cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pro Tools 11 run on ASUS Notebook Series?

mja09006
Level 7
Hi I recently purchased an ASUS ROG G750JZ-DS71 laptop for production and gaming and I wanted to see if Pro Tools 11 could run on it. So far I have been running Pro Tools 9 with a message claiming there were compatibility issues, however the software still runs fine.

These are my specs:

Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4700HQ CPU @ 2.4GHz
24GB RAM
64-bit operating sytem, x64-based processor
1TB HDD and 156GB SSD
Windows 8 (64-bit)

I know spec-wise it'd be fine but I don't know if the software itself will be fine. Pro Tools is owned by Avid and they don't officially say PT11 runs with ASUS, but it could still work. Here's the link to AVID's site:

http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/e...dows-Computers
19 REPLIES 19

hmscott
Level 12
mja09006 wrote:
Hi I recently purchased an ASUS ROG G750JZ-DS71 laptop for production and gaming and I wanted to see if Pro Tools 11 could run on it. So far I have been running Pro Tools 9 with a message claiming there were compatibility issues, however the software still runs fine.
These are my specs:
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4700HQ CPU @ 2.4GHz
24GB RAM
64-bit operating sytem, x64-based processor
1TB HDD and 156GB SSD
Windows 8 (64-bit)

I know spec-wise it'd be fine but I don't know if the software itself will be fine. Pro Tools is owned by Avid and they don't officially say PT11 runs with ASUS, but it could still work. Here's the link to AVID's site:

http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/e...dows-Computers

mja09006, ain't it always the way, you post something, and the site goes down 🙂

The problem we have seen in the past with professional rendering software and the JM/JS/JZ is that Optimus gets in the way of doing the rendering on the Nvidia GPU. Optimus forces rendering to the iGPU - the Intel onboard GPU - even on AC power, which is a problem when you bought the laptop for the Nvidia GPU performance. 🙂

If you right click on the application icon you should be able to set the app to use the Nvidia GPU. Also set the Global Nvidia Control panel setting to use the Nvdia/HighPerformance GPU globally - and then set each Application Setting to do the same. Sometimes this works sometimes it doesn't.

The secondary effect is that the CPU/GPU load is all on the Intel GPU instead of spread across the CPU and Nvidia GPU, so you can thermally throttle on rendering jobs, which drops performance.

The best environment to do rendering is on a non-Optimus laptop - like the new G751JT/JY's, as those run all GPU work on the Nvidia GPU because the CPU on those laptops has the Intel iGPU disabled, no Optimus.

If you are on the G750JZ, here are some posts that may help tune for best performance if your app is stuck only running on the Intel iGPU. dblkk and a few of us worked on getting the rendering moved to the Nvidia GPU, failing that, finding the best tests to simulate the problem and then tune using Intel Extreme Tuning Utility XTU to set the CPU for best performance without entering Thermal Throttling and clamping down rendering performance.

Things to try ~CPU overheating JM/JS/JZ models~
http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?48594-Things-to-try-CPU-overheating-JM-JS-JZ-models

If you look at dblkk's posts, and some of the others with the same issue, you can gain insight into working with it.

Hopefully that is all not for you, check to see if the ProTools works properly under Optimus, and redirects GPU work to the Nvidia GPU.

Please let us know what you find. 🙂

Things to try ~CPU overheating JM/JS/JZ models~

Oh boy, I'll give that all a shot tomorrow when I upgrade my 11, maybe I'll see if I can run a demo version of it if Avid would ever comply XD

Thanks for the info though that all sounds really helpful and I really appreciate you explaining the whole potential issue I could run into, at least I'll know what I could do in case anything goes wrong. I'll keep in touch and let you know how things go with this software tomorrow - so far version 9 has been running fine on my machine and the G750 JZ does allow you to easily select the NVIDIA processor. So hopefully I can easily do this when I purchase 11.

Once again thank you very much for all the info, seriously helping me out in a big way. Will keep you informed 😄

mja09006 wrote:
Oh boy, I'll give that all a shot tomorrow when I upgrade my 11, maybe I'll see if I can run a demo version of it if Avid would ever comply XD

Thanks for the info though that all sounds really helpful and I really appreciate you explaining the whole potential issue I could run into, at least I'll know what I could do in case anything goes wrong. I'll keep in touch and let you know how things go with this software tomorrow - so far version 9 has been running fine on my machine and the G750 JZ does allow you to easily select the NVIDIA processor. So hopefully I can easily do this when I purchase 11.

Once again thank you very much for all the info, seriously helping me out in a big way. Will keep you informed 😄

mja09006, good news that PT9 lets you set the GPU, and it works 🙂

What is the compatibility issue it complains about? Do you have a link explaining the error, maybe from Avid?

I will look for your post when you get done configuring PT11 🙂

hmscott wrote:
mja09006, good news that PT9 lets you set the GPU, and it works 🙂

What is the compatibility issue it complains about? Do you have a link explaining the error, maybe from Avid?

I will look for your post when you get done configuring PT11 🙂

Thank you hmscott 😄 I took some pictures of the "compatibility issues" that PT9 shows me on boot. It's silly - it won't even bring me to Avid's site but rather the iLok site. I think the only issue is that the software is old and it still prompts the user to download an old version of the iLok License Manager software from back when that software was older. I have the most recent version of it now and obviously it still works as I can run PT9 efficiently anyways.

Here are some pictures showing what happens linearly:

aside from this PT9 runs fine it just prompts me that iLok License Manager is outdated even though you can go to that website separately and install the most recent version. No big deal essentially.

I'm going to upgrade to PT11 really soon, thanks for the help 😄 Hopefully it works lol

Wulff
Level 9
pro tools is an audio production program isnt it? so then the gpu might not be the biggest problem here. might be more problems with dpc latency and all. Im running traktor scratch pro on my asus and it took me quite some reading and everything to get it going asd smoothly as possible without any audio dropouts.

things i always do before running traktor are:

run msconfig and go to services and disable everything non microsoft you dont need specially ALL intel stuff that wants to load on boot. I also stop my antivirus and all other stuff from running at boot as well. then i disable my wifi and lan adapter at device manager as well since those cause lots of dpc latency here.

when thats all done you could start disabling services if you still have dpc issues, i dont do that anymore cause here its fine when i disable those things i mentioned

Kind regards: Wulff

Wulff wrote:
pro tools is an audio production program isnt it? ...

Wulff, thanks for pointing that out. I associate Avid with video, but the ProTools are the Audio tools:

http://www.avid.com/US/products/family/Pro-Tools

Optimus still sucks, but affects this situation to a lessor degree 😉

Thanks!

Wulff wrote:
pro tools is an audio production program isnt it? so then the gpu might not be the biggest problem here. might be more problems with dpc latency and all. Im running traktor scratch pro on my asus and it took me quite some reading and everything to get it going asd smoothly as possible without any audio dropouts.

things i always do before running traktor are:

run msconfig and go to services and disable everything non microsoft you dont need specially ALL intel stuff that wants to load on boot. I also stop my antivirus and all other stuff from running at boot as well. then i disable my wifi and lan adapter at device manager as well since those cause lots of dpc latency here.

when thats all done you could start disabling services if you still have dpc issues, i dont do that anymore cause here its fine when i disable those things i mentioned

Kind regards: Wulff

Yes Pro Tools is audio production mostly for mixing and mastering, I love it for producing beats which is my primary focus as a musician. Thanks for your information too as well I'll check this out when the upgrade is installed that helps I'd imagine on traktor you'd be running a lot of high quality WAVs at the same time. That sounds like a lot of different things to manage on each start up, would you mind teaching me how to do all that? I feel a little nooby when it comes to deeper computing issues but disabling all the intel stuff in msconfig would only be temporary right? I feel dumb for asking hahaha, but will it all be enabled when restarting the machine?

I haven't had much latency issues in the past when running Pro Tools and I know other methods of dealing with it in production software that I can share as well but hopefully I won't have trouble with these issues. If you'd like any of that info though let me know and I'll gladly share.

Thanks I greatly appreciate it.

mja09006
Level 7
Update:

I placed the order for PT11 today and it requires an iLok 2 so I have to wait for that to ship by Friday. So I probably will be able to install Friday or Saturday and will let you all know around then. Again thanks for the help!

-mja

Wulff
Level 9
i dont know if there would be someone here that perhaps could show us how to create a batch file that would disable all we need at once, i can manage to do that with serives i dont want but it would be quite handy to have for everything else as well even disable the lan card and everything, so that you just have batch file called for example pro tools and then that would be it

for the latency issues , i didnt have any on my previous laptop either here but it seems the combination of this chipset and usb3.0 can cause problems when using an external soundcard, wich i assume you want to use

and no not everything will be re-enabled cause those services you disbale thru msconfig need re-enabling as well as the boot things you see when you press ctrl, alt, delete.

but for me it was more then worth it cause i spend like 2 months in dpc hell cause i had those crackles and audio dropouts the whole time on my 1900 euro machine