cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wanting to purchase G751JY-DH71 and upgrading it to specs of G751JY-DH72X

CoryBee
Level 7
From what I can understand. The big price difference comes from the bigger ssd and an extra 4gb stick of ram.

From what I can tell, if I upgrade these two parts with the parts I have on hand in my G750JZ, it should be just as powerful?

I noticed the processor is a bit different as well, but only slightly.

If I have these parts will the more expensive version be more powerful still?

Amazon links;
G751JY-DH71

G751JY-DH72X

From amazon;
ASUS ROG G750JZ-XS72
CPU: 2.4 GHz Core i7-4700HQ
Memory: 32 GB DDR3
Graphics: GeForce GTX 880m 4GB GDDR5 RAM
Storage: 512GB SSD (256GB SSD x 2 RAID) + 1TB 7200RPM Hard Drive
Screen: 17.3" Full HD Glossy Screen
Sound: Custom Internal 7.1 Surround Sound Astro a50 Transmitter
Hobby: Arcade Builder
9 REPLIES 9

andreacos92
Level 9
From another forum:
It doesnt perform much more.
4860HQ runs at 3.5GHz and 4710HQ runs at 3.4GHz. Virtually identical.
4860HQ have the Iris Pro IGP while 4710HQ have the HD4600. Iris Pro is muuuch better, if you want to game with tje IGP.

Dont look at the numbers in the CPU names, thats how they get to you and trick you
The 4860HQ cost much more than the 4710HQ so if you are like me and buying a notebook with 980M to actually use that 980M, its money wasted.

It makes sense.
So if you upgrade the G751JY-DH71 with 32GB of RAM and 512SSD it will perform as a G751JY-DH72X when using the 980m (always i think 😄 )

QC_AGENT
Level 7
Is there any added value coming up with the 4860HQ Iris Pro IGP when using a 980m? Do the PhysX can be shared w/ the IGP or is it only the GPU that is taking care of all graphics computing? I don't get what the IGP can help with.

It sounds to me that the 72X has no real added performance since the 24 GB of ram should not be a bottled neck and the CPU are very close. However, it does have and added value of featuring more m.2 disk space. I would be personnally interrested to buy the 72x over the 71 if it was loaded w/ 8GB Vram.

andreacos92 wrote:

It makes sense.
So if you upgrade the G751JY-DH71 with 32GB of RAM and 512SSD it will perform as a G751JY-DH72X when using the 980m (always i think 😄 )

Thanks for that, I thought so. Plus I am going to add a 1tb ssd and a 512gb ssd as well as my surround sound headset mod.

Quick question, does the G751 serious have optimus? I really hope it doesn't.

What is the screen refresh rate?

Also, I would purchase the hell out of an 8gb version. Although I had the MSI 8gb 880m and my current G750JZ 4gb and the G750 outperformed the MSI. So maybe Asus has a good reason to not have 8gb??
ASUS ROG G750JZ-XS72

irablumberg
Level 7
No optimus on the 751. The 4860 processor runs a tiny bit faster than the 4710, but I don't think you will notice any difference for most games as the GPU is typically the bottleneck.

Thanks guys!

Just need the refresh rate on this guy...
ASUS ROG G750JZ-XS72

CoryBee wrote:
Thanks guys!
Just need the refresh rate on this guy...

CoryBee, the big performance difference will be between the M.2 PCIE 512GB and a 2.5" 512GB SATA III. So if you want to get the full performance experience get an M.2 PCIE SSD.

The refresh is standard 60hz, and some have made custom resolutions up to 100hz, but reported that exacerbated the persistence of images - not quite "burn-in" but that is how he described it. Someone else reported success at 70hz without persistence, and was going to try higher, but I haven't heard back from him.

I should also mention that someone else tried getting one of the cheaper models, and getting their own M.2 PCIE SSD, but wasn't successful making an Asus Backtracker restore from the 1TB HDD to their M.2 PCIE SSD boot - the restore worked, but he couldn't get it to boot - no further word from him either.

I would suck it up and pay the extra for the premium model, and get full support on the components. Those that purchase that configuration said the got the Samsung XP941 512GB M.2 PCIE SSD, which is currently the fastest one available - so you can't do better than that anyway 🙂

The only update I would do is to upgrade the memory from 1600mhz to 2133mhz with G.Skill memory. I have posted that part number in the memory sticky.

Good luck 🙂

CoryBee
Level 7
Thanks again, especially thanks to the detailed input.

If I were to get that exact drive would everything be fin. Or would I have issues getting the os on there?

Should be my last question;

Is there any information floating around about the next release of G751s?

I have the G750JZ and it is the sickest, with silver lining on the trackpad etc. Do you think sometime, maybe early 2015 there will be another version with some stuff like that and a 120hz screen with 3D support like some of the G750s?

As my lady said and I agree, I think the version I have looks much classier overall. But I gotta have that power! Either way I am going to purchase the G751 to play around with it before selling it or if I keep it, selling my G750JZ.

Cheers!
ASUS ROG G750JZ-XS72

CoryBee wrote:
Thanks again, especially thanks to the detailed input.

If I were to get that exact drive would everything be fin. Or would I have issues getting the os on there?

Should be my last question;

Is there any information floating around about the next release of G751s?

I have the G750JZ and it is the sickest, with silver lining on the trackpad etc. Do you think sometime, maybe early 2015 there will be another version with some stuff like that and a 120hz screen with 3D support like some of the G750s?

As my lady said and I agree, I think the version I have looks much classier overall. But I gotta have that power! Either way I am going to purchase the G751 to play around with it before selling it or if I keep it, selling my G750JZ.

Cheers!

CoryBee, there haven't been enough posts with detailed feedback to say for sure that using Asus Backtracker recoverr flash drive created for an HDD and used to restore to an M.2 PCIE SSD won't boot - only one reprot so far.

And, I don't know if cloning using Macrium Reflect works to clone from a original HDD to an M.2 PCIE SSD will be bootable - no reports on that yet.

You could be the first 🙂

You get used to the styling changes living with them day after day. I like the G750JH plain black with no chrome and white backlight, but that is because I am living with it day by day.

So I am not fond of the red backlight, red lettering, and red exhaust fins either, but I could get used to it 🙂

As far as speculating on future G751's, who knows, probably not even Asus - as new tech pops up they will be the first to consider a choice, but given past experience Asus don't seem partial to 3D support.

Higher resolution seems to be an interest for Asus - even though GPU's can't handle gaming at native resolution. Maybe they will recognize the futility of that for now, and bump up refresh rates as new panels become commercially available in quantity - a key consideration - Asus needs large amounts of anything to include it in a production G-series laptop.

G-sync would be nice with the higher refresh rates!

Future us will know, and maybe even buy it 🙂

I can get the Samsung XP941 512GB M.2 PCIE SSD for next to nothing so I might as well test it out for everyone.

I am not a huge fan of the red but I am sure it would grow on me. Plus I love modifying things (check my signature for the mod I did to my G750JZ) so it should be fun if I need to work some tweaks out.

Cheers man!
ASUS ROG G750JZ-XS72