cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question on Memory Slots available in G750JS-DS71

Reckonerz
Level 7
Hi Rog's,

I would like to know how many RAM slots are available in G750JS-DS71.

My default config came with 16GB RAM. I am looking to bump some more RAM.

I am not sure how that 16GB is installed, Is it 8+8 in 2 Slots or 16 in 1 Slot?

How much more should I buy to have 32 GB.

And also let me know some high performance RAM's that you recommend for gaming.

I am okie to replace existing 16GB.

Appreciate if some one can answer my question.

Regards,
Reck
9 REPLIES 9

code9523
Level 9
Simply download a cpu z and it will show slots with memory and other good stuff!
Asus G74SX> Asus G55VW 3D> Asus G75VW 3D> Asus G750JW> Asus G750JX> Asus G750JH

Reckonerz
Level 7

Looks like i have 4 slots, By default its installed with 2 8GB sticks of 800 MHz on slot 2 & 4. Slots 1 & 3 are free.

Can i install another 2 sticks of 8 GB with 1600 MHz? Or does it need match freq on all 4 slots?

code9523
Level 9
Your memory instelled is 1600mhz 1.35V! Manufacturer Hynix 8Gb per slot https://www.skhynix.com/products/computing/view.jsp?info.ramKind=20&info.serialNo=HMT41GS6AFR8A
The best way to upgrade ram is to buy same manufacturer and same frequency and voltage ram sticks. Because adding ram with another parameters like frequency and voltage is DANGEROUS and may DAMAGE your laptop or system may start BSODing! This ram is good enough I have the same Hynix sticks running good. Search shops I think you can find same sticks at your local store.
P.S. Before installing a new ram turn off your laptop remove battery and hold power button for 30sec.

i found this one as well with 1.35v Crucial 16GB Kit

Let me know which RAM suits correctly.

Reckonerz
Level 7
Hi Code,

i wasnt able to find Hynix brand in any local stores. Looks like to i have to choose another brand.

This is what i have found :

Crucial 16GB Kit (8GBx2) DDR3/DDR3L 1600 MHz (PC3-12800) CL11 SODIMM

Pls let me know if the above RAM would fit in well with the spec?

The spec states it ll work with 1.35/1.5V? Is that okie or i should choose specifically?

Thanks

hmscott
Level 12
Guys, it is best for compatibility to add the same make/model of memory, and the Hynix make is readily available everywhere as PC / Mac is made with them. I got my 4th SODIMM from an ebay listing for pulls from Macs. It worked right off, and is the same as the other 3 SODIMM's that came with my G750JH.

In order to get an advantage in memory over the stock make/model you would need to replace all 4 SODIMM's with 4 of something better, like a 2133mhz DDR3L SODIMM, which work at full speed in the G750.

It isn't predicable whether the Crucial memory you are looking at is compatible, it might work ok, it might not, why take the chance to save a few bucks? You might end up installing it and then you have problems later and you waste a bunch of time debugging them, only to find that when you remove the new memory the problems stop. Then it will be to late to return - past 15 day return window - and you are stuck with them, and then need to go and buy the original make/model anyway.

IDK what it is, but there is a huge desire to use anything other than the stock memory, we see it all the time. Even though it isn't as good, and has the same specs, just to save a couple of bucks people will chance it. If you have that urge, resist it, there are lots of stories of people having problems with mixing non-stock make/model memory in the past. Look at the memory sticky thread in the G750 forum.

Speaking of, we really should be having this conversation here, in the G750 memory sticky thread 🙂

Read this thread, starting with the newest, and/or jump around for fun reading.

Upgraders: 1.35V memory is required!
http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?33744-Upgraders-1-35V-memory-is-required!&p=272284&viewfull...

Get the stock memory, it's worth it 🙂

code9523
Level 9
In past I replaced whole stock 8gb 1333mhz ram in asus g74sx by Kingston hyperx 1600mhz 16gb 4gb per slot it works fine for 2 years without any issues! I use to add 2 Samsung 8gb ram sticks to my friends g75 at stock he had Hynix ram 2x4 + 2x4 Samsung! Everything forks fine for 2 month. But I hadn't experimented with my g750jw I only added a same stick as was installed in stock. No one cant give you 100% warranty how will your laptop work when you add another ram from another brand! "In theory" the matching parameters should work fine but on practice they may not! It's a lottery! There is plenty of Hynix ram on ebay: http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odkw=asus+g750&_from=R40&_osacat=0&_from=R40&_trksid=p2045573.m570.l...
Try to find matching ram.

Reckonerz
Level 7
Hey thanks guys for your kind piece of inputs. Appreciate your help on this.

I will go ahead and order similar Hynix stock model.

I will keep you posted if I run into any issues.

Have a great weekend !!

- Reck

Hi everyone. I have a G750 badly in need of more memory.
Researching the subject led me to this ROG thread as well as the 1.35v memory thread. https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?53752-1-35V-memory-required-in-G751-G771-G551s-(same-as-G7...

Using the CPU-Z utility to identify exactly what memory sticks are already installed in that G750 was indicated.
Problem: CPU-Z's SPD tab shows no data whatsoever. See the images below.
All other tabs are populated. Makes no difference which Slot you choose, nothing is displayed on that tab.
The results are the same whether CPU-Z is used or ROGCPU-Z is used.
The results are the same on that G750 and on a G75 I also own.
The G750 is the base configuration G750 (8gig 1tb) and has a 25" Asus secondary monitor attached.
The G75 is likewise the base configuration (8gig 1tb) and also has its own 25" Asus secondary monitor.
The os on both machines is Win10 and is current insofaras MS patches.
CPUX.ini's SPD setting is SPD=1. All CPUZ.ini settings including SPD are as installed btw.

Based upon this thread and the linked thread above I want to identify exactly which memory is in that G750. Likely it will be two of the 4gb 1.35v Hynix DDR3 S0DIMM.
But, likely does not mean certainly.

Any suggestions for how to get CPU-Z or ROGCPU-Z to function properly and populate the SPD tab?
Should I use a different utility such as maybe HWINFO?
Thanks.
R