Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    New ROGer Array

Zjones, was the adapter really hard to install? I'm sure I got that one but had a hard time. finally installed but very tight fit.

New ROGer Array

****UPDATE****12-9-2014***
    So after checking everywhere, simple answer NO you cant disable the Intel GPU (at least it hasnt been hacked yet so you can).
    I have found a review on the laptop, and a solution at the end for forcing the system to use only the nvidia GPU.

This review is from: ASUS ROG GL551 series GL551JM-DH71 Gaming Laptop Intel Core i7 4710HQ (2.50GHz) 16GB Memory 1TB HDD NVIDIA GeForce GTX 860M 2GB 15.6" Windows 8.1 64-Bit
    Pros: - Fantastic i7 proc and love the 860M.
    -Great performance as a whole.
    -All components fully support Windows 7!!!!
    -Very nice aesthetic look
    -Moderately lightweight compared to other laptops of the same size and functionality. (I had a G74SX prior to this, and that was a tank...)
    Cons: Windows 8... And the fact that there were no drivers available for download under the ASUS website. It isn't impossible to find the correct drivers for this laptop (Windows 7 or Windows 8) but it is a hassle. Keyboard backlighting is slightly DIM, and the aluminum top cover is a fingerprint supermagnet.
    Other Thoughts: For starters, I purchased a new SSD and wanted to install Windows 7 on it. I had to do a little bit of digging to find the right drivers, but thankfully, every component in this laptop has a driver for Windows 7.
    That was my first "thought". Second was that this screen is NOT IPS so it will darken/lighten depending on your view. It isn't horrendous though, and not enough to get rid of an egg. One of the major issues with almost any 1080p laptop and Windows 8, is the "fuzzy" appearance of icons and text. Upon installing windows 7, you will notice that this is all purely from Windows 8's GUI (Not the screen).
    I am very happy with this laptop. I've owned many laptops in the past, and I'm just overall happiest with this one. After some "tweaking" through reinstalling a new OS and a new SSD, I couldn't be happier. I think that anyone who is looking into buying this laptop in particular, who is also looking to install a new OS, be very weary that you will need to do a little bit of hunting to find the right drivers. Also, this might have just been for me( doubt it though), but after installing Windows 7, my PC's performance increased by quite a bit - and this is on the exact same hard drive that the original Windows 8 install was on, prior to the SSD installation.
    You need to turn off Secure Boot and enable/disable CSM/OpRom in BIOS. You'll figure it out once you get there (look under security options and boot options).
    When you change hardware, you should go straight to BIOS. Then you will see that it is missing option to boot to USB (if you are using that to install Windows). Change CSM options and disable SecureBoot until you see the option to boot to USB drive. I can't remember exactly what I did. Google "secureboot" for a better explanation.
    I did not install Windows 7. I install Windows 10, and used Windows 8.1 drivers online.
    For drivers, go to support.asus.com/download and choose "Select Model Manually". From there, select the notebook's model number (GL551) and see if it works now. If not, you can try the G551 drivers. Use IE if Chrome is not working.

************Possible solution to use ONLY Nvidia GPU--->

1. Nvidia control panel -> 3D settings -> Manage 3D settings -> Global settings -> *Set the Preferred graphics processor to High-performance NVIDIA processor.

2. Nvidia control panel -> 3D settings -> Manage 3D settings -> Program settins -> at the Select a program to customize select Elder Scrolls 5: Skyrim (tesv.exe) -> at the Select the preferred graphics processor for this program select High-performance NVIDIA processor.

3. Nvidia control panel -> 3D settings -> at Select a PhysX processor select your preferred obviously.

ROG Member Array

The adapter was a tight fit. I actually took a pair of pliers and crimped the edges. On mine where the ends meet theres was a gap that caused the issue. After squeezing it together a lot easier to install.

New ROGer Array

Unhappy GL551JM monitor turns off after 5 minutes or so with 20 minute timeout settings

Just got my GL551 and I am very impressed... running Far Cry 4 with no problem on HIGH settings. Only problem I'm having is the monitor screen times out and shuts off after 5 minutes of no mouse or keyboard activity even though I have the screen timeout at 20 minutes. Move the mouse or hit a key and she pops right back on... any ideas????? Huuuuuummmmmm... it was the screen saver... default setting "blank" after 1 minute... that's a first!
    Last edited by dsteele11; 02-10-2015 at 11:44 PM. Reason: Fixed my own problem

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2