cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G750JZ - Video TDR Timeouts (several applications)

alex_proffitt
Level 7
Hey all, new guy here 🙂
I've had my G750JZ for 3 months. Since I've had it I've had a problem with receiving either "NVIDIA display driver has stopped responding" or Blue Screen VIDEO_TDR_TIMEOUTS.
Initially I put this down to relatively new hardware and that driver maturity would solve the problem.
I'm currently using the latest drivers via Geforce Experience, but I've had the same issue using the latest drivers from the ASUS support website.

I've currently experienced the issue using the following:-

1) World of Warcraft - The will blue screen the machine within 2 minutes of being in the world. Fans lock on full and off it goes. The only way I can stop this from happening is by running the machine on battery (limits fps drastically, not to mention play time!) or to manually downclock the GPU memory (200Mhz) and core using Afterburner.

2) Battlefield 3 - Takes a bit longer, maybe 10 minutes.

3) Unity3D - Usually crashes when I go to run my game in the editor (and most of the time when I've got unsaved changes!).

From experience are other people here experiencing the same with their JZ's?
Temps don't seem to be the issue, externally everything stays cool - fans don't ramp up and Afterburner says everything is staying in the 65-70 degree range.

Do you think I have a case for a replacement?
Have I just got a "poor" GPU in my unit?

Whilst I love the power of my laptop in most tasks, it currently feels like a bit of a disappointment because I can't use it's full power for the things I actually really enjoy.

Any experience or advice appreciated!
7 REPLIES 7

jmhdj
Level 10
Count me in. I had mine for one day and it does same thing like yours. I updated video driver imidiately so cant say what would happen on original one. But it crashes on any gpu demanding task after max 2 minutes.

beatc
Level 7
What is your graphic driver version?

jmhdj
Level 10
Mine is latest per date 344.75

beatc
Level 7
try revert to the old version. mine is 322.60 and i don't face any issues yet while playing games and etc

jmhdj
Level 10
Do you have link to that particular driver maybe?

beatc
Level 7
Sorry, I don't have. My laptop came with that version when i bought it. Try check Asus support page.

Just a quick update. After mailing Asus I was advised to perform a full System Restore and test again with stock drivers to eliminate a software / driver conflict.
I've done this and the problem is still present. Running the Unigine Valley benchmark I can guarantee a BSOD Video_TDR_Failure after 30 - 40 seconds.
I've recorded a video of this and attached it to my RMA request.
I will keep you guys updated on the outcome. On the plus side Asus' terms quote a 7 working day turn around, which if they stick to it, will be impressive.