cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

X99 RAMPAGE V EX + NOTURA NH-D15 problem with PCIe lanes?

bedelf
Level 7
So the noctura blocks the first PCIe slot on the mobo and I want to use 2 GTX 970's in SLI..

will they both be at x16 if they use slot 2 and 3 or 2 and 4 instead of the first slot? I don't know if slot position matters.

This is with an i7 5930k. I've tried reading around and some info I read makes it seems like with a 40 lane CPU it won't matter, and others make it seem like I have to use the first slot. Can anyone clarify this for me?
5 REPLIES 5

Chino
Level 15
Unfortunately, you need to use the first and fourth PCIe lanes to run a x16/x16 configuration. In any other PCIe slots, you'll only be able to run at x16/x8. As a sidenote, the difference from x16/x16 to x16/x8 isn't noticeable in real world usage. 😛

bedelf
Level 7
I noticed that the X99 DELUXE was supported for that cooler (I don't care for ANY type of liquid), you don't think it would be worth stepping down on the mobo or possibly finding a more compatible cooler?

Chino
Level 15

bedelf
Level 7
I honestly haven't seen any really great info on the difference between the two, other than some of the materials on the rampage make it easier to go higher for oc'ing and the oc software allows for more tweaking.

I've always been more of the "automatic" oc'ing type, I always think I'm going to get into tweaking on my next comp and I never do.

Other than that, the physical specs look almost identical.

Chino
Level 15
That's correct. The Rampage V Extreme is targeted at gamers and overclockers. So it comes with more options for tweaking and overclocking in addition to the gamer oriented features like Sonic Radar II, GameFirst III, etc...

If you're into the automatic overclocking features, the ASUS X99 Deluxe has the 5 Way Optimization in its favor.