation at full performance.

The G751JT/JT has that cooling. The G751JM, and G750JM/JS/JZ all have Optiimus, so you can rule those out.

If you can do work on another laptop, and only game on this one, then you will be fine as long as the game/app runs on the Nvidia GPU, and isn't locked to the Intel GPU, like Windows/IE/etc will be.

Please come back and let us know how it works out.

Zjones1994
Level 7
I'll keep that in mind. As of now my desire to use solidworks is solely to learn how so it isn't going to be a program I use regularly. I also have read from various reviews that you can set the default gpu to the G860 instead of switching between that and the integrated graphics. I can post my own findings on the subject when I receive the laptop hopefully sometime this week or early next week.

powerchord84
Level 7
Zjones, are you on the Bush? I am and I bought a RoG 751 yesterday and I'm having a screen flicker issue.

Zjones1994
Level 7
I'm not. Im actually in a squadron attached to the stenis. On a side note my friend just got back from the bush with a charlie squadron

rcolonna
Level 7
Zjones,
what kind of SSD did you put in and where did you get the optical adapter. were you able to put your original optical faceplate on the adapter to make it look original?

technomancer
Level 7
I just purchased this laptop GL551JM-DH71, has not yet arrived. What have i gotten myself into?
Question-I must know how to completely disable the intel graphics entirely !
HP has this ability, why not ASUS? Is there a modified BIOS that would accomplish this? This seems
a step backwards in technology, just as Win8. I am going to install Win 7 Ultimate64, and dual boot LinuxMint
because Win8 is unusable, unthemeable, and complete spyware. So back on topic, does anyone have information on how to accomplish this, or shall i start the return process before it even arrives?
---------------------------------------------------------research below-----------------------------------------

I agree with this post--->*****Quote from nvidia forum----The whole Geforce forum is repleted with users complaining about their ow...

----Update 1----

I found this online- ( *For Dell, yet same issue*)

* one of the diagrams in the white paper seems to indicate that the Nvidia card is still capable of doing direct rendering to a screen through it's own frame buffer, without any involvement from the Intel card - so long as the Nvidia card is preferred at a driver level. It looks like the only thing that matters is which card the screen is physically connected to - The nvidia card cannot render directly to a screen that is connected physically to the Intel card. Maybe, with some rework, I can hook up the primary display directly to the nvidia card.

**********Further evidence that this is the case: When I hook up a second monitor to the laptop through the HDMI port, everything on that monitor is rendered with the Nvidia GPU, including desktop compositing.

----Update 2----

*This was pulled from Toms Hardware*
I've got a solution for you, but I don't know if you're gonna like it. Optimus is integrated into your windows, so the only way to get rid of it is to reinstall normal Windows 7 version (not the one that came with your laptop; though, the same key will work of course).
Ok, spent the last few (4) hours reinstalling windows 7. This time I got all of the drivers directly from the manufacturers' sites.
My frame rate on Just Cause 2 went from 7fps to a perfect 60fps. Thank you for telling me to reinstall!

----Update 3----

I found this as well HERE-
**it's because nvidia decide to force some programs to runs on intel GPU, some of these forced programs might not works properly on geforce (ie. media players due to a bug in geforce hardware video acceleration such as DXVA2, freezes issue, and other kind of annoying issue which doesn't happened on iGPU) and some of them just to keeps power usage low (helped saves the world from energy crisis a little :D),
they may not force the program later after the issue has been resolved, but right now they just had too many major issues to be resolved first 😉
If you want to control these forced programs, you will need to find their profiles using nvidia inspector and delete or modify them 🙂
12-6-2014
-END-

****Does anyone have any luck with these solutions ? How about an ASUS rep chime in here.****
P.S. I posted this on Google+, and Nvidia forums. Maybe some exposure would help move the solution along ?

Quote--https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iYWzMvlj2RQ
(at a hacker meetup in Finland, Torvalds laid into Nvidia, calling it “the single worst company” the Linux developer community has ever dealt with, complaining that the chipmaker doesn’t do as much as it could to ensure that its hardware plays nicely with his open source operating system. He even turned to the camera filming the event, flipped the company the proverbial bird, and dropped the proverbial F bomb.---
“Nvidia, **** you,” he said, as the room erupted with applause and laughter.

Nvidia did not immediately respond to a request for comment.)

****UPDATE****12-9-2014***
So after checking everywhere, simple answer NO you cant disable the Intel GPU (at least it hasnt been hacked yet so you can).
I have found a review on the laptop, and a solution at the end for forcing the system to use only the nvidia GPU.

This review is from: ASUS ROG GL551 series GL551JM-DH71 Gaming Laptop Intel Core i7 4710HQ (2.50GHz) 16GB Memory 1TB HDD NVIDIA GeForce GTX 860M 2GB 15.6" Windows 8.1 64-Bit
Pros: - Fantastic i7 proc and love the 860M.
-Great performance as a whole.
-All components fully support Windows 7!!!!
-Very nice aesthetic look
-Moderately lightweight compared to other laptops of the same size and functionality. (I had a G74SX prior to this, and that was a tank...)
Cons: Windows 8... And the fact that there were no drivers available for download under the ASUS website. It isn't impossible to find the correct drivers for this laptop (Windows 7 or Windows 😎 but it is a hassle. Keyboard backlighting is slightly DIM, and the aluminum top cover is a fingerprint supermagnet.
Other Thoughts: For starters, I purchased a new SSD and wanted to install Windows 7 on it. I had to do a little bit of digging to find the right drivers, but thankfully, every component in this laptop has a driver for Windows 7.
That was my first "thought". Second was that this screen is NOT IPS so it will darken/lighten depending on your view. It isn't horrendous though, and not enough to get rid of an egg. One of the major issues with almost any 1080p laptop and Windows 8, is the "fuzzy" appearance of icons and text. Upon installing windows 7, you will notice that this is all purely from Windows 8's GUI (Not the screen).
I am very happy with this laptop. I've owned many laptops in the past, and I'm just overall happiest with this one. After some "tweaking" through reinstalling a new OS and a new SSD, I couldn't be happier. I think that anyone who is looking into buying this laptop in particular, who is also looking to install a new OS, be very weary that you will need to do a little bit of hunting to find the right drivers. Also, this might have just been for me( doubt it though), but after installing Windows 7, my PC's performance increased by quite a bit - and this is on the exact same hard drive that the original Windows 8 install was on, prior to the SSD installation.
You need to turn off Secure Boot and enable/disable CSM/OpRom in BIOS. You'll figure it out once you get there (look under security options and boot options).
When you change hardware, you should go straight to BIOS. Then you will see that it is missing option to boot to USB (if you are using that to install Windows). Change CSM options and disable SecureBoot until you see the option to boot to USB drive. I can't remember exactly what I did. Google "secureboot" for a better explanation.
I did not install Windows 7. I install Windows 10, and used Windows 8.1 drivers online.
For drivers, go to support.asus.com/download and choose "Select Model Manually". From there, select the notebook's model number (GL551) and see if it works now. If not, you can try the G551 drivers. Use IE if Chrome is not working.

************Possible solution to use ONLY Nvidia GPU--->

1. Nvidia control panel -> 3D settings -> Manage 3D settings -> Global settings -> *Set the Preferred graphics processor to High-performance NVIDIA processor.

2. Nvidia control panel -> 3D settings -> Manage 3D settings -> Program settins -> at the Select a program to customize select Elder Scrolls 5: Skyrim (tesv.exe) -> at the Select the preferred graphics processor for this program select High-performance NVIDIA processor.

3. Nvidia control panel -> 3D settings -> at Select a PhysX processor select your preferred obviously.

Zjones1994
Level 7
Ive received the laptop and love it. To answer the questions no i can not comment on disabling the int. graphics full time but you can choose which graphics card to be used by certain apps in the nvidia control panel.
As for the SSD and adapter i have a samsung 840 250 gb evo.
The optical drive is a 9.5mm (very important). Here is the link, http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00FWOR638/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

That is a software solution, very bad one at that. For computer savy people a dedicated video card is just that, not acceptable to be forced to use it just one way. If I wanted that i would have gotten a MAC.
P.S. SSD hard drives are not mature technologies as of yet for consumers, give it 3-5 years more, I have had 3 fail completely on me. all diff manufacturs', i just have normal use. Get a hybrid drive or stick with a reg hdd

Zjones1994 wrote:
Ive received the laptop and love it. To answer the questions no i can not comment on disabling the int. graphics full time but you can choose which graphics card to be used by certain apps in the nvidia control panel.
As for the SSD and adapter i have a samsung 840 250 gb evo.
The optical drive is a 9.5mm (very important). Here is the link, http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00FWOR638/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1