Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Most advanced CPU closed Permanent cooling Ever

EgyOC
Level 7
It's Named as Cryo-TEC Cooling System

http://www.digitalstormonline.com/cryo-tec.asp

So was asking will asus relate ?

Will Team ROG ever think of making the most advanced CPU Cooling system ?

Can it be ever applied to GPU's ?

According to DigitalStorm it was discontinued to be applied with their gaming rigs , that's so weird and was replaced with a less advanced and less efficient cooling Named as Hydro-Lux cooling system

so will Asus ever thinks of making Closed CPU cooling system like Corsair H110 ...etc ?
7 REPLIES 7

X-ROG
Level 15
We're not considering making liquid coolers sorry.

TEC systems can be applied to GPUs but you have to have a specially designed waterblock, cold plate and mounting mechanism to work with it, which increases the size and weight of the device, meaning you have to brace the card and use no other PCIE expansion cards.

Antronman
Level 10
What MarshallR mentioned, makes for a complicated and specialized manufacturing process, which in turn makes for a very expensive one.

Not enough profit, slows down production etc.
Say hi to the next generation.

Peace is a lie, there is only Passion

Through passion, I gain strength

Through strength, I gain victory

Through victory, my chains are broken

The Republic of Gamers shall free me

Korth
Level 14
Companies are engineering new TEC-based products and wading them out to new market niches. Liquid cooling was once exotic DIY stuff, limited to the crazy elite, now it's common fare for enthusiasts and professionals, a standard option in mainstream prebuilt systems.

I'm hoping that some good TEC toys will appear in coming years. I'm not quite an innovator, but I am an early adopter.

But TEC consumes a lot of power, and - one way or another - all those Watts have to glow off rads and be blown away with fans. A downside on TEC which concerns me is that when electrical power is shut off (or just fails) the "cold" plate reaches equilibrium with the "hot" plate, meaning that all the heat pulled away from the CPU/etc gets dumped right back. A lot of thermal energy, considering one side can be sub-zero while the other side is hotter than max TDP. I don't think exposing silicon to such sudden and extreme temp shifts can be good.
"All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others." - Douglas Adams

[/Korth]

Korth wrote:
Companies are engineering new TEC-based products and wading them out to new market niches. Liquid cooling was once exotic DIY stuff, limited to the crazy elite, now it's common fare for enthusiasts and professionals, a standard option in mainstream prebuilt systems.

I'm hoping that some good TEC toys will appear in coming years. I'm not quite an innovator, but I am an early adopter.

But TEC consumes a lot of power, and - one way or another - all those Watts have to glow off rads and be blown away with fans. A downside on TEC which concerns me is that when electrical power is shut off (or just fails) the "cold" plate reaches equilibrium with the "hot" plate, meaning that all the heat pulled away from the CPU/etc gets dumped right back. A lot of thermal energy, considering one side can be sub-zero while the other side is hotter than max TDP. I don't think exposing silicon to such sudden and extreme temp shifts can be good.

That's the catch with nearly all forms of PC cooling (LN2 being a slight exception): it's all about moving energy away from the source. Even phase-change systems are victim to this law of physics; they use compression energy transfer to literally force the thermal energy out of the transfer medium. TEC systems require a secondary thermal transfer mechanic to dissipate the hot plate, otherwise it's merely a timebomb attached to your CPU/GPU... once the TEC fails, the heat will build up even faster in the processor. If implemented correctly, the hot plate should not get very hot at all, and in turn the inverse with the cold plate, thus reducing the temperature delta between the two... this is entirely dependent upon the secondary cooler's ability to wick the heat off the hot plate. TEC is more of a safety net in regard to its relation with the processor: it acts as a buffer between processor and the secondary cooler.

Interestingly enough, my exposure to exotic cooling was the reverse of most people. I learned of TEC in the early 90s, and then Phase-change (I was very very close to buying a Prometheus in 2004, but decided to get a gaming laptop since I was active duty military at the time), then oil-immersion, then water when some of the first kits appeared in the early 2000s. I've always considered water the most dangerous of exotic cooling. I'd rather toss my system in a fishtank of oil, honestly.

Retired
Not applicable
You will be needed to insulate parts of you HW, if you are going to use a TEC cooling solution.

>> Don't worry, the CPU socket is fully insolated from condensation.

Worry!!

Korth
Level 14
Oils make a really nasty mess, Midel 7131 is so much cleaner. And, hmmm, a vapor point of 49C, I wonder if it would make a useful refrigerant?

TECs can reduce temps below ambient, to subzero and beyond if you pump enough power into them. Condensation is a problem. Frost can be a problem. You might need to stick your computer into a dry box, or laminate your components with an electronic-grade clear coat, and you might even need to kick in all those little features Asus adds to combat "cold bugs".

I suppose you could avoid a lot of that by using a TEC engineered to operate exactly within the proper temperature ranges, not too strong, not too weak. And it would need to self-regulate in response to constant real time fluctuations in thermal stress/loading. It seems like a lot of work, not the sort of thing you could run "unattended" (like air or water) for months at a time, I think it's just as exotic as breaking out the LN2.
"All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others." - Douglas Adams

[/Korth]

SinisterDev85
Level 11
EgyOC wrote:
It's Named as Cryo-TEC Cooling System

http://www.digitalstormonline.com/cryo-tec.asp

Holy wow! How does it lower the temps to below 0 on a liquid system like that?! I must know the science behind it! Ive never heard of a cold plate building up frost like what you'd see on a LN2 system.... What's making the liquid so cold? It doesn't look like anything out of the ordinary in the pics..
ASUS ROG Z790 Apex Encore | i9 14900ks | | G. Skill Trident Z5 8000 | 2x WD SN850x 4gb | Asus Strix RTX 4080 OC| Asus ROG Thor 1200w | Windows 11 Pro