cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A Simple Question, Does the g751jy have a backup on it?

Boaz_Beatz
Level 7
Does the g751jy have a backup on it? or do i need to create one myself if i wanted to restore windows and start over as new?
18 REPLIES 18

hmscott
Level 12
Boaz Beatz wrote:
Does the g751jy have a backup on it? or do i need to create one myself if i wanted to restore windows and start over as new?

Boaz Beatz, that is the right question to ask, and I wish more people would think of it before blowing away their only recovery media - the partitions on their original boot drive.

You can use Asus Backtracker to create a bootable USB 3.0 16GB flash drive to use to restore to another drive later. It should be the first thing we all do when we get a new ROG laptop. If the original boot disk gets blown away, there is no other way to restore the OS than to return it to Asus for reloading.

Loading a Microsoft Media install of Windows ends up losing/miissing functionality, varies across difference models - it's fun to experiment, but keep the original install available to load before sending back to Asus for support - they will ask you to do that before you RMA it, to verify the failure also happens on the Asus OS build before RMA is approved.

You can also use power off, power up, tap F9 - to get the recovery refresh/reset options to refresh Windows to defaults or reset to out of the box install - blowing away the current partitions on all drives in the laptop.

Be careful. When creating the Asus Backtracker flash recovery drive, disconnect any other USB devices as they might be erased.

Before booting on the Asus Backtracker USB 3.0 16GB flash recovery drive, pull out any other internal drives - like the original boot drive - as the first thing the restore does is to re-partition all the drives it finds. If the restore fails - you would have blown away the original recovery partition and wouldn't be able to try to create another flash drive. RMA back to Asus.

Sometimes Asus Backtracker will say it created a recovery drive successfully, only to fail on the restore. Make sure you do a test restore if you don't intend to use it right away - put in another drive - not your original boot drive - and test the restore. If you are going to use the recovery flash drive for a restore to a new SSD/HDD right away, that will be your test 🙂

2.5" drives are cheap, the 1TB boot drive that comes with the Asus can be purchased for $50, I recommend putting it on the shelf to use later if you need to send the laptop in to Asus for service.

If you want to clone the original OS, along with your new installs / configurations, I use Macrium Reflect. It let me clone down in size from the 1TB to 256GB/512GB SSD. It preserves the GPT/UEFI on the original boot drive, so you can clone to a new SSD, swap it in the old HDD position, and boot up without BIOS changes.

Macrium Reflect Free
http://www.macrium.com/reflectfree.aspx

Asus splits all drives into at least 2 partitions, and the boot drive gets carved up into two mounted partitions and several recovery / system partitions.

On the clone or restored new SSD you can delete the partitions and combine into 1 mounted partition for C, and the 2nd Bay drive can be combined to put all the space into 1 mounted partition.

You need to use admin command line diskpart, and delete override to delete the protected OEM partitions. Here is a post with examples:

Anyone knows how to merge C & D disk/drive into one?
http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?51245-Anyone-knows-how-to-merge-C-amp-D-disk-drive-into-one...

Have fun 🙂

but lets say if i want to just restore it to stock i can use the f9 option right and it will be as the day i got the laptop?

Boaz Beatz wrote:
but lets say if i want to just restore it to stock i can use the f9 option right and it will be as the day i got the laptop?

It's in there 🙂

"You can also use power off, power up, tap F9 - to get the recovery refresh/reset options to refresh Windows to defaults or reset to out of the box install - blowing away the current partitions on all drives in the laptop."

QC_AGENT
Level 7
Scott, I read you a lot on this forum and first, thanks four your clever advises. You are helping a lot here. Secondly, it caught my eyes that you are always refering to a flash drive when talking about creating a factory recovery disk. With my previous G73 and G75 I was using ASUS AI Recovery Utility by burning up to 5 DVDs.

I believe ASUS Backtracker is the replacement of the former AI Recovery? Can we get the recovery disk over a Blue-Ray disk by using Backtracker?

QC_AGENT wrote:
Scott, I read you a lot on this forum and first, thanks four your clever advises. You are helping a lot here. Secondly, it caught my eyes that you are always refering to a flash drive when talking about creating a factory recovery disk. With my previous G73 and G75 I was using ASUS AI Recovery Utility by burning up to 5 DVDs.

I believe ASUS Backtracker is the replacement of the former AI Recovery? Can we get the recovery disk over a Blue-Ray disk by using Backtracker?

QC_AGENT, unfortunately there is no way to create DVD/BD recovery disks. Only a backup onto a USB flash drive.

Asus Backtracker uses about 14GB for the backup, and only creates up to a 20GB partition no matter how large the flash drive is. That is why I suggest a 16GB. 32GB gives you a few more GB for additional backup, but only 20GB of the 32GB is available.

andreacos92
Level 9
If I use Backtracker to create the backup on the 16GB USB drive, then can I do what I want on the partitions and I can always restore it to stock?

Ask that because I read that the drives come split in two partitions, so the 256GB ssd comes with two partitions of 128GB each.
Can I delete one of the partition and extend the other to have only 1 partition of 256GB? And then I can always restore to stock?

andreacos92 wrote:
If I use Backtracker to create the backup on the 16GB USB drive, then can I do what I want on the partitions and I can always restore it to stock?

Ask that because I read that the drives come split in two partitions, so the 256GB ssd comes with two partitions of 128GB each.
Can I delete one of the partition and extend the other to have only 1 partition of 256GB? And then I can always restore to stock?

would like to know that too

andreacos92 wrote:

Boaz Beatz wrote:
would like to know that too

andreacos92 / Boaz Beatz, answered in my post above, and the links included 🙂

you should post a more detailed guide on how to delete the disk so you get 256gb cus i did not get it myself