cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Black screen/crash with 3 way sli GTX 980

Zordrack
Level 7
I'm running a 3 way sli setup. As soon as I start any 3d app in full screen mode the screen goes black and I can't do anything I have to restart the pc. In windowed mode it work fine. If I disable sli it work.
I tested all card seperatly they all work in full screen.
I tried changing sli bridge, clean driver installation, enable gen3 in bios... What's the problem ??

The problem only occur in full screen mode it seems to make the pc crash.I have the lastest bios version, windows is updated. I connected all power cord I could on the card and motherboard. The cards are not overheating... I have no clue what's going on ??
😞
I aslo tested on dvi port with monitor and hdmi port with my tv it does the same thing.

As soon as the cards are under load the screens goes black and it crash.

I did some test with sli bridge:

2 way sli that work

2 way sli that work

3 way sli don't work

3 way sli don't work

3 way sli don't work

none of these worked

with the dip switch here I can turn on/off each pcie slot, so tested each card in each slot and they are all working perfectly by themselves. I'm pretty sure the hardware is not failing. I really don't want to test an other mobo.

other test I did that didn't help:
-installed windows on an other ssd with nothing else except the nvidia driver
-clean driver uninstall in safe mode and installed every possible driver
-updated bios, reseted bios/cmos
-updated windows and every possible driver
-cleaning the SLI ports on the cards with isopropyl
-downclocking the core gpu
-tested every output
-tested different cable
-tested different display monitor/tv
-Pulled the bridge slightly out so it doesnt bottom, flipped it, moved it while it was under load
nothing work.

I found some sort of work around to make3 way sli work. My monitor 1440p plugged in the dvi port and my tv 1080p is plugged in the hdmi port. If I clone the monitor display with my tv I can use 3 way sli without crashing. But the resolution drop to 1080p. I tested with 3dmark and the third card is working because I get much higher score than two way sli.

That's weird why does it work in duplicate screen or single screen in windowed mode but not in full screen with single monitor.

My display model is a Qnix2710 evolution II connected with a d-dvi cable male/male and my tv is a samsung ue55f6400 connected with an hdmi cable. I'm using the d-dvi port and the hdmi port on the first card.

I'm using the pcie_x16_1, pcie_x8_2 and pcie_x16/x8_3 like it's written in the manual for 3 way sli. The power plug(ez-plug) at the bottom is connected. I also connected both eatx plug(8 and 4 pins) for the cpu at the top.

I also noticed when the screen become black if I wait long enough it will sometimes go back to desktop with error message unigine stopped working for example.

I really want this to work. I have been thinking about this issue night and day for the last week this is driving me crazy why 3 way sli wont work there's no reason... I don't see what else I could do

cpu I7 5930k
RAM quad channel corsair 4gb 2800mhz
psu corsair 1500axi
modo asus rampage v x99 (ez plug is plugged)
29 REPLIES 29

Karlo666
Level 7
Did you OCed your CPU same goes for RAM and GPUs?
Try full stock.
I seen JayzTwoCents had similar problem that 3rd GPU isnt working in SLI.
And after few days he found that his CPU OC was doing it.

Chino wrote:
Please list your complete system specifications as detailed as possible. Also specify which BIOS you're using and how you updated to it.

Also none of your images work. For future reference, use the forum's image uploader so they work better and load faster for us.

Karlo666 wrote:
Try full stock.

I tested default bios settings. The same thing happen with OCep cpu, ram, gpu.

Chino
Level 15
Please list your complete system specifications as detailed as possible. Also specify which BIOS you're using and how you updated to it.

Also none of your images work. For future reference, use the forum's image uploader so they work better and load faster for us.

Chino wrote:

I uploaded the images correctly now. I'm using 0802 bios and I updated it with ez-flash ( does it matter? ). I tested 0706 and out of the box bios. I will post my specs tonight I'm posting with my phone.

Karlo666 wrote:
Try full stock.

I tested default bios settings. The same thing happen with OCep or stock cpu, ram, gpu.

Zordrack wrote:
I will post my specs tonight I'm posting with my phone.

Please do. It will give me a better idea of what we're working with.

here are my spec

Windows: Windows Version 6.2 (Build 9200)
Internet Explorer: 9.11.9600.17416
Memory (RAM): 32638 MB corsair dominator platinum 2800mhz
CPU Info: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-5930K CPU @ 3.50GHz
CPU Speed: 3503,0 MHz
Sound Card: Haut-parleurs (Razer Surround A |
Realtek Digital Output (Realtek |

Display Adapters: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980 | NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980 | NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980 | NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980
Monitors: 1x; Generic PnP Monitor | Generic PnP Monitor | Generic PnP Monitor | Generic PnP Monitor |
Screen Resolution: 2048 X 1152 - 32 bit
Network: Network Present
Network Adapters: Intel(R) Ethernet Connection (2) I218-V | Carte virtuelle directe Wi-Fi Microsoft | Périphérique Bluetooth (réseau personnel) | Broadcom 802.11ac Network Adapter
CD / DVD Drives: 1x (I: | ) I: HL-DT-STBD-RE BH10LS30
Ports: COM Ports NOT Present. LPT Port NOT Present.
Mouse: 16 Button Wheel Mouse Present
Hard Disks: C: 476,0GB | 😧 3725,9GB | E: 1863,0GB | F: 232,8GB | G: 233,8GB | H: 232,9GB | R: 15,6GB
Hard Disks - Free: C: 318,6GB | 😧 3210,5GB | E: 1366,5GB | F: 108,6GB | G: 233,6GB | H: 106,5GB | R: 15,5GB
USB Controllers: 4 host controllers.
Firewire (1394): Not Detected
Manufacturer *: American Megatrends Inc.
Product Make *: All Series
AC Power Status: OnLine
BIOS Info: | |
Time Zone: Est
Battery Status: No Battery
Motherboard *: ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. RAMPAGE V EXTREME
IP Address: 192.168.1.105 |
MAC Address: 10-C3-7B-A1-D2-1B
Host Name: KARIM-PC
SM BIOS: 0802

Zordrack wrote:

Memory (RAM): 32638 MB corsair dominator platinum 2800mhz

Is that a single 32GB kit or two 16GB kits?

SpoonerUK
Level 7
I've got 3x780 in SLI on the specs in my sig below. Next week my 3 GTX980's arrive for an upgrade.

I noticed you're watercooled. What are your temps when running a 3d app/game in a window under load? Could you perhaps have misplaced one of the thermal pads when mounting your water blocks?

Have you used these cards/blocks in a previous machine / Install?

Talking of installs. Have you tried a complete windows reinstall ? It sounds more of a software issue than hardware TBH...

And just use the ROG 3 way SLI bridge, it should work just fine.
Rampage V Extreme || i7 5960x (127.5x28) || EKWB Cooling for CPU & GPUs || 8x4GB Corsair Dominator DDR4 2800 || 3x 3gb Asus GTX780 || 4x Samsung 840 250GB || Pioneer BDRW || ROG Xonar Phoebus || Corsair AX1500i PSU || Aquaero 5 XT || Lamptron 6 Channel Fan Controller || Razer Blackwidow Ultimate || Logitech G500s || Mountainmods.com - Ascension MASSIVE Chassis || 21x Coolermaster 120mm Fans

SpoonerUK wrote:
I've got 3x780 in SLI on the specs in my sig below. Next week my 3 GTX980's arrive for an upgrade.

I noticed you're watercooled. What are your temps when running a 3d app/game in a window under load? Could you perhaps have misplaced one of the thermal pads when mounting your water blocks?

Have you used these cards/blocks in a previous machine / Install?

Talking of installs. Have you tried a complete windows reinstall ? It sounds more of a software issue than hardware TBH...

And just use the ROG 3 way SLI bridge, it should work just fine.

It's all brand new stuff. My temps are around 38 °c under load on each card. I did try a fresh new install two time already. Thank you for your suggestion. Could you please tell me how it goes when you get your gtx 980.