cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G751 - Problem with USB3.0 ports (left side) and external HD... anyone else?

Richdog
Level 7
So, I am now experiencing a problem whereby when I attach my external 3.5" WD HDD to the USB ports on the left side of the ASUS G751 and copy large amounts of data, the throughput will drop and then the HDD will disconnect. I verified this multiple times in both ports. In the ports on the right side, it works fine.

I did some reading and found a forum post where someone stated: http://forum.notebookreview.com/asus-gaming-notebook-forum/765303-considering-g751.html#post9836352

next.... USB 3.0 problems..

basically, I had to connect my USB drives to the right ports and the left ones were kept for my mouse and printer? why? because ASUS cannot produce a piece of hardware that functions right! they claim all ports are USB 3.0 and they are all in blue color...BIG LIE! it wasn't only me, I posted this on the ROG forums and every single one of the members verified the same!

My question is what the hell is causing this, and how can it be fixed? I do not want a laptop where 2x USB ports are essentially useless, and this seems to be a widespread issue dating back to earlier models like the G750. Why has this not been addressed and fixed?

If anyone else has this issue please post here... :mad:
270 REPLIES 270

MokiCzech
Level 7
Man, I just made thread about this. Left port (the one closer to me, the other one is OK) keeps dropping connection every 10 seconds or so. I can't copy anything to my HDD because it keeps closing and opening it, and my mouse when connected to that port keeps getting DC'd. I am "glad" I am not alone in this, but it freaking sucks. I paid $2000 for the laptop and it has problems right out of the box. That's not what I experienced with G75VW I had previously.

CÃ_dric
Level 7
C'mon same problem here!! The one closer to me is bugged as hell..
WTF with those ROGs? There's a new bug every day.

MokiCzech
Level 7
I won't be keeping mine. Going to bring it back tomorrow. I really loved my G75VW and I really like this one if it wasn't for all this sh*t. Sure, keyboard layout is highly questionable and keyboard without backlight is really hard to read, but that's about all the things I don't like. I can live with these. But I can't live with the fact that $2000 gaming laptop doesn't have working USB ports, has sound problems and keeps giving me BSODs while playing 3 year old games. Meh.

BRSxIgnition
Level 9
I thought it may have been just a little error or something with my drive...

Go figure - I've got two massive problems with this machine.

Anyone know when/if HP will release an OMEN 17 laptop? (HP laptops are the only ones that have never crapped out on me.)

toronto699
Level 13
BSRxlgnition I refused the G751JT from Canada Computes "audio from sub only" thank goodness for "Corporate American Express" I can just walk away , As For HP , I Miss MY HP HDX 18 , Canada Computes spent almost a week trying to fix the "Sub Only Audio Issue" NO FIX , No Solution" They tried all kinds of solutions they said. But I have A G751-JY-DH72X with some modifications that works perfectly .

BRSxIgnition
Level 9
Yeah - for the first time in forever, I think I rather actually be without a computer for a while and just wait. I've had it with all the issues this thing has, and I'm looking up an alternative 970m or equivalent computer.

Thing is, for me, I have to go back across the border to return mine - unless Amazon.com (US) accepts returns from across the border. (Canada)

They have a week to issue a patch for the "Sub-only-Sound" and Lower Left USB port issues, or I'm returning my computer and swearing off Asus for good, regardless.

Richdog
Level 7
These are annoying issues, but for me not yet a complete dealbreaker... the price I got for this machine was simply too good and so I am willing to wait it out for a bit.

However, ASUS need to achknowledge and fix these issues... and the moderators here need to do their part to raise awareness too!

andreacos92
Level 9
Similar problem on G750 here

Some fixed the issue disabling Asus USB Charger Plus, other updating chipset drivers.

andreacos92 wrote:
Similar problem on G750 here

Some fixed the issue disabling Asus USB Charger Plus, other updating chipset drivers.

I can confirm that uninstalling ASUS USB charger plus does NOT work.

Which chipset drivers did people update, the ASUS ones or other specific ones? Thanks. 🙂