Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast
    ROG Member Array

Hi hmscott - it's very cool of you to help out here. The information and experience you impart is clearly helping many people, and likely a lot more who benefit without posting.

I definitely hear what you are saying - that mixing sodimm's of different make and/or specs is "hit or miss" - it almost seems like voodoo ;-) Apologies and will understand if this is TL;DR

It's easy to get confused about (for me anyway) - when I read the tech papers about dual-channel mem architecture etc.., it is implied and sometimes stated that the "matching" of dimm's is important if they are in "paired slots" (e.g. slot 1 and 3, slot 2 and 4 - in the 4-slot lappies we're discussing here) that can provide "dual-channel", or concurrent access if identical SODIMMs are used (to benefit from dual-channel's improved bandwidth). I.e., technically, slots 1 and 3 could be Kingston CL 11--- matched sodimms, and slots 2 and 4 could be Crucial CL 9--- matched sodimms and they'd be enabling dual-channel.

Nevertheless - actual real-life experience seems to counter this claim after all, right? I've got a G55VW that I am still loving - (3630QM, GTX660M, etc..); it is the finest laptop I've ever had (not just for obvious generational improvements, either). Anway - I've used CPU-Z and know my G55 has hynix (2x4gb, PC3-12800, 11-11-11-28) running at 1.5V. Further reading indicates that some folks have installed 1.5V in slots 1 & 3, and 1.35V in slots 2 & 4 ; It is my understanding that my G55 will support both 1.35 and 1.5V modules, so... a little more uncertainty here. Both Crucial and Kingston have their flavors of CPU-Z that you can run to determine what SODIMMs will work in your system, as well as "OEM compatible" short-lists (before I ran their scan utilities, they only showed sodimm with identical timings/specs to my system's orig. installed (except that none of them are recommending 1.5V SODIMMs for my G55VW)... (orig. factory is at 1.5V !!) More INTERESTINGLY, despite their pre-published "short lists" only showing the 11-11-11-28 modules, after I run their scanner utilities, they add their "performance" products to the list of Asus G55VW "compatible/supported" memory, SODIMMS with lower timings like 9-9-9-24 !! .. in other words, e.g., Crucial's page of compatible SODIMM for the Asus G55VW only had a single 8gb kit (2x4gb) with identical cas at CL 11, 1600mhz, etc. BUT after I ran their scan utlity, they expanded the list of compatible modules to include their "Ballistix" branded performance mem, with CL 9--- timing, etc.. and EVEN included some higher-freq PC3-14900 mem (technically, higher-freq mem should work fine at lower speeds I guess)

Again, what I've read is that in order to enable concurrent/dual-channel operation, each pair of slots (i.e. "concurrent-capable channels") need to have identical DIMMs... but technically, there's no reason that BOTH pairs have to be matched/identical DIMMs, because conncurrent access ("dual channel") only occurs on paired slots 1 & 3 (ch 1 and 2 pair), and paired slots 2 & 4 (ch 1 and 2 pair)... 1 & 3 could be identical Kingston, 2 & 4 identical Crucial sodimms, and you will have enabled dual-channel enhanced bandwidth. Regardless - I do understand that your advice is based upon real-world experiences reported from numerous sources, and much is in reference specifically to the "Haswell" equipped G7x1 - regardless, I do not mean to contradict what has been conveyed here. Just saying what my understanding of dual-channel has been. Basically, it's a case of "deviate at your own risk" it would seem.

I hope I haven't posted inappropriately, as this thread's intent is to alert G751 & G771 owner's to the Haswell's 1.35V requirement. I've just had trouble tracking down specific info for my situation, and this thread has knowledgeable and friendly contributors, as well as subject matter relevant to my situation/interests - at least I am a ROGer and happy ASUSer ;-)

If I should delete or move this post, just say the word, no worries.

Stephen
    Last edited by aprilia1k; 12-27-2014 at 12:25 AM.

ROG Member Array

Asus should start selling the exact ram directly to consumers. ASUS TAKE NOTE!

ROG Member Array

Just bought G551JM this week, they added 1 slot of ram 4 GB. Original ram is in slot #3.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	memory.jpg 
Views:	283 
Size:	74.5 KB 
ID:	45361Click image for larger version. 

Name:	spd slot#1.jpg 
Views:	283 
Size:	93.2 KB 
ID:	45362Click image for larger version. 

Name:	spd slot#3.jpg 
Views:	282 
Size:	95.9 KB 
ID:	45363

ROG Guru: Green Belt Array

Quote Originally Posted by hmscott View Post
    LoCk3d, it's a wonderful time, we can also purchase Crucial memory from some convenience stores

Glad it worked out for you. The G751 seems less sensitive to mixing memory, this might have failed on the G750 from previous reports.

Have fun
    I can personally attest to the G751 not being very picky.
    I have the standard Hyundai 8GB DDR3L-1600 1.35v CL10 module and I popped in a kit of 2 Kingston HyperX PnP 1.5v DDR3-1600 CL9 modules and it worked fine with a memtest86 and a couple hours of heavy gaming.

I'm not willing to take the chance of any damaged memory controllers or anything like that though - but my dad's K95 has been running with a 1.35/1.5v mix for over a year now with no issues.

ROG Guru: Orange Belt Array

Quote Originally Posted by LoCk3d View Post
    Hello, my G751JT arrived, I added one ram plate of 8GB, and they are in dual channel.
    Attachment 44411
    How come your Command Rate is 1 ? I think mine is 2.

I have the Samsung memory 8x2 slots in G751JT . How I make it to Dual Channel , it is only Single now. And How can I make it to Command rate 1 ? it gives a nice boost in speed.

If I opened the back of the Laptop and saw 2 slots taken by the memory, where are the 2 others and how will I reach them if I want to use them ?
    Last edited by x7007; 01-11-2015 at 08:28 PM.

ROG Guru: Green Belt Array

Quote Originally Posted by x7007 View Post
    How come your Command Rate is 1 ? I think mine is 2.

I have the Samsung memory 8x2 slots in G751JT . How I make it to Dual Channel , it is only Single now. And How can I make it to Command rate 1 ? it gives a nice boost in speed.

If I opened the back of the Laptop and saw 2 slots taken by the memory, where are the 2 others and how will I reach them if I want to use them ?
    This will most likely void your warranty. This is why its advised to buy a model with 16gb ram so you dont have to do so. Basically you need to remove all the screws from the bottom, remove the optical drive and the screws under it and 2 or 3 screws in the hdd/ram bay. Then you have to remove the plastic and aluminium plates off the top of the fans and the pop the keyboard plate up from under the screen. There are a couple of cables there and all the guts of the laptop are then accessible. Ive done it, it tajes about ten to fifteen minutes. Dual Channel memory needs to be in corresponding slots. If cpu-z says you have ram in slots 1 and 2 then you want it in 1 and 3 and vice versa.

ROG Guru: Orange Belt Array

Quote Originally Posted by Edweird View Post
    This will most likely void your warranty. This is why its advised to buy a model with 16gb ram so you dont have to do so. Basically you need to remove all the screws from the bottom, remove the optical drive and the screws under it and 2 or 3 screws in the hdd/ram bay. Then you have to remove the plastic and aluminium plates off the top of the fans and the pop the keyboard plate up from under the screen. There are a couple of cables there and all the guts of the laptop are then accessible. Ive done it, it tajes about ten to fifteen minutes. Dual Channel memory needs to be in corresponding slots. If cpu-z says you have ram in slots 1 and 2 then you want it in 1 and 3 and vice versa.
    You mean that's why we want the 16x1 model ? but even if I had this one, wouldn't I still need to do it to add the 2nd or 3rd one on the other slot for dual channel ? I can't understand what you mean with the 16Gb model, cause there is one thing but then there's the other which cancel this one. I have the 16Gb model 8x2 . but why would Asus do that, Dual channel is Double Faster than Single , to get the normal performance I should anyway get I need to void the warranty ? why................................... it's bloody gaming laptop and I am stuck now with Single Channel

What can I do now to get dual channel without opening the gutting of the laptop, how come other people can add the 3rd slot easy ? or maybe they did open it, they didn't say. How come there are people with G751JT with Command Rate 1T
    Last edited by x7007; 01-12-2015 at 01:49 AM.

ROG Enthusiast Array

Mine (G751JY-DH71) came with the RAM outlined in the attached image. Found the exact same stick on eBay - 2 more still available at this link:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/181629786249

Name:	g751jy-dh71_RAM.jpg 
Views:	275 
Size:	76.8 KB 
ID:	45408

New ROGer Array

Quote Originally Posted by sk3tch View Post
    Mine (G751JY-DH71) came with the RAM outlined in the attached image. Found the exact same stick on eBay - 2 more still available at this link:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/181629786249

Name:	g751jy-dh71_RAM.jpg 
Views:	275 
Size:	76.8 KB 
ID:	45408
    Are you running dual-channel now? (Check memory tab)

So now you have 1 memory inside the chassi? and you added one under the plate?

ROG Guru: White Belt Array

Quote Originally Posted by x7007 View Post
    You mean that's why we want the 16x1 model ? but even if I had this one, wouldn't I still need to do it to add the 2nd or 3rd one on the other slot for dual channel ? I can't understand what you mean with the 16Gb model, cause there is one thing but then there's the other which cancel this one. I have the 16Gb model 8x2 . but why would Asus do that, Dual channel is Double Faster than Single , to get the normal performance I should anyway get I need to void the warranty ? why................................... it's bloody gaming laptop and I am stuck now with Single Channel

What can I do now to get dual channel without opening the gutting of the laptop, how come other people can add the 3rd slot easy ? or maybe they did open it, they didn't say. How come there are people with G751JT with Command Rate 1T
    It's impossible. I mean if you have 2 x 8gb and as you say both (are you sure?) are in the service bay, then you must have double channel.
    Check again. I'm quite convinced you have 1 stick in service bay and 1 under keybord area.
    Because there are 2 banks per channel. Both channels have per 1 bank/slot in each place. Placing both sticks.in service bay makes double channel, if both are under keybord.thats also.double channel, you can also make double.channel with 2 sticks in difrent places.
    Check service bay again, if you have there 1 stick of ram just relocate it to the other unocupied slot/bank.
    It should work, is easy and dont have to take apart whole laptop

Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast