cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Βig Dilemma, Asus g750JZ or Asus g751JT ?

Pasteli
Level 7
I find at same price Asus g750JZ and Asus g751JT and I do not know what to choose.

Specifically Specs in Greece shops:
g750JZ: i7-4710HQ - GTX 880m 8gb ddr5 – 16GB Ram – HDD 1TB + SSD 128GB 1650 euro
g751JT: i7-4710HQ - GTX 970m 3gb ddr3– 16GB Ram – HDD 1TB + SSD 128GB 1700 euro

From one side g750 has better GPU its more tested to time for weak points and on the other side g751(880m) has worst GPU (970m) but has more feature like 4k or DSR and has better screen IPS Matte compared to TN Matte g750. I am confused please help with arguments.

Thanks in advance
32 REPLIES 32

bookedirl
Level 7
970 > 880... Problem solved. I think you need to research that some more! Get the JT but make sure there's no other issues like others are posting in forums.

BRSxIgnition
Level 9
970 is better than the 880m by 30% - what's there to decide?

Even with my issues, I wholeheartedly recommend this laptop.

Pasteli
Level 7
Τhanks very much for the prompt replies. These links gpuboss and this =2866&cmp[]=2850&cmp[]=2981"]Passmark are false? Bookedirl suspicion usually problem in the audio for g750JT?

Pasteli wrote:
Τhanks very much for the prompt replies. These links gpuboss and this =2866&cmp[]=2850&cmp[]=2981"]Passmark are false? Bookedirl suspicion usually problem in the audio for g750JT?

That benchmark is for 880M 8GB vs 970 6GB models. The 970M in these laptops has 3GB and the 880M I believe has 4GB.

Issues so far seem to be related to sound mostly but there are a few others. Scroll down a bit to see some of the other threads.

bookedirl wrote:
That benchmark is for 880M 8GB vs 970 6GB models. The 970M in these laptops has 3GB and the 880M I believe has 4GB.

Issues so far seem to be related to sound mostly but there are a few others. Scroll down a bit to see some of the other threads.

I can't find any benchmark with gpu 880m 4gb and 970m at 3gb. In Greece is available with 880m 8gb ddr5 according shops descriptions.

Also nvidia website seems be better 880m. Check: 880m and 970m

Issues specific to jt Version or for all versions?

Display is much better on g751 or slightly?

Pasteli wrote:
I can't find any benchmark with gpu 880m 4gb and 970m at 3gb. In Greece is available with 880m 8gb ddr5 according shops descriptions.

Also nvidia website seems be better 880m. Check: 880m and 970m

Issues specific to jt Version or for all versions?

Display is much better on g751 or slightly?

Pasteli, on some benchmarks the 970m is better, and on some the 880m is better. A better comparison would be the 980m, but the 970m is within the range of the 800m and you likely won't notice the difference in games. 3GB is a bit small, but still large enough to do HD textures in 1080p mode which is the native resolution on the built in display.

The screen is IPS, which for most will be better, and just as good for the rest - response times and pixel persistence considered

The real win is that the G751JT/JY don't have Optmus, just a single direct connection to the Nvidia GPU 🙂

The G751's don't have a removeable battery, technically not an issue unless you like to take long trips and run on battery - you can't get extra batteries and swap them in /out. The Mac has had an internal non-user replaceable battery for a long time, and mostly works ok that way.

The new G751 is the way to go moving forward, you only need decide whether to pop for the full 980m... if you only do this once every 3 years I think it is worth going for the 980m 4GB.

Either one is a great laptop 🙂

Please come back and let us know what you end up getting and how you like it.

hmscott wrote:
Pasteli, on some benchmarks the 970m is better, and on some the 880m is better. A better comparison would be the 980m, but the 970m is within the range of the 800m and you likely won't notice the difference in games. 3GB is a bit small, but still large enough to do HD textures in 1080p mode which is the native resolution on the built in display.

The screen is IPS, which for most will be better, and just as good for the rest - response times and pixel persistence considered

The real win is that the G750JT/JY don't have Optmus, just a single direct connection to the Nvidia GPU 🙂

The G751's don't have a removeable battery, technically not an issue unless you like to take long trips and run on battery - you can't get extra batteries and swap them in /out. The Mac has had an internal non-user replaceable battery for a long time, and mostly works ok that way.

The new G751 is the way to go moving forward, you only need decide whether to pop for the full 980m... if you only do this once every 3 years I think it is worth going for the 980m 4GB.

Either one is a great laptop 🙂

Please come back and let us know what you end up getting and how you like it.

I Have 2 more questions

1) The optimus is a problem even when the laptop is plugged in?
2) I cant play 4k games in future with g750?

Pasteli wrote:
I Have 2 more questions

1) The optimus is a problem even when the laptop is plugged in?
2) I cant play 4k games in future with g750?

Pasteli, good questions 🙂

1) Optimus takes a simple need, and turns it into a complex disaster of epic proportions, and it has been this way for years.

What Optimus should do is one thing: On AC run all GPU requests to the Nvidia GPU, on Battery run all GPU requests to the Intel GPU. Simple.

What Optimus actually does:

Runs all video through the Intel iGPU on the same chip as the CPU - adding to heat and reducing the headroom for running the CPU.

Because all video runs through the Intel iGPU on AC and Battery, you can't use the Nvidia controls to set the resolution, refresh rate, video / image color balance, and anything that has to do with the video out portion of the Nvidia controls.

Optimus limits refresh to 60hz, so you can't change the display refresh higher as it will normally allow. No 100hz on the Chi Mei, no 70 hz on the AUO, no change for any panel above 60hz.

On AC, instead of defaulting to the Nvidia GPU, you are defaulted to the iGPU - for all Windows graphics all GPU requests go through the Intel iGPU - including Internet explorer and every tool that uses Windows graphics calls to display streaming video and any graphics display. That iGPU usage heats up the CPU die, which runs the heat controlled CPU fan at higher speed than needed - maybe audibly.

On AC, you have to configure manually each application not in the general database of 3D application settings to use the Nvida GPU. You do this by right clicking on the application icon and selecting the GPU to run on. Or, you can do this via the Nvidia Control panel Applications Settings tab in the 3D settings section. You can also set the Global setting to use the Nvidia GPU. Many applications ignore these settings and default to use the default GPU it finds with normal Windows graphics calls - which is the Intel iGPU.

On battery, it works the same.

2) You can play any game at any resolution that the configuration allows. Some intensive games will require more VRAM than 3GB/4GB for the highest resolution textures, like 4k. And, some intensive games at 4K will have too high of bandwidth requirements than a 970m/980m can provide - but those are the best GPU's available now, so you really don't have an alternative. For now the G751's represent the best available.

Remember, the game makers know their gaming population hardware - they will make a settings configuration available that will work on your 970m/980m 3GB/4GB cards for a long time to come. And, as performance requirements increase, lower texture settings will put less stress on the GPU - so the 3GB/4GB configurations probably match the GPU power / capabilities better than the higher 6GB/8GB configurations - yes they have more space for high resolution textures, but on 4K that will demand more bandwidth than the 970m/980 will be able to handle so those higher VRAM configurations might need to reduce their texture settings just to be able to keep FPS up to desired levels - negating the value of the larger VRAM - who knows? 🙂

hmscott wrote:
Pasteli, good questions 🙂

1) Optimus takes a simple need, and turns it into a complex disaster of epic proportions, and it has been this way for years.

What Optimus should do is one thing: On AC run all GPU requests to the Nvidia GPU, on Battery run all GPU requests to the Intel GPU. Simple.

What Optimus actually does:

Runs all video through the Intel iGPU on the same chip as the CPU - adding to heat and reducing the headroom for running the CPU.

Because all video runs through the Intel iGPU on AC and Battery, you can't use the Nvidia controls to set the resolution, refresh rate, video / image color balance, and anything that has to do with the video out portion of the Nvidia controls.

Optimus limits refresh to 60hz, so you can't change the display refresh higher as it will normally allow. No 100hz on the Chi Mei, no 70 hz on the AUO, no change for any panel above 60hz.

On AC, instead of defaulting to the Nvidia GPU, you are defaulted to the iGPU - for all Windows graphics all GPU requests go through the Intel iGPU - including Internet explorer and every tool that uses Windows graphics calls to display streaming video and any graphics display. That iGPU usage heats up the CPU die, which runs the heat controlled CPU fan at higher speed than needed - maybe audibly.

On AC, you have to configure manually each application not in the general database of 3D application settings to use the Nvida GPU. You do this by right clicking on the application icon and selecting the GPU to run on. Or, you can do this via the Nvidia Control panel Applications Settings tab in the 3D settings section. You can also set the Global setting to use the Nvidia GPU. Many applications ignore these settings and default to use the default GPU it finds with normal Windows graphics calls - which is the Intel iGPU.

On battery, it works the same.

2) You can play any game at any resolution that the configuration allows. Some intensive games will require more VRAM than 3GB/4GB for the highest resolution textures, like 4k. And, some intensive games at 4K will have too high of bandwidth requirements than a 970m/980m can provide - but those are the best GPU's available now, so you really don't have an alternative. For now the G751's represent the best available.

Remember, the game makers know their gaming population hardware - they will make a settings configuration available that will work on your 970m/980m 3GB/4GB cards for a long time to come. And, as performance requirements increase, lower texture settings will put less stress on the GPU - so the 3GB/4GB configurations probably match the GPU power / capabilities better than the higher 6GB/8GB configurations - yes they have more space for high resolution textures, but on 4K that will demand more bandwidth than the 970m/980 will be able to handle so those higher VRAM configurations might need to reduce their texture settings just to be able to keep FPS up to desired levels - negating the value of the larger VRAM - who knows? 🙂

Principle, Thank you very much for the very analytic answers. I have four additional questions for confirmation.

1)Optimus work only when the laptop is not plugged in, right?

2)When I run a program and do not want to run with processor gpu I can manually choose to run with Nvidia Gpu, correct?

3)When I surfing on the internet I cant choose manually Nvidia Gpu to work , right?

4)Accordance with what you said about 4k resolution gaming is better to choose g750ZY with Gtx880m 8gb vRam because It has more vRam and more bandwith, correctly? Ceck Compare