cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G751JM and Samsung 840 EVO SSD

Solaran_X
Level 7
So I bought a G751JM to replace my old G74SX. I also bought 32GB of Corsair Vengenace and a Samsung 840 EVO SSD to upgrade it with. As you can imagine, I was very unhappy to discover that the SODIMM slot layout in the G751 is drastically different than the SODIMM slot layout in the G74, and as such will require some disassembly to replace the 2x4GB Kingston modules with my other package of Corsairs.

I also installed the Samsung 840 EVO and migrated the contents of my 1TB drive that came with it to the SSD. I then changed my boot order to go with the SSD first and then the HD. When I boot from the SSD with the HD still installed I cannot access "Change computer settings" - its just a solid blue screen. As an experiment, I completely removed the HD and booted it back up. It will not boot up with just the SSD installed. But reinstalling the HD resulted in a proper boot up.

Ideas?
8 REPLIES 8

z3540
Level 7
Not sure if this is the same with the G751 but I have the g750 and cloned the original drive to a Samsung EVO. When doing so I made sure it was bootable. Once cloned, I put it in the hdd slot where the original one came from. I have not had any problems and it's faaassstt!!

Got it working right now. Apparently the data migration had some errors the first time around, and a second migration fixed it. Having never used a SSD before, this thing is amazing when its booting up. May very well rebuild my G74SX with a SSD, 16GB of RAM and fix the cooling issue.

z3540
Level 7
Glad to see you got yours up and running. Yes, I love SSDs (my first one too). I see you have the JM model. Is it touch screen from BB? If so, how do you like it? Have you upgraded your RAM? I have the G750JW from BB for less than a year after my old Sony Vaio Vista laptop died. I would have bought the JM touch if I didn't have my current ROG rig. I'm probably going to wait until they have a GTX 900 series and touch.

Solaran_X
Level 7
So far its not bad. A definite improvement over my old G74SX, although the SODIMM arrangement sucks compared to my G74SX. A full desktop Intel i7 4710HQ is a huge leap from the older mobile Intel i7 2630QM that was in the G74SX, and of course a 2GB GTX 860M will out perform a 2GB GTX 560M. And the touch screen is nice for some things.

I got 32GB of Corsair Vengeance DDR3L for it, but have only put 16GB in so far because of the SODIMM arrangement. I have to pull the entire bottom plate of the laptop off to get to the other two SODIMM slots (the G74SX had all four SODIMMs accessible from the upgrade cover). And I may pick up another Samsung 840 EVO tomorrow for the second hard drive, and ditch the 1TB Seagate drive it came with. I have a Western Digital 4TB external hard drive that runs on USB3.0 - which is more than enough storage space for videos and music.

This is my second G-series laptop. I got the G74SX about three years ago, when my last desktop that I built got fried during a brown out through the surge protector. Cooked my Phenom II CPU and the keyboard controller on the motherboard. I was going to try and ride out the G74SX until ASUS released a G76/G760 laptop, but it seems that the G751 is the newer generation.

And the two higher level models of the G751 have GTX 980M and GTX 970M GPUs.

And with the SSD, my boot times are seriously under 10 seconds now. Amazing. And with no moving parts, I'm going to assume that access times won't slow down and defragging isn't needed anymore?

Solaran_X wrote:
...I got 32GB of Corsair Vengeance DDR3L for it...

Solaran_X, sorry to tell you this, but your Corsair Vengeance DDR3L memory is likely running at 1.5v in the G751, not 1.35v . Below is a snippet of the spec sheet showing SPD is 1.5v, and is only "tested" at 1.35v.

There is a sticky thread in the G750 forum, I guess we need a link to it here too.

Upgraders: 1.35V memory is required!
http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?33744-Upgraders-1-35V-memory-is-required!

There are a number of posts about how Corsair says it is DDR3L memory, but their SPD setting is 1.5v, so on the G750 - and I am assuming on the G751 - the BIOS only goes by the pre-programmed SPD voltage value. The G750 BIOS doesn't let you set the memory voltage down to 1.35v manually.

You didn't post your Corsair part number, please check that against the Corsair site to verify. Here is the Corsair 8GB DDR3L CMSO8GX3M1C1600C11

Corsair Memory — 8GB DDR3L SODIMM Memory (CMSO8GX3M1C1600C11)
http://www.corsair.com/en-us/corsair-memory-8gb-ddr3l-sodimm-memory-cmso8gx3m1c1600c11

The SPD is set for 1.5v, and only tested against 1.35v

I PM'd a couple of administrators to see if they can link the memory sticky from the G750 forum to the G751 forum, or to start a new sticky thread for memory for the G751 forum.

What seems to work best, as discussed in the memory thread, is to use CPU-Z to find the make/model of memory you have already, and get more of the same, and if they are 4GB SODIMM's find the 8GB equivalent in the make/model family of the 4GB you have installed.

If you are going to replace all 4 SODIMM's many have used the G.Skill 2133mhz memory in the G750 almost the same price and much faster 🙂

G.SKILL Ripjaws 32GB (4 x 8G) 204-Pin DDR3 SO-DIMM DDR3L 2133 Laptop Memory Model F3-2133C11Q-32GRSL
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231776

Please come back and let us know what you end up getting and how it works out 🙂

pokerface
Level 9
If you run 1.5V RAM on a Haswell based motherboard and CPU, it will run, but you will damage your motherboard in not time due to the increased voltage!
ALIENWARE 18 Laptop
CPU: Intel Core i7-4900MQ CPU @ 3.8 GHz (8MB Cache)
Graphics: Dual GeForce GTX 780M SLI 2x4 GB GDDR5 RAM
Sound: Realtek ALC668 HD Audio with Klipsch Speakers
Memory: 32 GB Kingston HyperX 1866 MHz DDR3 PC3-14900 RAM
Storage: Samsung 850 PRO 256 GB SSD + Samsung 850 PRO 1 TB SSD + Samsung 840 EVO 1 TB mSATA SSD
Screen: Samsung LTM184HL01 18.4" WLED FHD (1920 X 1080) TrueLife Display PLS 16:9 1080p [SDC4C48]

Solaran_X
Level 7
According to HWInfo, my RAM in all four slots (2x8GB Corsair CMSX16GX3M2B1600C9 and 2x4GB Kingston ASU16D3LS1KFG/4G) is running at 1.35V.

[http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y98/Solaran_X/RAMComposite2_zps534c7417.png

Solaran_X wrote:
According to HWInfo, my RAM in all four slots (2x8GB Corsair CMSX16GX3M2B1600C9 and 2x4GB Kingston ASU16D3LS1KFG/4G) is running at 1.35V.

[http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y98/Solaran_X/RAMComposite2_zps534c7417.png

Solaran_X, that's great news! The CMSx16GX3M2B1600C9 spec also calls out 1.5v SPD, and it is shown as running at 1.35v - I guess Asus decided to force the voltage to 1.35v in the BIOS, and ignore the SPD voltage.

Would you please post what the CPU-Z SPD tab has for the Corsair memory?

http://www.cpuid.com/downloads/cpu-z/1.71-rog-setup-en.exe

The ASU16D3LS1KFG/4G is made / based on Kingston, but it looks like a unique Asus part number. No spec sheet to be found, so far.

Thanks for posting the text name of the part number as well as the image. In 1 more post, at 5 posts, you can upload images here yourself. For now here is your image, just in case the link breaks in the future:

It looks like we need to reconsider what memory works in the G751 vs the G750.

Glad you are stable with 2 different makes/models of memory, that has also been a problem on the G750, hit or miss, some mixed pairings worked, some didn't - the safest pairing was to put in the same make/model, or the larger 8GB SODIMM in the same family. Otherwise, replacing all the memory with 4 of the same also worked.

Thanks again Solaran_X 🙂